Thoughts on the Portal

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I have suggested multiple times to give away seats (or maybe asked for $100 donations for 10 tickets to be given away) in upper North Stands. We could easily give away 5-10K seats per games excluding very few games.. Give the tickets to football youth leagues, high schools, military, etc. Would help fill the stadium and maybe along the way create some new Tech fans.
I agree. If we consistently struggle to fill the stadium, I like the idea of taking blocks of seats in the nosebleed sections and giving them to organizations like the ones you mentioned. And after every season, the athletic department could look at ticket sales from the season and adjust the number of seats given away as needed.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Hasn't it always been this way? Here are the teams in the NFL in 1930:

Green Bay Packers
New York Giants
Chicago Bears
Brooklyn Dodgers
Providence Steam Rollers
Staten Island Stapletons
Chicago Cardinals
Portsmouth Spartans
Frankford Yellow Jackets
Minneapolis Red Jackets
Newark Tornados

Major teams grew and prospered, marginal teams did not. Nothing new there. College football has evolved from a club sport, to a varsity sport, to a developmental league. (Golf is the same way now, btw.) Do I miss the old college football? Yes. Is it coming back? No. The big schools with big fanbases will prosper and the rest will become a feeder system much like the Minnesota Twins.
Random factoid, Spartan stadium still stands in Portsmouth and is used by a local high school team for play. The team later moved to Detroit and became the Lions.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Why did they move? Most likely, to get access to a larger fanbase. Which was my point in the original post.
IIRC, the local city government wouldn't yield to the Spartan's owner's demands for a new stadium with luxury boxes so he threatened to move to a city that would. Detroit, Flint, Sheboygan and Toledo were all considered and submitted bids but the owner was from Akron and there has always been a big rivalry between those two towns so they were eliminated although they had the most gennerous tax incentive package of the four. At least, that's how I recall it. I could be wrong. ;)

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The portal has to be hurting HS recruits. So many players moving into the portal that it gives coaches a better pool to pull from and less risk. Kids that were not working out with a team might have dropped out of football. Now they can drop down or move where there is a need without sitting a year. Some of them will get caught with no place to go when the music stops. HS kids that might have picked up a D1 scholarship offer are now competing with upperclassmen.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The portal has to be hurting HS recruits. So many players moving into the portal that it gives coaches a better pool to pull from and less risk. Kids that were not working out with a team might have dropped out of football. Now they can drop down or move where there is a need without sitting a year. Some of them will get caught with no place to go when the music stops. HS kids that might have picked up a D1 scholarship offer are now competing with upperclassmen.

I have had two recent conversations with HS coaches that confirm this. It's not hurting the blue chip guys, it is hurting the questionable or lower ranked guys. College coaches (per the coaches spoke with) seem to prefer gambling more on a 21 year old coming from another program than an 18 year old. Even the next levels down seem to prefer guys trickling down from upper levels. A local coach told me he has two seniors this year that didn't get offers who would have 3-4 or more years ago (even if from the Furmans, Kennesaw States or Mercers of the world). part of it is also the glut of players too from the extended eligibility.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This era of CFB reminds me of early 2000s NASCAR. Peak popularity but too many changes to its foundation that it will eventually dissolve its core fanbase because they are chasing a bigger market.

Apropos analogy.

NASCAR changes were driven by the death of Dale Earnhardt, Sr. They were forced into changes they knew weren't good for the popularity of the sport but were good for the safety of the drivers.

The forced NCAA changes are for the benefit of the players as well, and will likely serve to make the sport less popular as well.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Apropos analogy.

NASCAR changes were driven by the death of Dale Earnhardt, Sr. They were forced into changes they knew weren't good for the popularity of the sport but were good for the safety of the drivers.

The forced NCAA changes are for the benefit of the players as well, and will likely serve to make the sport less popular as well.
I don’t think there were any changes that NASCAR made that affected driver safety that drove off any fans. What drove off fans was changes like an abundance of 1.5mile tracks, race locations, scheduling, competition cautions, the playoff system, stage racing, and messing with the engine package in the cars.

The way the NCAA is losing popularity is by literally not enforcing any of their own rules, and allowing just a few teams and schools to dominate even after years of rule breaking. Also, by seeing the regionalization happen in college sports and actively doing nothing to prevent it, or help spread the wealth and success to different parts of the country.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t think there were any changes that NASCAR made that affected driver safety that drove off any fans. What drove off fans was changes like an abundance of 1.5mile tracks, race locations, scheduling, competition cautions, the playoff system, stage racing, and messing with the engine package in the cars.

The way the NCAA is losing popularity is by literally not enforcing any of their own rules, and allowing just a few teams and schools to dominate even after years of rule breaking. Also, by seeing the regionalization happen in college sports and actively doing nothing to prevent it, or help spread the wealth and success to different parts of the country.
They took the sport away from their fan base, removed any individuality in the cars, teams, manufacturers, and put them on cookie cutter racetracks. Used to love Nascar. Can't remember the last time I watched a Nascar race from start to finish...

I did however get my wife hooked on F1 Drive to Survive... That was a good idea.... Now shes talking about going to a GP...

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I have had two recent conversations with HS coaches that confirm this. It's not hurting the blue chip guys, it is hurting the questionable or lower ranked guys. College coaches (per the coaches spoke with) seem to prefer gambling more on a 21 year old coming from another program than an 18 year old. Even the next levels down seem to prefer guys trickling down from upper levels. A local coach told me he has two seniors this year that didn't get offers who would have 3-4 or more years ago (even if from the Furmans, Kennesaw States or Mercers of the world). part of it is also the glut of players too from the extended eligibility.
So is that necessarily a bad thing?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
They took the sport away from their fan base, removed any individuality in the cars, teams, manufacturers, and put them on cookie cutter racetracks. Used to love Nascar. Can't remember the last time I watched a Nascar race from start to finish...

I did however get my wife hooked on F1 Drive to Survive... That was a good idea.... Now shes talking about going to a GP...
What I miss was going down to the Peach Bowl (the race track) in Atlanta and watching the figure 8s. We'd always go the week before the 500. All - and I mean all - the NASCAR drivers drove in the figure 8s and had a great time doing so. We had a great time watching too.

Ah, well. At least there's still an 4/10s track in my wife's home town that preserves a little of that slam/bam spirit.

And, yes, the portal sucks.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
What I miss was going down to the Peach Bowl (the race track) in Atlanta and watching the figure 8s. We'd always go the week before the 500. All - and I mean all - the NASCAR drivers drove in the figure 8s and had a great time doing so. We had a great time watching too.

Ah, well. At least there's still an 4/10s track in my wife's home town that preserves a little of that slam/bam spirit.

And, yes, the portal sucks.
Watched figure 8 races at the Fairgrounds in Nashville as a kid back in the 60's and loved it. Some drivers were timid, and others were hell bent.
And to keep it on topic - yes, the portal does indeed suck.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the portal will end up destroying what College Football used to be about. Now its becoming at some levels, NFL light. Plenty of I and no Team. But, I know im out of date. Do we know that a young player after a year or two, is not being told. You prob ought to get into the portal. Is it a excuse for not developing talent. If you do, that player jumps to a bigger pond. No commitment on either side ? The portal is not good. Esp for schools like GT. JMO.

Last edited:

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I had another thought about the Portal: it happened because the corruption by the NCAA built up pressure until public frustration forced their hand. If they had just enforced their rules consistently and fairly, I don’t think the Portal would have come about. The problem was that (like with their enforcement of many rules), they made exceptions when it benefited the Blue Blood teams while saying “Tough luck” to everyone else.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I had another thought about the Portal: it happened because the corruption by the NCAA built up pressure until public frustration forced their hand. If they had just enforced their rules consistently and fairly, I don’t think the Portal would have come about. The problem was that (like with their enforcement of many rules), they made exceptions when it benefited the Blue Blood teams while saying “Tough luck” to everyone else.
Sure felt inconsistent. Maybe it was too much to ask them to crack down on football factories and their bagmen since these were paying everyone’s salary. But the hypocrisy seemed to get more obvious year by year. I remember watching a 30 for 30 episode about the corruption at SMU. The take away was that the NCAA regretted the death penalty and resolved “never again.” It seemed like years later penalties were mostly symbolic and if a school got hit really hard it was never a blue blood.