To Hell With the ACC

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Just sitting here so frustrated with the whole thing. The ACC treats Tech as an afterthought despite Atlanta being their largest media market, by far! I had preordered 4 tickets to every bowl I knew I could travel to. Guess which one of the two I KNEW I couldn't attend? Eff the ACC and the tobacco road, insular mentality. Time for Tech to seek a partner that will leverage what Tech brings to the table. SMFH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

True, Atlanta is the largest media market in the ACC’s footprint. The problem is that most Atlantans don’t follow Georgia Tech. Therefore, we don’t bring the ATL market to the table for the conference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
But we did not lose 3 of the last 4 games, nor schedule a game at the last minute just to become bowl eligible.

I agree that it's not perfect

However , I cant help if we dont agree - the coastal IMO was a dumpster fire.

We are on decline for a short while. Our coach quit after last game where our prolific rushing offense ( which racked up huge yards in middle of year against crummy teams) WAS THROTTLED.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
So let me get this right. You guys think the ACC assigns bowl games? The bowls get to choose. The sad fact is nobody wanted us.

While we’rs at it I think it’s cute that you’re arguing about whether we should go to the Big 10, Big 12 or SEC. Any evidence that any of them want us?

We need to handle our stuff before we start blaming the ACC or anyone else for what we don’t like. A new coach and financial support at an appropriate level
would be a start.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I hope the players and staff aren't publicly as arrogant, disrespectful, and to some extent hypocritical as some of the fans. I'm getting flashback vibes of the 2012 GT vs USC Sun Bowl...

Think this is bad? Read some of the stuff on Tennessee's boards. Yikes.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I hope the players and staff aren't publicly as arrogant, disrespectful, and to some extent hypocritical as some of the fans. I'm getting flashback vibes of the 2012 GT vs USC Sun Bowl...
I was thinking the same thing. I hope the coaches point out to our players that USCw ended up looking pretty lousy in the media, with the attitude they brought to west Texas.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
The sad fact is there are WAY WAY WAY too many bowls. 6-6 or .500 teams should NOT be playing in bowls. Add on that the past and current set up of the BCS that morphed into the play-off and NY6, everything else is just sloppy seconds, thirds and fourths. I understand it's a money grab, but it's just not fun anymore.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I had this same feeling; I hate that the boys will be spending xmas away from friends and family but I am hopeful that we will show the class and grace that USCw lacked.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I would rather join the SEC than the Big 12 and Big 10. We already have rivalries with UGA, Tennessee, Auburn, and Bama. Having an SEC schedule would improve attendance and would improve recruiting. Plus, we were a charter member. Bobby Dodd made a huge mistake in 1964 that has haunted us ever since. Maybe one day we'll have the chance to go back where we belong.

Not sure they would invite us back...

Deleted member 2897

Not sure where to put this thought, but this seems as good a thread as any. It just hit me - UNC suffers no consequence for running decades of fake classes. So upon their next football coaching change since the investigation, they re-hire Mack Brown again. Sounds about right. If Dean Smith were alive I’m sure they’d go after him again too.

Last edited by a moderator:

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Folks, it is us. We fans. There are not enough of we GT fans attending home games and also traveling to bowl games to positively influence the profit-minded bowl officials to automatically look favorably on us as a “rabid fan base.”

Taken as a whole, our GT fan base is too picky, too demanding, and too disinterested to vervently support our football team through religious attendance. There are a few like me and many of you who post on this board who are that way, but there are too many of our fans who are NOT that way ... at least to the degree needed.

In short, our “Georgia Tech Nation” is too small and too weak, and therefore is its own worst enemy.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
The sad fact is there are WAY WAY WAY too many bowls. 6-6 or .500 teams should NOT be playing in bowls. Add on that the past and current set up of the BCS that morphed into the play-off and NY6, everything else is just sloppy seconds, thirds and fourths. I understand it's a money grab, but it's just not fun anymore.
While I understand the playoff is supposed to put the 4 best teams in play, the fact that it doesn't run through conference championships pisses me off.

If every conference champ (P5) was represented, I believe that we would see a diaspora of talent away from Alabama, UGA, and Clemson to a wider variety of schools as coaches can sell winning their conference and then come what may in the playoffs.

If you have only 6 teams you can select an at-large. If you expand to 8, then I think you have to include the best G5 conference champion in the bracket.