Toughest ACC non-conference schedule: GT of course

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
The more I look at the schedule, and the more the pre-season optimism/hype grows in me, the better I like our chances at Ole Miss.

We'll be getting them right after they play Tulane and right before they play Bama and LSU back to back. Decent chances of them looking over us entirely based off how badly they beat us last year and how tough Tulane was last year. I'm sure whenever these games were scheduled they figured Tulane would be the easier opponent between us and them but due to TFG those roles have switched. Maybe we get a shot at an upset there. Texas Tech beat them in their bowl game and TT doesn't have a significant talent advantage over us, just need some good coaching and a game plan. Granted, a Kiffin coached team isn't known for showing up for bowl games

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
The more I look at the schedule, and the more the pre-season optimism/hype grows in me, the better I like our chances at Ole Miss.

We'll be getting them right after they play Tulane and right before they play Bama and LSU back to back. Decent chances of them looking over us entirely based off how badly they beat us last year and how tough Tulane was last year. I'm sure whenever these games were scheduled they figured Tulane would be the easier opponent between us and them but due to TFG those roles have switched. Maybe we get a shot at an upset there. Texas Tech beat them in their bowl game and TT doesn't have a significant talent advantage over us, just need some good coaching and a game plan. Granted, a Kiffin coached team isn't known for showing up for bowl games
A very meh Miss State beat them last year too

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
No argument that Ugag and Alabama have done better jobs managing their programs overall, but what was good for Ugag and Alabama in the '60s isn't necessarily good for Tech now.

We need rivalries. Clemson is our biggest rival outside of Ugag, and is currently one of the very few games that fill the stadium (or very near to it) and we need that. It stokes fan interest and we need that. We only started talking about dropping Clemson after we started a losing streak against them. Start being competitive again, and the talk will pipe down. We don't need to water down the schedule. We just need to start being competitive again. It starts this year.
I’ll come clean. I don’t want to give up Clemson either.

I’m just pointing out that whenever GA has a chance to get rid of an historic rivalry, and it works for them, they trim the series. We need to be absolutely as ruthless but in other ways.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I’m not following you. Tech had Black players in the 70s but that seems irrelevant to the discussion.
It’s as relevant as saying UGA dropped Bama because they wanted to play Vanderbilt. SEC Divisions started in 1991. College football has been in constant change for a very long time. Also Conferences schedule Conference games.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It’s as relevant as saying UGA dropped Bama because they wanted to play Vanderbilt. SEC Divisions started in 1991. College football has been in constant change for a very long time. Also Conferences schedule Conference games.
What is relevant is that Alabama and Uga both saw it in their best interests to cool the series. That decision was made long before division play started. This is a fact.

Likewise, the decision was made to start backing off the Auburn series, one of Georgia’s oldest rivals, regardless of division play.

Now, this part I may be mistaken about but I thought Tech requested from the conference that we maintain our rivalry with Clemson once division play started. If so, that is very different from Georgia deciding they did not need to play Auburn every year, especially in the last 3 games of the year.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
What is relevant is that Alabama and Uga both saw it in their best interests to cool the series. That decision was made long before division play started. This is a fact.

Likewise, the decision was made to start backing off the Auburn series, one of Georgia’s oldest rivals, regardless of division play.

Now, this part I may be mistaken about but I thought Tech requested from the conference that we maintain our rivalry with Clemson once division play started. If so, that is very different from Georgia deciding they did not need to play Auburn every year, especially in the last 3 games of the year.
Auburn is Georgia's cross division rival. They play every year! Not sure what point you are trying to make? As I said Bama - UGA series ended 50+ years ago. Why is that relevant in 2023? What frankly is your point on that? Conferences determine cross division rivals or pod opponents and set the conference schedules. Neither Alabama no Georgia have any control over playing each other for 30+ years. Vanderbilt does play Georgia ever year whether they want to or not! So again. exactly what is your point?

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I think some things are timeless and “too hard a schedule can hurt you” is one of them. We could look at TAMU for a more recent example, for all the public bluster between them and UT about canceling that game, they probably internally had no complaints about not keeping a permanent hard OOC rivalry when joining the SEC.

I’m not saying get rid of Clemson, but I’m saying we don’t need to be scheduling Alabama on top of UGA and Clemson any time soon. Sure, if we start winning 50% of those games for 5+ years, let’s do it, but until then?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Auburn is Georgia's cross division rival. They play every year! Not sure what point you are trying to make? As I said Bama - UGA series ended 50+ years ago. Why is that relevant in 2023? What frankly is your point on that? Conferences determine cross division rivals or pod opponents and set the conference schedules. Neither Alabama no Georgia have any control over playing each other for 30+ years. Vanderbilt does play Georgia ever year whether they want to or not! So again. exactly what is your point?
I think he’s trying to say that uga is the devil and everything they do is evil and sucks big hairy dog balls

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I thought my point was clear. uga, Alabama, and the SEC see it in everyone’s interest to not play each other during the season. That gives a better chance of either or both teams making the playoff.

Auburn reference was a brain fart.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I disagree. Auburn-UGA, Bama-Tenn and Fla-LSU are all excellent cross division rivalries. Frankly they are the traditional top 6 teams in the Conference. What more do you want than these games and who would be a better cross division rival for any of them?