Time to break in a new uniform thread - 2022 edition

DaDodd

Jolly Good Fellow
If I had things my way, this is how I would do it. I think it can please everyone. There are plenty of combinations that pay homage to the past while still making the traditional GWG the predominate look to solidify the brand. This formula for uniform combos can easily apply to all schedules moving forward. Most schools do this and it let the fan know that to expect before the season.

2022 GT UNIFORM SCHEDULE2.jpg

CEB

Helluva Engineer
If I had things my way, this is how I would do it. I think it can please everyone. There are plenty of combinations that pay homage to the past while still making the traditional GWG the predominate look to solidify the brand. This formula for uniform combos can easily apply to all schedules moving forward. Most schools do this and it let the fan know that to expect before the season.

View attachment 12890
Dang, that looks official! I thought OMG, they did it! :ROFLMAO:
Nice work. I’m looking forward to seeing those bowl unis too!

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

View attachment 12890
I'm almost 100% with you, except you left off the CFP Semi game and mislabeled the CFP Championship game as simply a "Bowl Game". Other wise, FANTASTIC! 15-0 BABY!!!

DaDodd

Jolly Good Fellow
Lot of teams do it, NIU had a scripted video being acted out to display what they were wearing before they beat our ***.
Yea let the MAC teams do that. No disrespect to the G5 teams but we can't compare ourselves to them if we expect to be great. The big time successful programs rarely do it if at all. they didn't kick our rear. We let them beat us due to pour coaching and a QB with the yips. (I'm not fully blaming Sims. The yips happen, coaches just need to better prepare the next guy in line. NIU was a solid team last year but their talent level is way lower than ours.

DaDodd

Jolly Good Fellow
Thought about it I changed my mind to simply it even more. Here is a Uniform Schedule Standard that could be used each.
GT UNIFORM SCHEDULE STANDARD.jpg

I think using GBW for the FCS opponent will hopefully draw more of a crowd or a less exciting game. If there is no Thursday home game that season then no whiteout game.

Here's how it would have applied to the 2019 schedule and this years schedule.
219 ex.PNG
2022 GT UNIFORM SCHEDULE3.jpg

I think this keeps it simple and fans will always know that to expect each season. Let me know your thoughts.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Thought about it I changed my mind to simply it even more. Here is a Uniform Schedule Standard that could be used each.
View attachment 12895

I think using GBW for the FCS opponent will hopefully draw more of a crowd or a less exciting game. If there is no Thursday home game that season then no whiteout game.

View attachment 12896View attachment 12897

I think this keeps it simple and fans will always know that to expect each season. Let me know your thoughts.
I mean, I’m not opposed to having a uniform schedule based on opponents, but this is way too strict and pretty boring. Even the 2 most famous “white at home” (LSU and the Dallas Cowboys) teams have been transitioning into more flavor and variety with their uniforms.

With this “schedule” you’re still leaving our traditional GT looks than can be used as alternates, and still fit within most fans’ acceptable alternate preference: both for it and against it.

White helmets, white jerseys, gold pants
33A193EF-2C8E-4CD5-8015-90E8DB614501.jpeg

Gold helmets, white jerseys, white pants
A53F4017-DA23-4AC3-8A34-2DA5845A403C.jpeg

Of course white helmets, gold jerseys, white pants
D1D980F2-1FAA-442E-9E63-4A40F1A6902F.jpeg

And then Gold helmets, Blue jerseys, gold pants.
63652C29-725E-42C8-8E69-C731AF4BD8E9.jpeg

That eliminates the more polarizing combos by taking out anything with blue pants, and W/B/W, but leaves plenty of combos that are both historic and fitting to the brand. That’s 8 combos:
G/W/G
G/W/W
G/G/W
G/B/W
G/B/G
W/G/W
W/W/G
W/W/W

I think you had it closer in your original layout. Save G/B/G for championship/bowl games where we’re the “home team.” If we’re the “away” team in those games it’s G/W/G.

Color at home should be the standard. So in a year we play 7 home games, there should be 1 whiteout, and 1 G/W/G game. The other 5 should be gold or blue jerseys. With 5 road games we would still be wearing white in 7 of 12 games for a majority in white.

Everything else you could pick some qualifier. You could do it by month, opponent, time of game, whatever. (Ex: white pants always in September.) or (ex: white helmets against non conference opponents) or (white jerseys for noon games). Whatever you want to pick.

When you have LSU, Ohio State, Florida, Tennessee, Oklahoma, etc and even the Dallas Freaking Cowboys messing with their uniform tradition, it’s too late to go back to plain white jerseys every game.

DaDodd

Jolly Good Fellow
Color at home should be the standard. So in a year we play 7 home games, there should be 1 whiteout, and 1 G/W/G game. The other 5 should be gold or blue jerseys. With 5 road games we would still be wearing white in 7 of 12 games for a majority in white.
You had me until this. My whole Tech uniform history was to show that white at home is our standard. Only one white home game? I think we are just on opposite sides of preference.

I do agree that the schedule may sound strict and I’m willing to throw as WGW, WWG, or GWW in there every once in a while. But only on rare occasions.

You mentioned teams like LSU and the Cowboys. LSU wears YWY for every game except two. YPY for out of conference home games/home openers and some other special combo for one game. LSU started wearing white at home in the 50s because they were tired of Tech wearing it. (Tech was really good and they were jealous) So they wore white at home against tech so that they had to wear a color. In 1958 they won the NC and they stuck with white at home stating it was good luck. And the cowboys predominantly always wear white at home. Yes they wear alternates for a few games but it’s only a few. If the Cowboys started wearing navy tops for every home game but one, there would be an uproar from the fans. Tennessee where’s black or smoky grays once per year. Oklahoma wears their cream once maybe twice a year. I’m not against one or two game alternates. I just don’t like different combos every game. It’s hard to solidify a brand if it changes every game. (Oregon has already claimed the brand of once a done combos)
GWG is our identity and brand.

Overall thanks for you input. I appreciate the pics!

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
You had me until this. My whole Tech uniform history was to show that white at home is our standard. Only one white home game? I think we are just on opposite sides of preference.

I do agree that the schedule may sound strict and I’m willing to throw as WGW, WWG, or GWW in there every once in a while. But only on rare occasions.

You mentioned teams like LSU and the Cowboys. LSU wears YWY for every game except two. YPY for out of conference home games/home openers and some other special combo for one game. LSU started wearing white at home in the 50s because they were tired of Tech wearing it. (Tech was really good and they were jealous) So they wore white at home against tech so that they had to wear a color. In 1958 they won the NC and they stuck with white at home stating it was good luck. And the cowboys predominantly always wear white at home. Yes they wear alternates for a few games but it’s only a few. If the Cowboys started wearing navy tops for every home game but one, there would be an uproar from the fans. Tennessee where’s black or smoky grays once per year. Oklahoma wears their cream once maybe twice a year. I’m not against one or two game alternates. I just don’t like different combos every game. It’s hard to solidify a brand if it changes every game. (Oregon has already claimed the brand of once a done combos)
GWG is our identity and brand.

Overall thanks for you input. I appreciate the pics!
I think part of the difference too with Oregon is that despite their changing uniforms, they are still generally easily recognizable as Oregon because of their colors. Tons of teams use blue white and gold or black white and gold, so when you switch it up from just white and gold you can end up looking like any one of them.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

White at home is boring. That’s my whole point. So boring in fact, that other teams notorious for doing it starting to mix it up. White jerseys over and over, week after week, year after year, it gets old. Old for the fans and old for the players. Why should wearing combinations with our color scheme (white and gold) be on rare occasions?

You mentioned teams like LSU and the Cowboys. LSU wears YWY for every game except two. YPY for out of conference home games/home openers and some other special combo for one game. LSU started wearing white at home in the 50s because they were tired of Tech wearing it. (Tech was really good and they were jealous) So they wore white at home against tech so that they had to wear a color. In 1958 they won the NC and they stuck with white at home stating it was good luck. And the cowboys predominantly always wear white at home. Yes they wear alternates for a few games but it’s only a few. If the Cowboys started wearing navy tops for every home game but one, there would be an uproar from the fans.
The Cowboys are literally wearing navy at home more times now than they ever have. Because their fan base said white is BORING. They didn’t have an uproar. They actively encouraged it! The Cowboys are wearing navy at home and on the road more times now than they ever have!

LSU wore purple for 2 of their 7 home games in 2019, and another game on the road. They even included a white helmet for 2 of those games. Did anybody forget their colors are purple and yellow because they didn’t wear any yellow uniform elements? NO. There’s no reason to act like it’s an abomination to wear white pants or gold/blue jerseys for GT. There’s historical precedent for literally all of the combinations I posted pictures of. A lot of GT’s best seasons and games have come when wearing uniforms other than G/W/G. It’s a tired “tradition”, and GT hasn’t had the success this century to keep playing it off as some sort of winning standard.

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
View attachment 12895

View attachment 12896View attachment 12897

I'm almost on board.

Home standard (3-4 gm) - GWG
Whiteout (1 gm) - WWW
Home alternate/FCS (1 gm) - GBW
Homecoming (1 gm) - WGW

Away standard (3-4 gm) - GWG
Away alternate (1 gm) - WWG
Away alternate (1 gm) - GWW

UGA home - GGW
ACCCG - GWG
Bowl - GWG

NEVER USE: Blue pants, WBW, GBG, WBG, GBG, GGG, WGG.

My primary conviction has less to do with traditional uniforms and more with refocusing on WHITE and GOLD. Not a fan of blue jerseys but, I can look at our GBW uni combo once a year, now with white numbers, and see, okay, still a white and gold team. Every other blue combo doesn't work. I like all of our WWW, GWW, WGW, GGW, GWG combos.

DaDodd

Jolly Good Fellow
White at home is boring. That’s my whole point. So boring in fact, that other teams notorious for doing it starting to mix it up. White jerseys over and over, week after week, year after year, it gets old. Old for the fans and old for the players. Why should wearing combinations with our color scheme (white and gold) be on rare occasions?

Because what then would set us apart from any other team with our same color scheme? Do we want to look like Notre Dame, Navy, Akron, FIU. With us using black now, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, Purdue, Colorado, Army, UCF. Only two teams in college football predominantly wear white at home. Georgia Tech and LSU. Why change that? We need Tech to have an identity so that when they come out of that tunnel, outsiders and people across the county can immediate tell that that is Georgia Tech. During the CPJ years we were known as "that option team". That was our identity. Well that's gone and we need something special again to set us apart. (Playing better and winning games is a must as well to set us apart.) Having a different uniform combo each week doesn't do that.

I think just because we had certain combos in the past doesn't me we should use all of them on a constant basis. We had a constant brand until we followed the multi-combo trend of the early 2010s and the only brand left was white at home. I'm ok with GWW or WWG or even WGW on rare occasions. Maybe use one of those combos for one away game a year. But I agree we need to get aback to White and Gold. I say "rare occasions" because it should be something special when we use them. If we change every week then there's nothing special attached to them.

We just need constancy to gain that identity. Alternates every once in a white but GWG needs to used at least 7-8 games a year. That leaves 4-5 games for GBW, GGW, WWW, and some other away combos or WGW.

I understand that you may think that is boring and some others may think that as well. But I think the majority of the fans want to see more White and Gold. White coming before Gold. But I understand that some fans want some verity. That's why I threw in GBW and GGW and WWW. I'm just trying to simply things.
1. To solidify a brand and identity.
2. To emphasize our two main colors White and Gold.
3. To eliminate weekly uniform reveals that can be a distraction to the players.
4. To inform the fans what to expect before the season.

I agree that we should NEVER wear blue pants. NEVER.

DaDodd

Jolly Good Fellow
They could be idk. You don't see elite teams doing weekly reveals. You may see it for special game but for the most party only G5 teams or teams desperate for attention do it. I'd rather us channel our focus on getting better on the field. That will catch more eyes then some weekly uniform reveal. What good is a cool uniform if you play terrible wearing it?

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
They could be idk. You don't see elite teams doing weekly reveals. You may see it for special game but for the most party only G5 teams or teams desperate for attention do it. I'd rather us channel our focus on getting better on the field. That will catch more eyes then some weekly uniform reveal. What good is a cool uniform if you play terrible wearing it?
Every team does some kind of uniform reveal for the week. These reveals take up 1 (maybe 2) player's time for probably 1 hour to get some footage, then the video teams makes a 1 minute video. It's basically a standard social media thing at this point.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Dog literally every team does weekly uniform reveals lol. A lot of them are either shot during the summer before the season, or don’t even have an actual player in the uniform. It’s really not a big deal.