Todd Gurley SUSPENDED

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
PSU is a great example of the punishment not being related to the crime. That was entirely non-football performance related; to be handled criminally by the courts for the football and college administrative personnel responsible. Not by the NCAA who prosecutes inconsistently and arbitrarily.

Given how the NCAA makes it up as they go, I have no idea how this will play out.

I was at home having a drink with my wife and got texts when I heard. Funniest thing is that an hour before, I told my brother how much I liked Spurrier for his comment about wanting to play UGAg late in the year after some of their key players were suspended or in jail. The call back to him was fun too since he hadn't heard!

Animal02

Banned
PSU is a great example of the punishment not being related to the crime. That was entirely non-football performance related; to be handled criminally by the courts for the football and college administrative personnel responsible. Not by the NCAA who prosecutes inconsistently and arbitrarily.

Given how the NCAA makes it up as they go, I have no idea how this will play out.

I was at home having a drink with my wife and got texts when I heard. Funniest thing is that an hour before, I told my brother how much I liked Spurrier for his comment about wanting to play UGAg late in the year after some of their key players were suspended or in jail. The call back to him was fun too since he hadn't heard!

The PSU thing wasn't even related to the football team......except that it was a former coach being allowed to use campus facilities by a compliant administration

GT Chillin' It

Jolly Good Fellow
Simply put, the suspension will be short if there is no money trail. if there is a money trial linking him to the autographs, his college days could be done, IMO. People want to compare this to the Manziel situation, but I think this is different. 1. Manziel came from an extremely rich family so tracing his money was tough. 2. Since Manziel came from a rich family, they were able to hire one of the top layers who has had previous dealing with the NCAA to reach an agreement 3. all this was sorted out prior to the A&M season starting. Definitely interesting to see how this turns out.

The reason they couldn't go after Manziel was because the NCAA has no subpoena power. If you can't get to the bank accounts there is no proof. All Gurley has to do is say no when they ask for the account records. The NCAA is not a court of law and can't come in and take this information. The only way Gurley is done is if he's admitted to it. As long as he's denying and won't surrender any paperwork he'll be minimally punished like Manziel was. The duration of the suspension at this point really hinges on how long it takes the NCAA to investigate.
The other side of this is if he's admitted to the coaches his wrong doings. St. Richt is in a tough spot I'm sure. We all know he's talked to Gurley and gotten the truth.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
So if Gurley admits to Rev Richt that he did it, what will the Rev do? Cover it up and tell Gurley to lie? or throw him under the ncaa bus?

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Rev Richt's interactions with his players are like priest confessions: all is forgiven, no one needs to know, and as long as the money comes in to everyone, who cares.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The guy on SB Nation is getting an incredible amount of venom, but this is incredible.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
These are the same people who would deport a 15 year old to Mexico because her parents brought he here illegally when she was less than a year old. Situational ethics and enforcement is OK when it's to their advantage. Gurley knew what he was doing could cause him to be suspended.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
http://espn.go.com/college-football...id-georgia-bulldogs-rb-todd-gurley-autographs

Ed Garland, who has represented former Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis, former NHL all-star Dany Heatley and rapper T.I. in high-profile criminal cases, told ESPN.com on Friday that he has been retained by Bryan Allen, a sports memorabilia dealer, whose relationship with Gurley is being investigated by UGA officials.

I hope Bryan finds somewhere safe to stay the next few months. Apparently 680 is putting his name out there (including spelling it out) as if to say, "go get 'em".

poodleface

Jolly Good Fellow
I could have told this guy that the media has no interest in protecting your identity (I was assured anonymity once for a story and had my name put in print). It was only a matter of time before his name got out. He should probably get out of the state of Georgia post-haste...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I could have told this guy that the media has no interest in protecting your identity (I was assured anonymity once for a story and had my name put in print). It was only a matter of time before his name got out. He should probably get out of the state of Georgia post-haste...

Aw, you gonna leave us hangin'? Agree this dude needs to go into hiding.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
From the ESPN article:

"He has been paid thousands of dollars for his stuff over the last 18 months," Allen wrote in the email. "I personally paid him for the signing on the video. I have bought and sold game used equipment from him."

Wonder if anything will be applied retroactively for last year as he was committing violations then.