Time to break in a new uniform thread - 2022 edition

DaDodd

Jolly Good Fellow

All stop after this but I think Tech just needs a set uniform schedule and stick with it like Clemson does.

GWG for home and away games. (Traditional look) (8 or 9 games)
GGW for homecoming and UGA at home or if away team chooses to wear white (2000s era) (1 or 2 games)
GBW for special home game or bowl game (1990 NC) (1 game)
WWW for whiteout home game (new tradition since 2008) (1 game)

This makes everyone happy. Clemson does a very similar thing. They wear OOW for home games. OWW for away games. PPP for one military day game against FCS opponents. They only wear OOO or OWO for post season games. I know people may get on to me for posting Clemson stuff but I keep hearing people say they just want to win. Well I Dabo said it best in this article.

“My players were more distracted and worried about what we were wearing every week as opposed to learning the plan and getting the details down,” Swinney said.

This is why I think we need a standard uniform schedule. Players need to be focused on the game not on what they are wearing. And you can get mad at me for posting about Dabo and Clemson, you cannot deny the fact that he's a hell of a coach who's won 2 national titles and has kicked our rear the past 7 years.

DaDodd

Jolly Good Fellow
In 1980 the NCAA made a rule that all home teams must wear a dark pigment jersey.
Sorry the rule changed in 1983 not 1980.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I didn't change anything, he was right about that minor thing and I can acknowledge that, but if you want to focus on that to invalidate my opinion (which I also acknowledge is also just an opinion), then have at it.

There are a great deal many things that we as fans can't do anything about, lots of things beyond uniforms and branding and merchandising... what good would a message board be if we didn't spout all kinds of opinions about things that are completely outside of our control?

Go Jackets
I completely agree with this comment.

My next comment in not focused at you because I have no idea if it's deserved or not, but, it's when fonts drone on ad nauseum about the same point in thread after thread that it becomes tiresome.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

All stop after this but I think Tech just needs a set uniform schedule and stick with it like Clemson does.

GGW for homecoming and UGA at home or if away team chooses to wear white (2000s era) (1 or 2 games)

This makes everyone happy. Clemson does a very similar thing. They wear OOW for home games. OWW for away games. PPP for one military day game against FCS opponents. They only wear OOO or OWO for post season games. I know people may get on to me for posting Clemson stuff but I keep hearing people say they just want to win. Well I Dabo said it best in this article.

“My players were more distracted and worried about what we were wearing every week as opposed to learning the plan and getting the details down,” Swinney said.

This is why I think we need a standard uniform schedule. Players need to be focused on the game not on what they are wearing. And you can get mad at me for posting about Dabo and Clemson, you cannot deny the fact that he's a hell of a coach who's won 2 national titles and has kicked our rear the past 7 years.
This is a stupid comment by him. Kids aren't focused in film study because they are day dreaming about a uni combo? You sure it's not their NIL deals and more cash and more women Dabo? Basically he's throwing his players under the bus.

DaDodd

Jolly Good Fellow
This is a stupid comment by him. Kids aren't focused in film study because they are day dreaming about a uni combo? You sure it's not their NIL deals and more cash and more women Dabo? Basically he's throwing his players under the bus.
All I'll say is since he implemented this rule they have won 2 national championships. That article is from before NIL was a thing. NIL is another beast. He's just trying to eliminate as much distractions as possible. Teams that keep things simple win. They seem more focused and are more disciplined. (Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, Ohio State, Clemson, Penn State, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Texas A&M) Teams that get cute too much don't win as much and seem distracted and less disciplined. (Use, Most of the G5 teams, Kansas, Maryland) Yes there exceptions to this but just look at the elite teams in college football. They don't do gimmicky weekly uniform reveals. Why do you think that is? Kids today are just more entitled and care how they look. I honestly could see them daydreaming about what uniform combo they will be wearing. If the school keeps making it a big deal and reveal then it can be distracting. He's not throwing them under the bus. If anything he's trying to coach them into being the best football players they can be. To do that he has to eliminate distractions.

Now you see schools going back to more traditional look to try and establish their brand like the elite teams do. It is hard to have a brand if it changes every two years.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
For those who don't say we have have a traditional uniform history, please see the photos below. And yes I am a uniform nerd. These pictures are only of the traditional template with some slight variations. I did not include the Russell templates from 2008 to 2015. Those were decent football performance years but dark uniform years. Remember the bubble wrap? The only tradition kept from 2008 from 2015 was wearing white at home. I am also not including the Adidas years 2018-present besides the blackwatch unis from 2020. Tech has traditionally always worn white at home. I will not be talking about shades of gold in this post. While important, that's a different discussion. I'm mainly focusing on the overall template. Here's a Tech uniform history lesson (minus 2008-2015).

THIS IS TECH'S TRADITIONAL LOOK! GWG There only a few slit differences over the years. One is the sleeve stripe pattern changed from bwgwb to bwg in the 1970. This bwg stripe pattern remained same until 2007 and brought back in 2016-2017. Tech also wore white helmets in from 1965-1966 and 1968-1971. Tech wore gold helmets wit ha bwb stipe pattern from 1967-1968 and 1972-1973. The stripe pattern on the gold pants was bwb from its inception to around 1992 and again in 2016-2017. The pattern then changed to bwgwb in 1992 until 2007. Gold numbers were only around from 1998-2002. Russell played with the number fronts for the 1999 gator bowl and had different fonts for the 2000-2001 and 2002 seasons. Tech then added "YELLOW JACKETS" across the chest in 2004-2007. While this may sound like a lot of differences it's really not. The overall look of the uniform is the same.
View attachment 12853View attachment 12854

Tech as worn white tops and bottoms on occasions. Some in the 1950s, from 1992-1994, and 2016-2017. Again I am not including the Russell uniforms from 2008-2015.
View attachment 12856

Tech has worn gold uniforms early on but were only worn on rare occasions until the mid 1960s. Tech wore gold jerseys with white numbers and blue numbers from around 1965-1971. These were worn with white pants with the bgb stipe pattern and mostly with the white helmet but the gold helmet was also used. The most of these gold jerseys has a bwb sleeve cuff stripe pattern but some others didn't. After the NCAA home uniform rule was changed in 1994 Tech brought back the gold uniform and was used as the home jersey for the 1994 season. In 1995 they went back to wearing white at home. Gold jerseys were only worn for bowl games or the the away team chose to wear white from 1997 to 2002 with white remaining the primary home jersey. From 2003 to 2007 Tech wore gold jerseys at home. "YELLOW JACKETS" was added to the chest in 2004. The gold jerseys has a bgw sleeve stripe pattern with the sleeve cuff being blue and a single white stripe above it.
View attachment 12855

In 1980 the NCAA made a rule that all home teams must wear a dark pigment jersey. This eliminated wearing white OR GOLD jerseys for home games. That is why Tech started wearing black and navy. Because they had to. If not for this rule we probably would have never seen Tech wear black or navy jerseys consistently. Tech wore black jerseys has a gbw sleeve stipe pattern and were worn with the gold pants and gold helmets. Obviously special defensive players had a black "GT"s and a single think black stripe on their helmet as a part of the Blackwatch defence.
View attachment 12857

Tech has worn navy blue jerseys going way back but when Dodd came in Tech mostly wore white. There were a few games under Dodd were Tech wore navy blue jerseys in the same template as their white uniforms with gold pants. Trying to go back to traditional secondary colors, Tech changed their black jerseys to navy blue around 1988/1989. These jerseys also has the gbw sleeve stripe pattern. Tech wore the blue jerseys with white pants and gold helmets and are best known for the 1990 National Championship year. From 1992 to 1993 Tech wore gold pants with the blue jerseys. After the NCAA rule change in 1994 Tech no longer had to wear dark pigmented home jerseys and so they Tech stopped wearing them. They were brought back for the 2006 ACC championship and the the 1990 anniversary game (although the pants had the wrong stripe pattern and the jerseys didn't have shoulder numbers. Typical Russell).
View attachment 12858

Tech had a constant template and overall uniform for decades until Russell got cute and ruined it. Tech had to wear black and navy due to rules outside of their control. If Tech never won a natty in the blues we may have never seen them again. I am glad we on that natty and I think we should where the GBW at least one game a year or bowl games. But that's it. GGW should be worn for one or two games a year. (Homecoming, UGA at home, or when an away team chooses to wear white) But that's it. All other games home and way should be GWG. Because that has been our traditionally identity. Keep it simple.
Woooow so it is now PROVEN that either a white or gold jersey is our real uniform!!! Sir I applaud you for this!! Supersize that order says thank you as well! May I use this when having to debate anyone about uniforms?

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
For those who don't say we have have a traditional uniform history, please see the photos below. And yes I am a uniform nerd. These pictures are only of the traditional template with some slight variations. I did not include the Russell templates from 2008 to 2015. Those were decent football performance years but dark uniform years. Remember the bubble wrap? The only tradition kept from 2008 from 2015 was wearing white at home. I am also not including the Adidas years 2018-present besides the blackwatch unis from 2020. Tech has traditionally always worn white at home. I will not be talking about shades of gold in this post. While important, that's a different discussion. I'm mainly focusing on the overall template. Here's a Tech uniform history lesson (minus 2008-2015).

THIS IS TECH'S TRADITIONAL LOOK! GWG There only a few slit differences over the years. One is the sleeve stripe pattern changed from bwgwb to bwg in the 1970. This bwg stripe pattern remained same until 2007 and brought back in 2016-2017. Tech also wore white helmets in from 1965-1966 and 1968-1971. Tech wore gold helmets wit ha bwb stipe pattern from 1967-1968 and 1972-1973. The stripe pattern on the gold pants was bwb from its inception to around 1992 and again in 2016-2017. The pattern then changed to bwgwb in 1992 until 2007. Gold numbers were only around from 1998-2002. Russell played with the number fronts for the 1999 gator bowl and had different fonts for the 2000-2001 and 2002 seasons. Tech then added "YELLOW JACKETS" across the chest in 2004-2007. While this may sound like a lot of differences it's really not. The overall look of the uniform is the same.

Tech as worn white tops and bottoms on occasions. Some in the 1950s, from 1992-1994, and 2016-2017. Again I am not including the Russell uniforms from 2008-2015.
View attachment 12856

Tech has worn gold uniforms early on but were only worn on rare occasions until the mid 1960s. Tech wore gold jerseys with white numbers and blue numbers from around 1965-1971. These were worn with white pants with the bgb stipe pattern and mostly with the white helmet but the gold helmet was also used. The most of these gold jerseys has a bwb sleeve cuff stripe pattern but some others didn't. After the NCAA home uniform rule was changed in 1994 Tech brought back the gold uniform and was used as the home jersey for the 1994 season. In 1995 they went back to wearing white at home. Gold jerseys were only worn for bowl games or the the away team chose to wear white from 1997 to 2002 with white remaining the primary home jersey. From 2003 to 2007 Tech wore gold jerseys at home. "YELLOW JACKETS" was added to the chest in 2004. The gold jerseys has a bgw sleeve stripe pattern with the sleeve cuff being blue and a single white stripe above it.
View attachment 12855

In 1980 the NCAA made a rule that all home teams must wear a dark pigment jersey. This eliminated wearing white OR GOLD jerseys for home games. That is why Tech started wearing black and navy. Because they had to. If not for this rule we probably would have never seen Tech wear black or navy jerseys consistently. Tech wore black jerseys has a gbw sleeve stipe pattern and were worn with the gold pants and gold helmets. Obviously special defensive players had a black "GT"s and a single think black stripe on their helmet as a part of the Blackwatch defence.
View attachment 12857

Tech has worn navy blue jerseys going way back but when Dodd came in Tech mostly wore white. There were a few games under Dodd were Tech wore navy blue jerseys in the same template as their white uniforms with gold pants. Trying to go back to traditional secondary colors, Tech changed their black jerseys to navy blue around 1988/1989. These jerseys also has the gbw sleeve stripe pattern. Tech wore the blue jerseys with white pants and gold helmets and are best known for the 1990 National Championship year. From 1992 to 1993 Tech wore gold pants with the blue jerseys. After the NCAA rule change in 1994 Tech no longer had to wear dark pigmented home jerseys and so they Tech stopped wearing them. They were brought back for the 2006 ACC championship and the the 1990 anniversary game (although the pants had the wrong stripe pattern and the jerseys didn't have shoulder numbers. Typical Russell).
View attachment 12858

Tech had a constant template and overall uniform for decades until Russell got cute and ruined it. Tech had to wear black and navy due to rules outside of their control. If Tech never won a natty in the blues we may have never seen them again. I am glad we on that natty and I think we should where the GBW at least one game a year or bowl games. But that's it. GGW should be worn for one or two games a year. (Homecoming, UGA at home, or when an away team chooses to wear white) But that's it. All other games home and way should be GWG. Because that has been our traditionally identity. Keep it simple.
I mean the case is pretty shut after this. Someone needs to show Tstan and GT what our REAL uniform is

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer

View attachment 12856

View attachment 12855

View attachment 12857

View attachment 12858

Definitely the first time I wanted to save a post and realized we have a bookmark function.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Somebody better tell OSU to quit wearing all those dadgum alternate uniforms or they’ll never be any good! And nobody will know who they are when they turn on the game! I mean 1/4 of their games are going to be in alternates this year! Who the hell do they think they are?? Nobody knows what colors they are anymore? Are they Scarlet or black? Do they always wear red pants. What the helllllllllllll :eek:🤯

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Somebody better tell OSU to quit wearing all those dadgum alternate uniforms or they’ll never be any good! And nobody will know who they are when they turn on the game! I mean 1/4 of their games are going to be in alternates this year! Who the hell do they think they are?? Nobody knows what colors they are anymore? Are they Scarlet or black? Do they always wear red pants. What the helllllllllllll :eek:🤯

One sign of aging is hearing the avant garde rock songs of your youth on the elevator music channel. Another may be when teams are wearing throwback uniforms to the year 2002. ?

Buzz_404

Jolly Good Fellow

View attachment 12856

View attachment 12855

View attachment 12857

View attachment 12858

Thanks for doing this. As for what we wear I think we should wear gold at home and for like a Thursday night game wear blue, but NOT BLUE PANTS, away games are ok to mix up a little bit, but home at home games I believe we should be the team in color, tradition or not, GGW at home, with maybe WGG or WGW or even GGG thrown in there somewhere

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer

View attachment 12856

View attachment 12855

View attachment 12857

View attachment 12858

I agree. I think GWG is our combo we should wear 8 games of a season. Then add one whiteout, and maybe one or two games where we wear gold or navy tops.

JacketFan137

Banned

it’s really unfair to our players for you to suggest that they underperform because they were too focused on uniforms. also dabo also has a long running history of saying some absolutely ridiculous things to the media. he’s not even supposed to be coaching anymore cause he said he’d retire when guys started getting paid

DaDodd

Jolly Good Fellow
it’s really unfair to our players for you to suggest that they underperform because they were too focused on uniforms. also dabo also has a long running history of saying some absolutely ridiculous things to the media. he’s not even supposed to be coaching anymore cause he said he’d retire when guys started getting paid
The results speaks for themselves. His coaching record is 150-36. 89-10 since 2015. 2 natties. I think we criticize the guy because he's successful and deep down we're jealous. Yes he has a better financial backing but that doesn't always equal success. Look at Texas, USC, etc. I'm just speaking truth. Do you think our team has looked disciplined and focused the past three years? I'd say no. It's the coaches job to help eliminate distractions (no matter how small they are) and have their guys focused on the game. Not jumping around like a bunch of lunatics when we are losing by 20. There's a difference in organically hyping up your teammates and manufacturing some "juice crew".

All I'm saying is what we have been doing isn't working. To be successful sometimes means you need to look and see what the successful teams are doing and mimic that. All options should be on the table.

JacketFan137

Banned
The results speaks for themselves. His coaching record is 150-36. 89-10 since 2015. 2 natties. I think we criticize the guy because he's successful and deep down we're jealous. Yes he has a better financial backing but that doesn't always equal success. Look at Texas, USC, etc. I'm just speaking truth. Do you think our team has looked disciplined and focused the past three years? I'd say no. It's the coaches job to help eliminate distractions (no matter how small they are) and have their guys focused on the game. Not jumping around like a bunch of lunatics when we are losing by 20. There's a difference in organically hyping up your teammates and manufacturing some "juice crew".

All I'm saying is what we have been doing isn't working. To be successful sometimes means you need to look and see what the successful teams are doing and mimic that. All options should be on the table.
it just really comes across like you’re minimizing the work these kids are putting in and it sounds pretty insulting to suggest that they can’t handle the concept of new uniforms without running amok.

what do you have to say about oregon? they have, for the last decade or so, been a fixture in the top 15 or so of college football. even playing in two national championships plus several Ny6 bowls. they are the most extreme example of uniforms and they seem to be doing ok.

i don’t disagree for a second this team has had some discipline problems (david curry celebration penalty against citadel likely cost us that game), but i think complaining about uniforms is just really misplaced and a little too much old-school-1950s-football-guy rhetoric.