To Hell With the ACC

Deleted member 2897

This has nothing to do with Quick Lane or Minnesota. I think if you want to show class, but still make your point, you treat those 2 entities with nothing but respect and focus your ire on the ACC and put pressure on Todd Stansbury and Georgia Tech to take it up with the ACC.

Tampa, Jacksonville, Charlotte, Annapolis, Nashville, even New York City - tons of great places to play, many much much closer to home that all went to teams we beat and finished ahead of. Now our guys have to spend freaking Christmas night in a hotel in Detroit. If winning and placement doesn't matter, why do we even keep score anymore?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Is this true? Aren’t we obligated to play?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe they invite, and we accept. I don't know if we are contractually obligate. That's an interesting question. Considering how many millions the ACC gets for bowl games, I doubt there isn't something in the clause saying we'd need to go, but I don't know.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
This has nothing to do with Quick Lane or Minnesota. I think if you want to show class, but still make your point, you treat those 2 entities with nothing but respect and focus your ire on the ACC and put pressure on Todd Stansbury and Georgia Tech to take it up with the ACC.

Tampa, Jacksonville, Charlotte, Annapolis, Nashville, even New York City - tons of great places to play, many much much closer to home that all went to teams we beat and finished ahead of. Now our guys have to spend freaking Christmas night in a hotel in Detroit. If winning and placement doesn't matter, why do we even keep score anymore?
It certainly isn't Quick Lane Bowl's fault that the other bowls didn't pick us. It certainly sucks, but they certainly don't deserve criticism.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Is this true? Aren’t we obligated to play?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe we live in a free country. Last I checked, the NCAA made a big deal out of the fact that football players aren't workers and are "students". Therefore, maybe the coaches have to show up but not the students.

If they vote no, they face some set of consequences. I guess the question is what the consequences are.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
I believe they invite, and we accept. I don't know if we are contractually obligate. That's an interesting question. Considering how many millions the ACC gets for bowl games, I doubt there isn't something in the clause saying we'd need to go, but I don't know.
IIRC Notre Dame declined a bowl a few years back citing they would lose money if they attended.

However, the ACC May have rules against declining an invitation.

Edit: apparently ND has done this multiple times

http://www.espn.com/college-football/news/story?id=4713316

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1996-12-03-9612030154-story.html

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
IIRC Notre Dame declined a bowl a few years back citing they would lose money if they attended.

However, the ACC May have rules against declining an invitation.
Exactly. ND can make decisions like that because they are not in a conference. Unless someone here knows our contract with the ACC, I am not sure if anyone knows whether we are contractually obligated to the ACC to accept or not.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
We would be so much more appreciated in the B12 than the b10 it is laughable.

Screw this academic nonsense that is as phoney as a $3 Bill. The b10 has too many elitist, kiss my fanny snobs now. Just like ACC.

THIS IS ABOUT FOOTBALL! Is nobody paying attention?

And for the QLB - SCRAP THE PATCH!

Find an administration that will stand up for, and by, GT.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we are financially responsible for the seats, I don’t think we have to be in the stadium.

The big question I have when these bowl affiliations were contracted out is where in the hell did the idea come from that the individual schools were financially obligated to purchase their ticket blocks and why would any team agree to that ?

If the ACC wants to contract with any bowl why aren’t they responsible for ticket sales ?

The note on the email I got specifically states Tech is responsible for any unpurchased tickets and that responsibility will be paid out of the GTAA budget —- why ?

Deleted member 2897

I think we are financially responsible for the seats, I don’t think we have to be in the stadium.

The big question I have when these bowl affiliations were contracted out is where in the hell did the idea come from that the individual schools were financially obligated to purchase their ticket blocks and why would any team agree to that ?

If the ACC wants to contract with any bowl why aren’t they responsible for ticket sales ?

The note on the email I got specifically states Tech is responsible for any unpurchased tickets and that responsibility will be paid out of the GTAA budget —- why ?

You don’t think Swofford is okay with us going across the country on a bad day and getting stuck with inbought tickets?

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
You don’t think Swofford is okay with us going across the country on a bad day and getting stuck with inbought tickets?

Honestly I don’t think Swaffords gives a **** one way or another about TECH. I think they look at the bowl games as an overall budgetary win, especially since the individual schools are apparently financially responsible for the bills while the ACC itself collects a percentage of the payouts.

Essentially as far as the ACC looks at it the more bowls there are the bigger the union, I mean affiliations dues collected.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
The ACC can seriously go F*** themselves.

Attachments

• 63075217-A174-4895-8F18-AD74BE448229.gif
    63075217-A174-4895-8F18-AD74BE448229.gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 29

georgiatech22

Georgia Tech Fan
Time to look hard at the BIG12

I would rather join the SEC than the Big 12 and Big 10. We already have rivalries with UGA, Tennessee, Auburn, and Bama. Having an SEC schedule would improve attendance and would improve recruiting. Plus, we were a charter member. Bobby Dodd made a huge mistake in 1964 that has haunted us ever since. Maybe one day we'll have the chance to go back where we belong.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I would rather join the SEC than the Big 12 and Big 10. We already have rivalries with UGA, Tennessee, Auburn, and Bama. Having an SEC schedule would improve attendance and would improve recruiting. Plus, we were a charter member. Bobby Dodd made a huge mistake in 1964 that has haunted us ever since. Maybe one day we'll have the chance to go back where we belong.

I agree, we are southeast football, we belong in the conference with the big boys of the SE, if we want to be a big boy ourselves. However unless we commit to it we need to be ready to be Vandy. Either way no respect is no respect

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Of course, but our arrogance under Dodd, and the fact we left has killed this possibility.

We would have to play the Miss. schools there for 5 to 10 years in a row due to Dodd ducking them (as Vaughn suggested) and probably kick in $500 million.