Todd Gurley SUSPENDED

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The rule is dumb. I cant sign an autograph for people who want it and make money off myself, but the NCAA and school can? I know you guys all hate UGA but lets be reasonable. BTW im not one of these people that thinks players should be paid either. You wanna pay them? Fine, make them take out loans and pay for school. You can have one or the other. I went to college, worked during college, still paying for it. Grow up. And don't feed me the crap about not being able to buy a pizza. Flip over the couch cushions and call D-Mos. Its only 5.99.

That being said, its a well known rule, that was addressed in an incident very recently and this kid chose to go ahead anyways. Selfish. Just because
its a stupid rule doesn't mean you can just break it with impunity.

There's no way to allow selling autographs etc without allowing school boosters to pay kids for attending.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
If we still have the '09 ACC trophy in a closet, it needs to be put back on display today.

$3k over 2 years and only 4 games? What a bunch of sh@*!

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
whats this $3k over 4 years stuff

ESPN said:
Georgia running back Todd Gurley must sit out two more games for accepting more than $3,000 in cash from multiple individuals for autographed memorabilia, the NCAA ruled Wednesday.

. . .

According to the NCAA, Gurley received the cash for signing memorabilia and other items over two years and must repay a portion of the money he received to a charity of his choice and also complete 40 hours of community service as conditions of his reinstatement.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
I wonder how dez Bryant feels about this. Any word on if he will have to repay the money taken, similar to miami players?

With that said, calling the NCAA bull**** would do a disservice to bulls excrement. And I don't want to stoop to that level.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
I want to know what the specific "potion of the money he received" that he has to pay back is going to be.

Assuming that the "portion" is significant (cough, choke, laugh, snort - I kill my self sometimes), then I want to know where a poor college student, who had to stoop to breaking NCAA rules to obtain enough money to get by, will all-of-a-sudden get the cash to pay that "portion" back.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The only deserving person in this is Chubb. He's headed for the bench averaging 150 yards per game. I wonder if uga has thought this through.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
http://www.sfgate.com/sports/colleg...-Gurley-suspended-4-games-by-NCAA-5855300.php

anyone else see this quote?

The NCAA said tougher penalties against Gurley were "strongly considered because the violations occurred over multiple years with multiple individuals and the student received extensive rules education about the prohibition of receiving payment for autographs. However, the university's due diligence in its investigation and the student's full disclosure of his involvement in the violations were factors in not imposing a more severe withholding condition."

which is to say.. SEC cheats.. we had titles removed for less than this. (ok I know that is hyperbole but c'mon man) looks like he will be back before the end of the season.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It's simple, if you get caught cheating, bow down and kiss the ever living NCAA butt and you'll get off with a slap on the wrist. Try to fight them in the least little bit, get the hammer. Our AD should have suspended DT for the Ugag game, kissed the NCAA hind parts and he most likely would have been reinstated for Clemson.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It's simple, if you get caught cheating, bow down and kiss the ever living NCAA butt and you'll get off with a slap on the wrist. Try to fight them in the least little bit, get the hammer. Our AD should have suspended DT for the Ugag game, kissed the NCAA hind parts and he most likely would have been reinstated for Clemson.
In hindsight that's what should have happened. However, at the time, Tech thought the fact that DT didn't actually do anything illegal was enough reasons to play him. There is actually no "law" requiring a school to bench a player. What Tech did not foresee, and which becomes clear with hindsight, is that the NCAA would have a full investigation which would become a fishing expedition to find something wrong. All they could come up with was that Tech was not fully cooperative. Pretty heavy fine for nothing being done that was improper according to NCAA rules. It was the petulant act of an organization that had its feelings hurt.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
... and I'm sure he's going to make a donation with "his" money as part of the punishment.

Over $3000 in money made... $250 contribution... damn that's not going to to many folks from doing it in the future.

decatur jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If you were Gurley, would you come back at all? I would not. Why would you come back to potentially get your knee blown out against Auburn or Tech? He is not going to win the Heisman. The dogs might be in the SEC championship and have a shot at the Playoff, but he has missed 1/3 of the season. I'd be on the phone with Pat Dye Jr. giving him wiring instructions for my bank account and setting up my personal trainer down in Tampa or wherever all of the draftees train. He is going to be the #1 RB in the draft regardless of what he does. At some point (and it appears that point has already happened), he has to decide between doing what is best for himself (get paid) or be a team player and potentially not play another down of football without the payday.

Tough decision, no doubt, but I'd have to take the money. My guess is that he goes back and plays the season out...

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
It’ll look bad on his character if he doesn’t go back and could affect his draft stock. Signing autographs won’t affect anything.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It’ll look bad on his character if he doesn’t go back and could affect his draft stock. Signing autographs won’t affect anything.

I don't think he's going back. If he doesn't, it'll be hailed as a business decision. All he'll have to do is send tape of Lattimore's leg to NFL GM's and send that analysis of what Lattimore made ($) for SCar while he was there versus what he received (or whatever it was) and they'll understand.

To the fans/media he can just weep and say he let them down and doesn't deserve to come back, blah, blah, blah ... they have a great back in the making and he doesn't want to impede his progress, blah, blah .... By the end of the presser there won't be a dry eye in the house and the NCAA will be the patsy. Basically villain transference (did I just coin a term?). I should do this for a living.