Thoughts on Syracuse

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
I feel like I'm a lot more optimistic about this game than most. We are still a bit untested(or rather the strengths of our past opponents is unknown).

I'm confident our offense is every bit as good as last year, if not better. If we have an improved defense, which i think we do, this game should prove it.

Almost any team can win a game, but I'd rate us as below, which makes me confident in success. That said, turnovers or a lack of focus or discipline can kill any team. Can't let this ranking get in our head. We have a lot to prove.

GT
O- A-
D- B- (could be higher/lower)

Syracuse
O- B
D- C-

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
@CuseJacket on Sunday mornin' ....

Sad At First I GIF by Katelyn Tarver

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I have rose colored glasses on for this game. Firstly, I think both FSU and GT are both much better teams than they showed in their second game. In the first game on their first possession, FSU shoved it down our throats. In our first possession, we likewise did the same to FSU. After that, it was pretty much of a dog fight and we came put on top because we had the best QB for sure. In the second game, we came out vanilla and flat after a grueling and emotional overseas trip less than a week ago. Same is said for FSU. This week will give us more insight if these thoughts are justified.
I have a lot of faith in the ability of our offense to move the ball against the Orange men, and the unknown is can we stop an accurate passer with P4 quality receivers like they have. With 2 games under our belt, I think Santucci's defense will rise to the occasion.
Go Jackets!

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Grew up near Syracuse, and yeah the fans there can get a little porky when they think they have a good team. But I’m thinking if the Ohio Bobcats can run for 250+ and total 400+ we can do at least as well, maybe approach 500.

I haven’t been up there in years but I understand that there’s a place called Dinosaur BBQ that’s supposed to be pretty good.🤷🏻‍♂️

And it really is pretty country up there, especially in the fall.
Went to Dinosaur BBQ years ago. It was good, especially for NY.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Athletic team, good length, balanced on offense and defense, don’t make a lot of mistakes, hungry and ambitious, good coach. -This is the kind of team Tech needs to be able to beat on the road to show that we’ve established an identity of toughness.

If we lose, we still have a good team but we are still in rebuilding year two. If we win, I think we can officially be excited about the season because the sky’s the limit.
I hate to say it as this kind of thing has a way of becoming automatic but this one is pretty much a must win along with Duke. Losing to a powerhouse like Miami, Notre Dame, and Georgia is one thing but this one is entirely within our ability to win. The blueprint could not be more simple: get pressure on McCord, steal possessions via three and outs or turnovers, and run the football effectively mixed in with play action passes as the safeties come up for big plays.

After watching Syracuse against Ohio, I am impressed with their quarterback, receivers are very good and they have versatile hard running backs that can run, block, and catch passes. Not qualified to judge the offensive line but Ohio as overmatched as they were managed at times to get pressure. Syracuse repeatedly failed to set the edge and the big 225lb running back for Ohio ran wild for over 200 yards. Impressive.

We cannot beat this team kicking field goals. Ohio would drive the length of the field primarily running the ball and then forget about their bruiser. They kicked three field goals in the first half and it cost them any chance to win. Ohio had over 400 yards total offense. Syracuse's open field tackling left a lot to be desired but Tyus III may have had something to do with that. He was a load.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Went and watched the highlights and looked through the stats from their game against Ohio. The Syracuse defense is bad. Ohio lost, like someone else mentioned, because they kicked FGs in the red zone. We should put up 500 yards on this defense and score 35+. If our defense can make a few stops I think we can win, but it should be a shoot out.
In typical ACC fashion...defense? What's that?

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I must be the only one huffing hopium, but I feel that our defense will hold up well and this is a score more inline with 42-24 good guys than a closer ball game. I think McCord being less mobile, us having been in timezone for longer, and it being a conference opponent will be telling.
They will be huffing copeium once the game is done

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I disagree with your assertion that King isn't accurate throwing the ball downfield. Last year the guy threw 26 TD's and a fair number of them were long throws. If Syracuse brings a safety up for run support that will leave either Singleton, Lane or Rutherford with single coverage. While their corners have the size I don't think they have the speed of those three. Keep in mind Cuse runs a 4-2-5 defense which I don't personally feel it is an ideal defense to stop a good strong running team. That brings the safeties into play. I also don't think their linebackers have the speed to keep up with Boyd at tight end. I could see him having a big day.

Also, I keep seeing people say our corners can't cover. I don't know what they are looking at to make that claim. I feel like Harvey and Burrell are the strength of our defense. I mean no corner is going to be able to cover for 8-10 seconds so we need to get pressure up front. Like most of us I feel like we can score. The game will come down to which defense can get some stops.
I think King is accurate throwing long but he did miss one to Singleton on what looked to be a flag pattern to the corner. If I am Syracuse, I would make stopping the run priority one. If you don't, Tech will run it and run it and run it some more which makes for a very long day on defense. I would rather take my chances with King throwing it especially since Syracuse has good ball hawkers though their tackling leaves a lot to be desired. I don't know how much losing the linebacker will mean, maybe a lot, perhaps not much but against a run first team with a very good offensive line like Tech it should be a cause for concern if you are Syracuse.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I have rose colored glasses on for this game. Firstly, I think both FSU and GT are both much better teams than they showed in their second game. In the first game on their first possession, FSU shoved it down our throats. In our first possession, we likewise did the same to FSU. After that, it was pretty much of a dog fight and we came put on top because we had the best QB for sure. In the second game, we came out vanilla and flat after a grueling and emotional overseas trip less than a week ago. Same is said for FSU. This week will give us more insight if these thoughts are justified.
I have a lot of faith in the ability of our offense to move the ball against the Orange men, and the unknown is can we stop an accurate passer with P4 quality receivers like they have. With 2 games under our belt, I think Santucci's defense will rise to the occasion.
Go Jackets!
I agree about Tech but I don't think FSU is going to get it turned around until Norvell gives up on DJ. He is the very picture of what Spurrier would say about some of his own players: "Looks like Tarzan...plays like Jane". I just don't think FSU is all that good, certainly should not have been ranked number 10 which leads me to wonder about Tech. Are we really that good...or just lucky? We can find out this week.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I want to echo @BCJacket's and @SidewalkJacket's points about Cuse's bad tackling, and our speed on offense. Not a good combination if you are a Syracuse fan. I also watched the condensed game and thought their tacking was worse than ours in the BG game last year (if that is even possible). I know it was their first game, but their defense overall looked slow and tentative—lots of whiffs from diving at feet. To Ohio's credit, they do have a big, powerful RB, but he wasn't having to overpower them that much to make good yardage. Once Syracuse got up two scores, Ohio got away from their run game some, but still scored on an option run. I see a 100+ yard game from Jamal.

Syracuse did get some sacks and TFLs, but I think our O-line is significantly better than Ohio's, not to mention Haynes King's elusiveness. All this to say I don't think we are going to have a problem scoring.

On offense, Cuse has weapons at TE and WR, and an accurate QB. They will score some points. I think we will score more.

bucknellbison31

Jolly Good Fellow
Just watched the replay that the ACCN posted. Look, I don't want to diminish any ACC opponent, but I had two main takeaways:

1) Our offense should have a field day against this team. Ohio gashed them over and over again, especially on the ground. We have one of the best rushing attacks in the country (maybe the best) and they won't be able to stop it.

2) McCord is talented but threw some absolute no-no passes that should have been picked. He looked pretty good, but I want to remind everybody that he did it against Ohio (not State, in case you were confused). Who knows how good our defense actually is, but I know this: if he throws a ball right to one of our guys, we'll catch it, which Ohio was incapable of doing.

It comes down to this: do we have a better offense? Yes. Do we have a better defense? Yes. Thus, we should win. That doesn't mean we automatically will, but we should be confident as a fanbase (something that evidently isn't the case given the sentiment on this board).

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I hate to say it as this kind of thing has a way of becoming automatic but this one is pretty much a must win along with Duke. Losing to a powerhouse like Miami, Notre Dame, and Georgia is one thing but this one is entirely within our ability to win. The blueprint could not be more simple: get pressure on McCord, steal possessions via three and outs or turnovers, and run the football effectively mixed in with play action passes as the safeties come up for big plays.

After watching Syracuse against Ohio, I am impressed with their quarterback, receivers are very good and they have versatile hard running backs that can run, block, and catch passes. Not qualified to judge the offensive line but Ohio as overmatched as they were managed at times to get pressure. Syracuse repeatedly failed to set the edge and the big 225lb running back for Ohio ran wild for over 200 yards. Impressive.

We cannot beat this team kicking field goals. Ohio would drive the length of the field primarily running the ball and then forget about their bruiser. They kicked three field goals in the first half and it cost them any chance to win. Ohio had over 400 yards total offense. Syracuse's open field tackling left a lot to be desired but Tyus III may have had something to do with that. He was a load.
Agreed on all counts, especially how this is the kind of game a season can hang on, not Notre Dame, Miami, uga etc., as you pointed out.

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
Despite growing up in the south, I’m a firm believer in blue cheese as the official dip for wings… it’s blue cheese country up there.

Dinosaur BBQ is solid. I haven’t been to the one in Syracuse but was at the one in Rochester last year.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know how much losing the linebacker will mean, maybe a lot, perhaps not much but against a run first team with a very good offensive line like Tech it should be a cause for concern if you are Syracuse.

Imagine how we would feel if we lost Efford. I think it was Cuse who mentioned that Wax was their best defensive player. He was named ACC Linebacker of the week for Week 1 despite leaving the game in the 3rd quarter.

LINEBACKER – Marlowe Wax, Syracuse, LB, Baltimore, Maryland
Wax had 2.0 tackles-for-loss, a sack, a forced fumble, a quarterback hurry and six total tackles in Syracuse’s win over Ohio, despite suffering a third-quarter injury that sidelined him for the remainder of the game. Wax moved into sole possession of second place in program history in forced fumbles (9), now trailing just Pro and College Football Hall of Famer Dwight Freeney (14).​

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
I think King is accurate throwing long but he did miss one to Singleton on what looked to be a flag pattern to the corner. If I am Syracuse, I would make stopping the run priority one. If you don't, Tech will run it and run it and run it some more which makes for a very long day on defense. I would rather take my chances with King throwing it especially since Syracuse has good ball hawkers though their tackling leaves a lot to be desired. I don't know how much losing the linebacker will mean, maybe a lot, perhaps not much but against a run first team with a very good offensive line like Tech it should be a cause for concern if you are Syracuse.
Go back and watch it. Singleton slowed down a little when he gained separation and turned to find the ball. Had he run flat out for the whole route, it would have been catchable. That was not just an overthrow, but also a let-up by the receiver.