Toughest ACC non-conference schedule: GT of course

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Per preseason FPI, MS ST is 16th, Mizzou is 38th, and Vandy, the lowest ranked SEC team, clocks in at 88, which is better than three ACC teams, including GT. 13 of the 14 SEC teams are ranked in the top 50, 46 being the lowest other than the obvious outlier in Vanderbilt.

RkTeam ARkTeam BRkTeam CRkTeam DRkTeam ERkTeam FRkTeam GRkTeam HRkTeam I
1Georgia16Mississippi State31Oregon State46Arkansas61Duke76UTSA91San Jose State106Rutgers121Texas State
2Alabama17Washington32Oklahoma State47James Madison62Western Kentucky77UAB92South Alabama107Western Michigan122Rice
3Ohio State18Florida33Cincinnati48Fresno State63Troy78Ohio93Wyoming108Temple123UTEP
4Michigan19Minnesota34Tulane49Memphis64Indiana79San Diego State94Coastal Carolina109Central Michigan124Bowling Green
5LSU20Iowa35Texas Tech50Maryland65Louisiana80Buffalo95Boston College110Arkansas State125Charlotte
6Tennessee21Wisconsin36Air Force51Purdue66Marshall81Arizona96Georgia Tech111Northern Illinois126Connecticut
7Penn State22Florida State37Wake Forest52Michigan State67Nebraska82Northwestern97Georgia State112Nevada127New Mexico
8Clemson23USC38Missouri53North Carolina68Army83Stanford98North Texas113UNLV128New Mexico State
9Texas24Auburn39Washington State54NC State69Navy84Florida Atlantic99Utah State114South Florida129Akron
10Utah25Ole Miss40Illinois55Appalachian State70Kansas85Toledo100Eastern Michigan115Louisiana Tech130Florida International
11Kansas State26Texas A&M41South Carolina56SMU71Arizona State86Tulsa101Miami (OH)116Old Dominion131Sam Houston
12Notre Dame27Iowa State42UCLA57BYU72California87Liberty102Southern Mississippi117Colorado131Jacksonville State
13Oregon28Baylor43Boise State58Houston73Miami88Vanderbilt103Kent State118UL Monroe133Massachusetts
14Oklahoma29UCF44Louisville59Syracuse74East Carolina89Virginia Tech104Middle Tennessee119Colorado State
15TCU30Kentucky45Pittsburgh60West Virginia75Virginia90Georgia Southern105Ball State120Hawaii
This is garbage. It means nothing to me. Almost all of the teams on this list have had so much turnover on their teams that the numbers from past seasons (what this is based on) don't matter. In addition, there is an SEC bias, and rising tides float all ships.

However, I will say, that my comment was a gut feeling and at least you have data behind what you're saying. Let's see how these teams do when they play each other. I would love to have a 1:1 comparison at the end of the season. Unfortunately, there will still be the SEC bias, so I expect it to be skewed somewhat.

All this being said, I really only care about GT and how we fare.

slugboy

Staff member
Ws there any doubt that Ole Miss would improve? And that their advantages in recruiting probably meant that they would be a tough out for most of the coming years? I'm an Ole Miss fan, right behind Tech and Mississippi State. I knew they'd get better; it was only a matter of finding the right coach. If I knew it then Stansbury should have known it too. And not scheduled them.

Why, oh, why does Tech keep doing this? As I've also said over and over and over and over and over and over, 10 years from now nobody will be interested in anything but our win/loss record. And, I might add, that's what the recruits will be looking at as well.
Was there doubt they’d improve? Yes—Ole Miss had been hovering around the same range for most of our lives.

Ole Miss had repeatedly hired an OK coach but not a good one.

Kiffin is more effective than their previous coaches

I suppose that it was predictable that we’d hire a bad coach to follow Johnson, but the AD making the hire and the boosters involved sure didn’t see it. Also, it’s amazing how bad he was

The main issue isn’t Ole Miss—it’s GT falling off of a cliff. It’s not scheduling—It’s getting drastically worse in one year, and never improving.

If we were middle-of-the-pack P5, Ole Miss would be a winnable game—maybe an upset, but a marquee game worth watching. Maybe they’re favored by 4.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
and FSU in Dublin is a ACC home game for GT and Notre Dame at Mercedes. So FSU in 2 of the next 3 years is in Dublin and Tallahasee. How does that make any sense? Unless we are getting a big payout to play in Dublin, another mistake in scheduling.
Why does Jacksonville play more games in London than Dallas? Because there is little fan interest in them. There is little fan interest in GT so we give up the home game. This is a no brained for the ACC.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
First, I’ve never suggested that 7-5 attained via 3 OOC patsies should be a standard. It can, however, be employed as part of a path to rebuilding.

Perhaps I misunderstood your earlier post regarding 7-5 as attainable. Or perhaps you’re moving the goalposts. Either way, I agree that getting back to seeing the type of win-loss records that we saw during CPJ’s tenure would be a massive improvement. Of course, if we did that, we would still have a fair share of fans (not me) grumbling about “accepting mediocrity”.

I don’t think we disagree on the ultimate goals for the team. But I see easier scheduling as a means to get there rather than a reward after we are good.
I didn’t (intentionally) attribute the 3 OOC patsies to you. That was my personal qualifier... if not eloquently presented.

My position; We need to be a 7-5 team and 5 of those ought to be ACC wins. If we go 5-3 in ACC, our OOC can be 2-2 and we’re where we “ought” to be. If we schedule easier OOC, I still believe we need to win 5 ACC games and therefore 8 overall. I don’t think I moved the goal posts (thanks for the benefit of the doubt)... my point is that sustained 7-5 doesn’t feel very doable yet, but its where we should be. We have a lot of improvement needed to get there.

All of that said, next year will be the third year in a row (I think) that we sacrifice a conference home game for a neutral site. You’d think just once we could call that a road game, but apparently not. I am all in favor of doing away with that scheduling nuance. Maybe we can split the baby and get our P5 OOC game at a neutral site instead?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
You said ACC was a weak conference and went on to say BC and UVa were among the weakest in the nation. Do you think MS State, Missouri, and Vandy are not among the weakest in the nation? As I said, I put them on par with each other. Illinois, NU, Rutgers, UM, Indiana, and Purdue are in the same boat. I'm assuming you're only talking P5 teams.

MS State is about on par with Tech over a 20 span. The last 10 years or so has been a wpt of 0.59, so respectable. Missouri is not a team I follow much, but they were explosive a few years ago. They can (at times) but up quite a fight.

My point is, we have very strong opponents (UGA, Clemson, FSU) and some very weak ones within the conference. You are going to have to play someone respectable enough to make a difference ... you can't just play Rice or Alcorn State every time.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Why does Jacksonville play more games in London than Dallas? Because there is little fan interest in them. There is little fan interest in GT so we give up the home game. This is a no brained for the ACC.
except unlike the NFL we had to agree to this. Not sure why we are doing that. I am also not sure as much about Mercedes Benz. If 70K ti kets are sold and we make a lot of money fine. But last year they had the upper deck close 40K attendance. Notre Dame next year might fill up the stadium but the other Benz games not so much.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
By that logic, Notre Dame must have no fan interest since they've played there more than anyone.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
By that logic, Notre Dame must have no fan interest since they've played there more than anyone.
FYI this years game vs Navy is ND’s first home game in Ireland. They also have 6 other home games this year. Facts matter. Opinions not so much

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
FYI this years game vs Navy is ND’s first home game in Ireland. They also have 6 other home games this year. Facts matter. Opinions not so much
The only opinion spouted was yours that teams end up there because a lack of fan interest.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The only opinion spouted was yours that teams end up there because a lack of fan interest.
LOL. ND 5 games in Ireland, one as a home team. Check. GT gives up home games to play in MBS and Ireland. Check. Look up who has been the home teams for NFL games in Europe. The no one cares teams, yup. Check. But spout your facts, oh right you have none. LOL

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
LOL. ND 5 games in Ireland, one as a home team. Check. GT gives up home games to play in MBS and Ireland. Check. Look up who has been the home teams for NFL games in Europe. The no one cares teams, yup. Check. But spout your facts, oh right you have none. LOL
NFL =/= college football, I know that's tough to understand.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
NFL =/= college football, I know that's tough to understand.
LOL. Why does GT play home games not in BDS. Why did GT play so many Thursday night home games. Why does GT play so many 1200 games. Once you figure that out you will have a clue as into reality of football scheduling. But be butt hurt GT gives up so many BDS home games. LOL

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
LOL. Why does GT play home games not in BDS.
Because it's exciting for fans and players and recruits and the school gets more money for those games. You know other schools do this too right? Big ones, like Alabama and Georgia, FSU and Clemson.

Why did GT play so many Thursday night home games.
Because the ACC contract dictates all ACC teams play week night games, and the ACC likes to screw Georgia Tech on scheduling. You know we aren't required to play in the kickoff game if we didn't want to right?

Why does GT play so many 1200 games. Once you figure that out you will have a clue as into reality of football scheduling. But be butt hurt GT gives up so many BDS home games. LOL
Tech played a grand total of 3 noon games last season, all away games, at FSU, VT, and UGA, 3 of the biggest fanbases we play on a regular basis. We played far more noon games under CPJ when we had much higher attendance, better performance, and a bigger following.

I'll pray for your recovery.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Because it's exciting for fans and players and recruits and the school gets more money for those games. You know other schools do this too right? Big ones, like Alabama and Georgia, FSU and Clemson.

Because the ACC contract dictates all ACC teams play week night games, and the ACC likes to screw Georgia Tech on scheduling. You know we aren't required to play in the kickoff game if we didn't want to right?

Tech played a grand total of 3 noon games last season, all away games, at FSU, VT, and UGA, 3 of the biggest fanbases we play on a regular basis. We played far more noon games under CPJ when we had much higher attendance, better performance, and a bigger following.

I'll pray for your recovery.
You are lost in the pods. Bama, UGA, Clemson and FSU don’t give up home games to play in NFL Stadiums, GT does.

Note none of the Big stadium schools played home Thursday night games. GT played near 20. If you can’t understand the reasons lord help you.

Last year is a small sample size. Heck even Dogs know that.

Stay butt hurt thinking GT gets screwed with scheduling. GT football earned getting screwed mostly due to lousy fan support.

Enough on this topic. Just win at least 6 games this year. Enjoy MBS as it should be very comfortable seating compared to BDS.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
You are lost in the pods. Bama, UGA, Clemson and FSU don’t give up home games to play in NFL Stadiums, GT does.
Virginia Tech 2009, UNC 2010, UGA 2011, NC State 2012, VT again 2013, WV 2014, Louisville 2015, UGA again in 2016, UNC again in 2016, 2017 FSU, 2018 Washington, UGA again in 2022, and Oregon in 2022 all played 6 home games after their neutral site kickoff games, same as Tech will play next year.
Note none of the Big stadium schools played home Thursday night games. GT played near 20. If you can’t understand the reasons lord help you.
Friday and Monday aren't any different. Clemson has played multiple home Thursday games against Tech. FSU played a Monday "home" exhibition game and a Friday home game in the same season - GASP!

It looks like Tech averages a little less than 1 Thursday night home game a season since 2008. The horror! Much better to play on ESPN 3 on a Saturday than on primetime on a Thursday.

Last year is a small sample size. Heck even Dogs know that.
lol ok chief.
Stay butt hurt thinking GT gets screwed with scheduling. GT football earned getting screwed mostly due to lousy fan support.
Tell me you don't understand the dynamics of the ACC without telling me you don't understand the dynamics of the ACC. Half the conference has equal or worse fan support than GT, yet we are the ones that got screwed far more than anyone else.

Enough on this topic. Just win at least 6 games this year. Enjoy MBS as it should be very comfortable seating compared to BDS.
Agreed, I'll enjoy it.

slugboy

Staff member
We got shafted by the ACC when permanent rivals were set in Coastal and Atlantic. Clemson and GT were also a better matchup then than now.

We also got Clemson in our POD, but we were going to get someone tough. The PODs should get restructured if we add in Cal, Stanford, and SMU.

For balanced opponents, and three permanent opponents, I’d expect the conference to be put into four tiers, and one of each tier would go into a POD. If you’re a weaker team, you’d have three permanent rivals better than you.

We got Clemson, Louisville, and Wake—which looks like two B tier teams and the best A tier team. Either Louisville or Wake could be C tier last year—one was 4-4 and the other was 3-5.

Clemson got FSU, GT, and NCST—an A tier, a C tier, and currently a D tier. The worst conference record in that group is 4-4.

There’s some “permanent rival” alignment, and Clemson looks to be our permanent rival. Miami is FSU’s

Some teams came out better, but we weren’t getting UVA, BC, and VT as our POD.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Virginia Tech 2009, UNC 2010, UGA 2011, NC State 2012, VT again 2013, WV 2014, Louisville 2015, UGA again in 2016, UNC again in 2016, 2017 FSU, 2018 Washington, UGA again in 2022, and Oregon in 2022 all played 6 home games after their neutral site kickoff games, same as Tech will play next year.

Friday and Monday aren't any different. Clemson has played multiple home Thursday games against Tech. FSU played a Monday "home" exhibition game and a Friday home game in the same season - GASP!

It looks like Tech averages a little less than 1 Thursday night home game a season since 2008. The horror! Much better to play on ESPN 3 on a Saturday than on primetime on a Thursday.

lol ok chief.

Tell me you don't understand the dynamics of the ACC without telling me you don't understand the dynamics of the ACC. Half the conference has equal or worse fan support than GT, yet we are the ones that got screwed far more than anyone else.

Agreed, I'll enjoy it.
Clemson Thursday night games -

lol ok chief.

Agreed, I'll enjoy it.
FYI - The bottom tier for home attendance for ACC teams over the past 5 years is no surprise Duke, Wake, Cuse and BC. GT is in the tier just above that with Pitt and UVA.

Do you really think the ACC deliberately tries to screw with GT? (sincere question). I think much of what can be perceived with screwing with GT is self imposed by GT.

The ACC and our TV partner ESPN, understand their brands. In football it's Clemson and FSU at the top and the ACC/ESPN will try and highlight them with the better TV slots. In BB it's UNC and Duke thus the prime TV times.

Only winning consistently over a several year period will influence any of this.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
FYI - The bottom tier for home attendance for ACC teams over the past 5 years is no surprise Duke, Wake, Cuse and BC. GT is in the tier just above that with Pitt and UVA.
Certainly our attendance has been it's lowest the last few years due to record setting poor coaching and results, but if you look at a 10 or 20 year measure, Tech attendance is much better. If Key can win at even a halfway decent rate it will go back up.

Do you really think the ACC deliberately tries to screw with GT? (sincere question). I think much of what can be perceived with screwing with GT is self imposed by GT.
I mean I don't think the ACC head office is sitting there going "how can we screw Georgia Tech today", that's not their endgame, but in situations where someone is going to get dealt a bad hand they have absolutely no problem giving that hand to Tech. During CPJ's tenure, someone looked at how many times each ACC team played another conference team who got a bye week before, and Tech and FSU overhwelmingly got the shaft on that, the rest of the teams weren't even close. I can't quite recall the specifics, but Tech was playing like 2-3 opponents with a bye week advantage every year, while UNC played maybe 1 every two years. They finally made a rule in 2017 or 2018 to limit it to max 1 a season. Consider we also got the crap end of the stick on our pod, getting stuck with Louisville and Wake which we almost never played prior.