Toughest ACC non-conference schedule: GT of course

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
CPJ quipped that GT was more like a service academy than a typical P5 program. He also said that Tech was pretty much a 7-5 team.

If you look at our last 20 years, we have a wpt of 0.529. You could argue that under Collins, those years are outliers, and that's fine. If so, we can use 0.57. The point is, Tech is pretty much a 7 win program.

The question is, will it ever be anything better than that? If you start with the assumption of losing to Clemson, FSU and UGA every year ... you have to pretty much run the table to do better than 7 wins. It might happen occasionally but ... the big difference is Tech doesn't have the ability to recruit, hold onto and develop players .... teams are now using the portal and you have to assemble a new team every year.

If you can beat the bottom of the conference and the OOC opponents, you might be 6-6. An occasional upset gets you to 7-5 and maybe a bowl. Given the new reality of CFB, I would be delighted if we could win 7 a year for the next few years and somewhat earn our reputation back.
I’m confused (fairly common these days, unfortunately). You’re saying 7-5 is pretty much our ceiling most years. But you also stated how we should schedule the tough teams, and implied we should aspire to be like Notre Dame (play anyone, anywhere). So are you happy with 6-6 or 7-5, as long as we lose to good teams?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Out of 131 teams, you’re quibbling over being ranked 113 vs 121?

The fact is, we weren't very good, and don't yet know how we're going to be this year. We have to at least best weak sisters in our own conference. If we can’t beat Boston College and UVA, I don’t know what to tell you.
Fixed it for you (emphasis mine)

Yet we beat UNC, Pitt, VT, and Duke (top 3 in our division). I agree with @yeti92 in that there are a bunch of other also-rans that honestly had worse showings but were ranked higher.

In the end, if we play better and win decently this year, we'll be thought of as better and have something to build on. I think most of us are cautiously optimistic that we'll not only show better (record), but we'll perform better (metrics), which should raise our status with some of the talking heads.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I’m confused (fairly common these days, unfortunately). You’re saying 7-5 is pretty much our ceiling most years. But you also stated how we should schedule the tough teams, and implied we should aspire to be like Notre Dame (play anyone, anywhere). So are you happy with 6-6 or 7-5, as long as we lose to good teams?
I didn't say replace Bowling Green with Alabama.

We are already in a weak conference. Boston College and UVA are among the weakest teams in the country. You are going to have to play somebody reasonably good if you are to have any reputation at all. There's nothing wrong with playing low end SEC teams (Vandy, MS State) or any midling teams. UGA and Clemson are enough for star power. But you can't play Northwestern every game.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

We are already in a weak conference. Boston College and UVA are among the weakest teams in the country. You are going to have to play somebody reasonably good if you are to have any reputation at all. There's nothing wrong with playing low end SEC teams (Vandy, MS State) or any midling teams. UGA and Clemson are enough for star power. But you can't play Northwestern every game.
How does BC and UVa stack up to Missouri, MS State, and Vandy? I'd say they're comparable.

Edit: This comment is gut-feel, based on no reliable data.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
How does BC and UVa stack up to Missouri, MS State, and Vandy? I'd say they're comparable.

Edit: This comment is gut-feel, based on no reliable data.
Those teams are generally year to year teams that have some good years/teams and some bad years/teams. Generally they are in the 7-5 to 5-7 range. When they have very good QBs, and both have recently, they are difficult. UVA was a disaster last year after being pretty good under Bronco. Will be interesting to see how patient the AD is.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
To me, this is what an average P5 team should achieve. Anything below this is subpar, above this is moving in the right direction.
The catch is, as we strive to move up to "average", we are playing a schedule significantly tougher than average. And I disagree that we will get credit points for losing to UGA, Clemson, Notre Dame, and an ascendant FSU next year.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
When we scheduled Ole Miss, we were better and they weren’t as good. They improved, and we went downhill. Hopefully, we get better now.
Ws there any doubt that Ole Miss would improve? And that their advantages in recruiting probably meant that they would be a tough out for most of the coming years? I'm an Ole Miss fan, right behind Tech and Mississippi State. I knew they'd get better; it was only a matter of finding the right coach. If I knew it then Stansbury should have known it too. And not scheduled them.

Why, oh, why does Tech keep doing this? As I've also said over and over and over and over and over and over, 10 years from now nobody will be interested in anything but our win/loss record. And, I might add, that's what the recruits will be looking at as well.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

Again, will you be happy with 6-6 and 7-5 seasons, or would you rather us have a better W/L record, even if it is accomplished by replacing a probable loss with a probable win? As you stated, we have Clemson and UGA for star power, and next year we will have 3-4 of those.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
At the risk of being repetitive, describing 7-5 as “attainable” (stretch goal) just reinforces my point about avoiding tough scheduling as we rebuild. We’ve fired coaches for going 7-5 routinely.
Agree... and disagree.

We've fired coaches for 7-5... true. Was he really fired for 7-5 or was he fired because 7 wins and a loss to UGA started to feel more like a ceiling? I think it was the latter. If we can be a "7-5" team most years (with gusts up to 8, 9 or even 10 wins occasionally...hopefully), that's improvement. I don't think 7-5 is a stretch goal, but its a next (necessary) step. I feel like that needs to be our standard, not our goal.

I don't disagree with the premise regarding OOC, but I feel like 5-3 in conference is where we want to be. Four ACC wins and three OOC patsies is not the 7-5 "standard" in my mind.

As I posted a while ago, if we can start getting 6+ ACC wins, I'm all for ditching tough OOC P5 matchups. Nine regular season wins with an ACCCG upset puts you in the discussion for expanded playoff.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree... and conceding those four, we need to get to a point where we still feel 5-3 conference, 7-5 overall is attainable.

That said, next year is a real bear... in addition to those four being longshots, only one of them is a true road game, and it’s out of conference! That means that ACC teams we should be competitive with are on the road (NCST, Cuse, VT, Lville).
We really need to get better in a hurry!
and FSU in Dublin is a ACC home game for GT and Notre Dame at Mercedes. So FSU in 2 of the next 3 years is in Dublin and Tallahasee. How does that make any sense? Unless we are getting a big payout to play in Dublin, another mistake in scheduling.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
and FSU in Dublin is a ACC home game for GT and Notre Dame at Mercedes. So FSU in 2 of the next 3 years is in Dublin and Tallahasee. How does that make any sense? Unless we are getting a big payout to play in Dublin, another mistake in scheduling.
RIGHT! It’s a “road” conference game for FSU... and the whiny little twits say the ACC is screwing THEM!

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
To me, this argument has valid answers in both camps. Winning aids recruiting, but recruits also want to play in big games. We currently offer recruits the opportunity to play uga, Clemson, FSU, ND, and Miami, yet since we weren't winning routinely, they weren't buying in as well as we'd have liked. So in and of itself, big games against tough opponents isn't going to move the needle. If we were to schedule 3 cupcakes to go with uga on non-ND years, that would also likely hamper recruiting. IMO, you need a bit of both. Since we will (probably) always have uga, then on non-ND years schedule a P5, G5, and an FCS team. On ND years schedule a G5 and an FCS team.

Now the question becomes which P5 team? Vary it. Bring Vandy back again. Get Auburn in the building again. I'd love a rematch with Tennessee. Shoot for a home and home with Oregon, Purdue, or Iowa St.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
BC and UVA are not OOC.
You said ACC was a weak conference and went on to say BC and UVa were among the weakest in the nation. Do you think MS State, Missouri, and Vandy are not among the weakest in the nation? As I said, I put them on par with each other. Illinois, NU, Rutgers, UM, Indiana, and Purdue are in the same boat. I'm assuming you're only talking P5 teams.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Agree... and disagree.

We've fired coaches for 7-5... true. Was he really fired for 7-5 or was he fired because 7 wins and a loss to UGA started to feel more like a ceiling? I think it was the latter. If we can be a "7-5" team most years (with gusts up to 8, 9 or even 10 wins occasionally...hopefully), that's improvement. I don't think 7-5 is a stretch goal, but its a next (necessary) step. I feel like that needs to be our standard, not our goal.

I don't disagree with the premise regarding OOC, but I feel like 5-3 in conference is where we want to be. Four ACC wins and three OOC patsies is not the 7-5 "standard" in my mind.

As I posted a while ago, if we can start getting 6+ ACC wins, I'm all for ditching tough OOC P5 matchups. Nine regular season wins with an ACCCG upset puts you in the discussion for expanded playoff.
First, I’ve never suggested that 7-5 attained via 3 OOC patsies should be a standard. It can, however, be employed as part of a path to rebuilding.

Perhaps I misunderstood your earlier post regarding 7-5 as attainable. Or perhaps you’re moving the goalposts. Either way, I agree that getting back to seeing the type of win-loss records that we saw during CPJ’s tenure would be a massive improvement. Of course, if we did that, we would still have a fair share of fans (not me) grumbling about “accepting mediocrity”.

I don’t think we disagree on the ultimate goals for the team. But I see easier scheduling as a means to get there rather than a reward after we are good.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
next year we have FSU, Clemson, Notre Dame and UGA on the schedule. My guess will all will be in Top 15.
Team should be better next year but that is a brutal schedule for a team trying to rebuild into a winning program. The line play on both sides of the ball is where we really need to improve.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You said ACC was a weak conference and went on to say BC and UVa were among the weakest in the nation. Do you think MS State, Missouri, and Vandy are not among the weakest in the nation? As I said, I put them on par with each other. Illinois, NU, Rutgers, UM, Indiana, and Purdue are in the same boat. I'm assuming you're only talking P5 teams.

Per preseason FPI, MS ST is 16th, Mizzou is 38th, and Vandy, the lowest ranked SEC team, clocks in at 88, which is better than three ACC teams, including GT. 13 of the 14 SEC teams are ranked in the top 50, 46 being the lowest other than the obvious outlier in Vanderbilt. 25 P5 teams are ranked below the 13th ranked SEC team.

RkTeam ARkTeam BRkTeam CRkTeam DRkTeam ERkTeam FRkTeam GRkTeam HRkTeam I
1Georgia16Mississippi State31Oregon State46Arkansas61Duke76UTSA91San Jose State106Rutgers121Texas State
2Alabama17Washington32Oklahoma State47James Madison62Western Kentucky77UAB92South Alabama107Western Michigan122Rice
3Ohio State18Florida33Cincinnati48Fresno State63Troy78Ohio93Wyoming108Temple123UTEP
4Michigan19Minnesota34Tulane49Memphis64Indiana79San Diego State94Coastal Carolina109Central Michigan124Bowling Green
5LSU20Iowa35Texas Tech50Maryland65Louisiana80Buffalo95Boston College110Arkansas State125Charlotte
6Tennessee21Wisconsin36Air Force51Purdue66Marshall81Arizona96Georgia Tech111Northern Illinois126Connecticut
7Penn State22Florida State37Wake Forest52Michigan State67Nebraska82Northwestern97Georgia State112Nevada127New Mexico
8Clemson23USC38Missouri53North Carolina68Army83Stanford98North Texas113UNLV128New Mexico State
9Texas24Auburn39Washington State54NC State69Navy84Florida Atlantic99Utah State114South Florida129Akron
10Utah25Ole Miss40Illinois55Appalachian State70Kansas85Toledo100Eastern Michigan115Louisiana Tech130Florida International
11Kansas State26Texas A&M41South Carolina56SMU71Arizona State86Tulsa101Miami (OH)116Old Dominion131Sam Houston
12Notre Dame27Iowa State42UCLA57BYU72California87Liberty102Southern Mississippi117Colorado131Jacksonville State
13Oregon28Baylor43Boise State58Houston73Miami88Vanderbilt103Kent State118UL Monroe133Massachusetts
14Oklahoma29UCF44Louisville59Syracuse74East Carolina89Virginia Tech104Middle Tennessee119Colorado State
15TCU30Kentucky45Pittsburgh60West Virginia75Virginia90Georgia Southern105Ball State120Hawaii