Thoughts on Syracuse

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks all for the well wishes. Much appreciated.

@Fatmike91 - Awesome you are going to rep the white and gold! Parking is notoriously bad if you're looking for convenience. Thankfully, it's not later in the year where you'll be traversing ice and snow. I recommend a paid lot around Marshall Street. It is the quintessential college row of restaurants and a few bars for food / atmosphere, and a nice walk up the hill and through a decent part of campus to the Dome. There's been some turnover on the street, and my favorites have closed since I was living there, but one staple is Varsity. No relation to the ATL version; just a solid NY style pizza place.

@Poodletop had a good suggestion of Dinosaur BBQ. Might be good for a meal further from gametime as it's not walkable to the Dome. It is good BBQ and has won national awards despite being in upstate NY. Frequented by bikers which adds to the atmosphere. There are also a number of good Italian restaurants if you're into it.

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
If Ga State can find holes in our coverage, so can Syracuse. We have a lot to clean up before Saturday.

I think we have good staff and players, but it’ll be tough.

Syracuse’s coach Fran Brown (who used to be at UGA) was complimentary of a lot of our players and our staff.
I think we went vanilla with State. There wasn’t much blitzing. I expect Santucci to dial up some more pressure against McCord. He’s not as mobile.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I almost forgot this...

'Cuse DC Elijah Robinson:
  • Is a first-time Defensive Coordinator
  • Was previously at Texas A&M from 2018-2023 and served as defensive line coach and eventually assistant head coach
  • Much like Santucci, Robinson spent important years under Mike Elko from 2018-2021
  • He's familiar with Haynes King's earlier college years

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I think this is the beauty of our offense. If you're going to sell out to stop the run we've got some really good speed and ability on the outside. Our game plan against Georgia State was the same as FSU - RUN THE BAWWWWWLLLLLL! But when they started bringing numbers up to the line we hit them really hard with Rutherford, Singleton, Boyd, Lane, etc. I do think the week spot on our team is downfield passing - I just don't think King is very accurate in the long game. But I don't think you can stop the run and the intermediate passing game at the same time and we've looked pretty good in both.

We'll see how the game goes, but if I'm Syracuse I probably want King to beat me with his arm. Last year he was hit or miss when teams did that to us; based on the last two games I feel like he's making MUCH better decisions and I feel like his throws are better. It wouldn't surprise me if Syracuse made King win the game through the air; it also wouldn't surprise me if he came through with a monster performance and won it for us.
I disagree with your assertion that King isn't accurate throwing the ball downfield. Last year the guy threw 26 TD's and a fair number of them were long throws. If Syracuse brings a safety up for run support that will leave either Singleton, Lane or Rutherford with single coverage. While their corners have the size I don't think they have the speed of those three. Keep in mind Cuse runs a 4-2-5 defense which I don't personally feel it is an ideal defense to stop a good strong running team. That brings the safeties into play. I also don't think their linebackers have the speed to keep up with Boyd at tight end. I could see him having a big day.

Also, I keep seeing people say our corners can't cover. I don't know what they are looking at to make that claim. I feel like Harvey and Burrell are the strength of our defense. I mean no corner is going to be able to cover for 8-10 seconds so we need to get pressure up front. Like most of us I feel like we can score. The game will come down to which defense can get some stops.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
McCord was a scapegoat at Ohio State. The guy can play. He wouldn't have been a good fit for OSU's new OC Chip Kelly. Robert Anae is a great OC. He's someone I mentioned GT should go after when Key hire was finalized. McCord and Anae are going to put up some big numbers this year. I'm just glad we get them early.

This could easily be an offensive shootout. I'm not sure Cuse's defense is good enough to consistently stop us. I think if we can get 3-4 stops this game without Cuse getting into the endzone, GT should win this one.

GT has an extra game under us, and I think that makes a LOT of difference. Usually around game 3-4 a team starts to gel and figure out what's working for them.

According to 247's talent composite, both teams are pretty much even in talent (GT #10, 'Cuse #12). Not sure how accurate that is, but it is a metric to consider.

I think for offensive enthusiasts, this should be a fun game to watch. Both teams have fun offenses to watch.

As I said earlier, this should be a shootout. I expect GT to make a couple more stops than Syracuse, and that will be the difference.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
After watching the Cuse-Ohio condensed game last night. I feel a little more optimistic about our chances. Their game stats and score-wise was actually pretty close to our game against GSU. Ohio won 10 games last year, but they got decimated by P4 programs poaching their best players. So, it's not clear how good they might be. Cuse struggled in some areas.

On D, Cuse did not tackle well at all, their DL got pushed around a fair bit and they struggled to contain the run game. The Ohio QB didn't look like a great passer, at all, (ESPN QBR of 17.2) But managed to put up 181 yards. Cuse's D did tighten up in the red zone and held them to FGs. But they also got some lucky breaks from Ohio miscues (fumbles, penalties) and Ohio made some bad play calls IMHO. They were successfully running the ball, but then got 1st and goal and called for passes (which resulted in TFLs and sacks.) Ohio was really close to scoring 3 more TDs instead of FGs. Our Offense should be able to run the ball successfully. But I think we're going to have to find a way to test them downfield and break some explosive plays. We're going to need to put up points.

McCord is the real deal. His passes are gorgeous lasers, right on point. He's got a few good weapons on offense. Ohio got some pressure on him, but didn't get home for the sack, because McCord got rid of the ball quickly. But he's not very mobile and 'Cuse's OL didn't look great. Optimistically, our secondary should be better than Ohio's. If McCord doesn't have open guys available all the time, maybe our blitz can get to him. I think that's our best chance to slow them down. But 'Cuse's RB is also quite good. Our DL is going to need to really show up and play their best game yet.

Our D needs to 'steal' some possessions: 3 and outs, turnovers, red zone stands. My worry is that this looks like one of CPJ's games against UNC. Our offense grinds and we 'run the bawl' and control the clock. But they score quickly on 1 minute drives with McCord firing the ball off downfield. If it turns into a shootout, I think 'Cuse has the edge.

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
So I think our defense struggles, and we get challenged, but my gut tells me we prevail. Give me Tech 31-28. This could easily go the other way though.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
McCord was a scapegoat at Ohio State. The guy can play. He wouldn't have been a good fit for OSU's new OC Chip Kelly. Robert Anae is a great OC. He's someone I mentioned GT should go after when Key hire was finalized. McCord and Anae are going to put up some big numbers this year. I'm just glad we get them early.

This could easily be an offensive shootout. I'm not sure Cuse's defense is good enough to consistently stop us. I think if we can get 3-4 stops this game without Cuse getting into the endzone, GT should win this one.

GT has an extra game under us, and I think that makes a LOT of difference. Usually around game 3-4 a team starts to gel and figure out what's working for them.

According to 247's talent composite, both teams are pretty much even in talent (GT #10, 'Cuse #12). Not sure how accurate that is, but it is a metric to consider.

I think for offensive enthusiasts, this should be a fun game to watch. Both teams have fun offenses to watch.

As I said earlier, this should be a shootout. I expect GT to make a couple more stops than Syracuse, and that will be the difference.
Stupid turn overs and drive stalling brain fart penalties are digital events we can't have. Good that we practiced in doors with speaker noise.

Hope we see a few more deep balls - but save that part of the playbook for Louisville.

A tell for us is - on first down can we regularly make over 5 yds. We will roll.
A tell for them- can our db be in tight coverage for mid and long pass plays. We will get interceptions.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
In Key's presser, he said that the game's outcome will not be an issue of scheme but will be determined by which team is tougher and not beating themselves. I have no reason to doubt that this is true.

Turnovers, penalties, who can keep swinging for 60 minutes. The analytics and strategy are good for mid-week conversation.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Just posted on the Ticket Exchange thread that I have two extra tickets in the Tech section (314). Will sell for $35 each, if interested. We're going, but just wound up with 2 extras. Message me if interested.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
I must be the only one huffing hopium, but I feel that our defense will hold up well and this is a score more inline with 42-24 good guys than a closer ball game. I think McCord being less mobile, us having been in timezone for longer, and it being a conference opponent will be telling.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Athletic team, good length, balanced on offense and defense, don’t make a lot of mistakes, hungry and ambitious, good coach. -This is the kind of team Tech needs to be able to beat on the road to show that we’ve established an identity of toughness.

If we lose, we still have a good team but we are still in rebuilding year two. If we win, I think we can officially be excited about the season because the sky’s the limit.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
In Key's presser, he said that the game's outcome will not be an issue of scheme but will be determined by which team is tougher and not beating themselves. I have no reason to doubt that this is true.

Turnovers, penalties, who can keep swinging for 60 minutes. The analytics and strategy are good for mid-week conversation.
Just promise me we won't have another nEuTrAL officiating crew and we guud.

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the Syracuse D will sell out early to stop the run. Key has never minced words about what the identity of our football team will be and what our goal is. It’ll probably look a little like what GSU tried to do on defense, play tight man coverage and put 7-8 in the box consistently. Our first play from scrimmage should be a play action shot down the field just to loosen up their D.

Our D-line has to fill gaps and get to McCord. It’ll be up to the backers to take care of Allen and our secondary to press their receivers.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Credit to Ohio’s RB, but Jamal will be as dangerous if not more. I’m telling you we’re gonna thrash these guys. The film is atrocious
122 yards after contact by the Ohio RB stood out big time. Only one of those runs was over 25 yards too so it was all on chunk plays, not one or two long runs.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
SPEED

We have more of it on offense than I remember us having since GOL years.

Our offensive scheme is so freakin hard to stop, and we can pop big plays no matter the down and distance b/c we're getting our speedsters the ball in space in creative ways. Even when it looked a little disjointed at times against GaSt, we still popped big plays when we needed them.

I think GaSt defense was faster and more athletic than Cuse.

We're not gonna get stopped, boys.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
122 yards after contact by the Ohio RB stood out big time. Only one of those runs was over 25 yards too so it was all on chunk plays, not one or two long runs.
The s cuse coach is calling out players to be more physically at point of attack.

With best lb out, that could entail some bad technique ( gt 20,22,22 anyone ) on J Haynes which will result in "whoops where did he go"

Big game for both defense.