Thoughts on the Portal

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
What I miss was going down to the Peach Bowl (the race track) in Atlanta and watching the figure 8s. We'd always go the week before the 500. All - and I mean all - the NASCAR drivers drove in the figure 8s and had a great time doing so. We had a great time watching too.

Ah, well. At least there's still an 4/10s track in my wife's home town that preserves a little of that slam/bam spirit.

And, yes, the portal sucks.
I remember going to Dixie speedway when I was in school. They’d have dirt track shootouts during Winston Cup week at AMS - saw Earhnardt against Awesome Bill. And then we lived 20 min away for 18 years and I never went back there….

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think the portal will end up destroying what College Football used to be about. Now its becoming at some levels, NFL light. Plenty of I and no Team. But, I know im out of date. Do we know that a young player after a year or two, is not being told. You prob ought to get into the portal. Is it a excuse for not developing talent. If you do, that player jumps to a bigger pond. No commitment on either side ? The portal is not good. Esp for schools like GT. JMO.
Since so many are going to be moving instead of sticking out their commitments, I wonder if one unintended consequence of the portal will be coaching contracts of shorter duration and extension. Having an HC contract that extends at least four years out has perhaps become less important for recruits, and thus less necessary for ADs.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think the portal will end up destroying what College Football used to be about. Now its becoming at some levels, NFL light. Plenty of I and no Team. But, I know im out of date. Do we know that a young player after a year or two, is not being told. You prob ought to get into the portal. Is it a excuse for not developing talent. If you do, that player jumps to a bigger pond. No commitment on either side ? The portal is not good. Esp for schools like GT. JMO.

The portal would have been bad enough by itself, but coupled with the NIL $$$ it's a boon for the factories and will be a net loss for everyone else.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have had two recent conversations with HS coaches that confirm this. It's not hurting the blue chip guys, it is hurting the questionable or lower ranked guys. College coaches (per the coaches spoke with) seem to prefer gambling more on a 21 year old coming from another program than an 18 year old. Even the next levels down seem to prefer guys trickling down from upper levels. A local coach told me he has two seniors this year that didn't get offers who would have 3-4 or more years ago (even if from the Furmans, Kennesaw States or Mercers of the world). part of it is also the glut of players too from the extended eligibility.

I think the last part about extended eligibility has made the portal much more potent for the next couple years. Just more talent in CFB since players are older.

The portal IIWII.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
The portal would have been bad enough by itself, but coupled with the NIL $$$ it's a boon for the factories and will be a net loss for everyone else.
There are people who think the opposite is true and it completely baffles me. They think that everyone being allowed to "pay" players helps raise up the non-top-tier programs, but it really helps programs in proportion to how much money their fanbase has and is willing to spend. I think we're headed towards the big money programs being able to hoard talent beyond their 85 scholarship limit by getting NIL deals to cover the cost of a "walk on" 4-star transfer from a lower program.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Watched figure 8 races at the Fairgrounds in Nashville as a kid back in the 60's and loved it. Some drivers were timid, and others were hell bent.
And to keep it on topic - yes, the portal does indeed suck.
We are from the same hometown and time. Went to lots of races there in High School. Marty Robbins drove a car there.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
We are from the same hometown and time. Went to lots of races there in High School. Marty Robbins drove a car there.
Neat. I grew up in north Georgia near Chattanooga, but spent lots of time in Nashville visiting my aunt and uncle. Loved the figure 8's, and the Grand Ole Opry, too.

And, in keeping with the theme of the thread, I will say that the portal is not our friend. It taketh more than it giveth.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
There are people who think the opposite is true and it completely baffles me. They think that everyone being allowed to "pay" players helps raise up the non-top-tier programs, but it really helps programs in proportion to how much money their fanbase has and is willing to spend. I think we're headed towards the big money programs being able to hoard talent beyond their 85 scholarship limit by getting NIL deals to cover the cost of a "walk on" 4-star transfer from a lower program.
Many of the factories have been ponying up the big bucks for years, both the above the table and the below the table kind. Everything being out in the open now just allows them to unify the revenue stream into their program and make it more efficient. Meanwhile a school like Tech has to try to catch up with teams that have a 40 year head start in knowing how to do this.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Many of the factories have been ponying up the big bucks for years, both the above the table and the below the table kind. Everything being out in the open now just allows them to unify the revenue stream into their program and make it more efficient. Meanwhile a school like Tech has to try to catch up with teams that have a 40 year head start in knowing how to do this.
I don't think a 40 year headstart really has anything to do with it, Tech alumni are smart enough to know how to setup funds to pay players. The issue is we do not have enough fans with enough money they are willing to play the game with. The reward isn't worth the cost and risk for most Tech fans. Dwag fans have no problem mortgaging the doublewide to support the team because their whole life revolves around it, they have nothing else.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This is EXACTLY where it's headed...

My apologies. We've already reached that point, only it wasn't a factory that got there first...

BYU is unique in that their tuition is dirt cheap, ($3,000-$6,000 per semester) so this was easy for their backers to accomplish. This will be harder for any non-factory schools without major financial backing.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
There will be the NFL, the semi-pro league composed of the large, factory schools and the “amateur” program for everyone else. Kids who missed out on offers from the elite programs will go to amateur schools and, if they prove themselves worthy of semi-pro status, they will transfer to the semi-pro factories. Kids who failed to impress at semi-pro factories will get “processed” by the factories to make room for the 4 and 5-star HS kids and those moving up from amateur schools. These processed kids from the factories will drop down to the amateur schools or drop out of football altogether. Schools just need to decide whether they are willing to do whatever it takes to play semi-pro football or accept their relegation to amateur football.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
My apologies. We've already reached that point, only it wasn't a factory that got there first...

BYU is unique in that their tuition is dirt cheap, ($3,000-$6,000 per semester) so this was easy for their backers to accomplish. This will be harder for any non-factory schools without major financial backing.
Bobby Dodd is rolling over in his grave. This is the reason we got out of the SEC in the first place. Yes, Alabama (et al.) will have 4* walk-ons. Walk-ons don't count against recruiting class limits, so we'll now see recruiting classes of 35-40 kids again. Those kids that don't cut it can be processed into the Portal or just lose their scholarship and become a walk-on. This will also put an end to grey-shirting and several other colors.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Bobby Dodd is rolling over in his grave. This is the reason we got out of the SEC in the first place. Yes, Alabama (et al.) will have 4* walk-ons. Walk-ons don't count against recruiting class limits, so we'll now see recruiting classes of 35-40 kids again. Those kids that don't cut it can be processed into the Portal or just lose their scholarship and become a walk-on. This will also put an end to grey-shirting and several other colors.
This was predictable. Although I will say that I’d rather see scholarships being handed out in lieu of cash payments. At least handing out scholarships seems a little more in keeping with the intent of COLLEGE athletics in the first place.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This was predictable. Although I will say that I’d rather see scholarships being handed out in lieu of cash payments. At least handing out scholarships seems a little more in keeping with the intent of COLLEGE athletics in the first place.
NIL agreements were supposed to be between companies and players. The University is supposed to have nothing to do with it. How can they put stickers on the practice helmets? Also, the coach stated directly that it was great to have the Program partnering with these great companies. I'm very confused about what is and is not allowed.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
NIL agreements were supposed to be between companies and players. The University is supposed to have nothing to do with it. How can they put stickers on the practice helmets? Also, the coach stated directly that it was great to have the Program partnering with these great companies. I'm very confused about what is and is not allowed.
I think we all are. Honestly, right now it’s ALL allowed... until it’s not. If some parameters aren’t enforced, there isnt much of a barrier in sight.

Sure the school still has scholarship limits, but if a partner program wants to pay tuition, room and board as part of an NIL deal, is that a school sponsored scholarship?

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I have had two recent conversations with HS coaches that confirm this. It's not hurting the blue chip guys, it is hurting the questionable or lower ranked guys. College coaches (per the coaches spoke with) seem to prefer gambling more on a 21 year old coming from another program than an 18 year old. Even the next levels down seem to prefer guys trickling down from upper levels. A local coach told me he has two seniors this year that didn't get offers who would have 3-4 or more years ago (even if from the Furmans, Kennesaw States or Mercers of the world). part of it is also the glut of players too from the extended eligibility.
All the more opportunity to get coaches who are good developers/talent evaluators.