Thoughts on Syracuse

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Give McCord time and have him hit number 19 in full stride and you will have plenty to be scared about. DJ was a mobile quarterback of sorts but I would much rather have McCord. That guy puts the ball right on the money IF he has time to see the field. They would run short crossing patterns in the middle and have a back out in the flats as a third option but this guy will go for the jugular with deep passes at the drop of a hat. He is not afraid to let it rip.

Which is why our pressure has to get home, I think our CBs can cover for a couple seconds. A fast qb who can evade our a rush will get 10 yards a clip on our pressure packages.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Went and watched the highlights and looked through the stats from their game against Ohio. The Syracuse defense is bad. Ohio lost, like someone else mentioned, because they kicked FGs in the red zone. We should put up 500 yards on this defense and score 35+. If our defense can make a few stops I think we can win, but it should be a shoot out.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Looked to me like he has two or more good receivers.
Hard to judge against Ohio's secondary, but he definitely put some into some tight windows. There was a big play where Syracuse went into max protect and sent out 3 receivers, Ohio rushed 6. Somehow 5 secondary players lost one of the 3 for a big gain over the middle. Seems like Ohio may not have the best secondary.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
It wouldn't surprise me to see Cuse sell out to stop our run game. HK needs to be sharp and not turn the ball over and we need to create a few turnovers. McCord is probably as good as Carson Beck but does not as great of supporting cast.
I think this is the beauty of our offense. If you're going to sell out to stop the run we've got some really good speed and ability on the outside. Our game plan against Georgia State was the same as FSU - RUN THE BAWWWWWLLLLLL! But when they started bringing numbers up to the line we hit them really hard with Rutherford, Singleton, Boyd, Lane, etc. I do think the week spot on our team is downfield passing - I just don't think King is very accurate in the long game. But I don't think you can stop the run and the intermediate passing game at the same time and we've looked pretty good in both.

We'll see how the game goes, but if I'm Syracuse I probably want King to beat me with his arm. Last year he was hit or miss when teams did that to us; based on the last two games I feel like he's making MUCH better decisions and I feel like his throws are better. It wouldn't surprise me if Syracuse made King win the game through the air; it also wouldn't surprise me if he came through with a monster performance and won it for us.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
They look extremely susceptible to the counter on tape.

Which is what, 30% of our offense?

I’ve been completely wrong a lot in my CFB fandom, but it’s gonna have to happen again for us to put up fewer than 200 rushing / 400 total in this game.

dcall

Jolly Good Fellow
Their run D is atrocious, Ohio's backfield doesn't know how to play zone, and we owe them one after the last two times we played them. I know we won last year but it was a little embarrassing without them having a QB.

slugboy

Staff member
If Ga State can find holes in our coverage, so can Syracuse. We have a lot to clean up before Saturday.

I think we have good staff and players, but it’ll be tough.

Syracuse’s coach Fran Brown (who used to be at UGA) was complimentary of a lot of our players and our staff.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
I haven't heard it mentioned much but the former Tennessee DB Warren Burrell seems to be solid - even a lockdown type of player. Will certainly need him at Cuse
I haven’t been staring at him every play but I haven’t seen him blatantly miss a coverage or tackle, and I’ve seen him be VERY physical getting off blocks. We’ll see what our CB’s are made of this week but I think he’s our best overall DB.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Hey folks, not a lot of time to put together a thoughtful post. I have emergency medical stuff going on with family, and so this is a quick stream of consciousness before I am consumed with real life again.

My hope: GT wins 223-0. Too much chirping from Syracuse fans due to grabbing a QB and a DE in the portal.

My keys to the game:
  • Turnovers and special teams. We lose these, we lose. We remain even (or better), advantage GT. Honestly, I think you can stop here. Folks have heard me say this many times before. In coin flip games, this often proves to be the difference.
  • Next most important to me is our ability to get pressure on defense. We don't need to get home and I'm not that concerned if we need to blitz. We just cannot allow slow developing routes to unfold, which were huge for them vs Ohio. Safe to say our DL is better than Ohio's. But will we look more like the FSU game or the Ga State game? Cuse will punch it in if they get to the goal line. If we win this battle, we win.
  • Don't underestimate RB LeQuint Allen. I love me some Jamal Haynes, and Allen is every bit as good if not better. Like Kng & Haynes, McCord & Allen were preseason Maxwell Award watch list guys for a reason. Allen can be a workhorse if they want to run the ball, and he's dynamic on screens.
  • #19 TE/WR Gadsden may be the best player and NFL prospect on the field Saturday. NFL blood line, so not surprising. He is built like Darren Waller - slightly slower - but far more developed as a straight ball player than Waller was in college. There are other good WR. Pena is really solid.
  • I mentioned in another thread earlier this week that LB Wax is out. Not only is he their best defensive player, but he was also green dot LB. They have to transition that this week. Let's hope for some kinks in the command line.
A few other things:
  • Timing of the game is an advantage to 'Cuse. They only put one game on tape. They've traveled nowhere, whereas we've globetrotted. To me this was always the trap game, not Ga State.
  • Dwight Freeney jersey retirement is planned for Saturday. Neat thing. He was part of the last consistent string of good 'Cuse teams before they made one of the worst hires in College Football history (look up Greg Robinson aka Gerg).
  • If you want to anger a 'Cuse fan, tell them with a straight face that Kyle Efford is the greatest #44 to ever grace the field in Syracuse.

There are other things that I wanted to share that just aren't coming to mind. Happy to answer questions as time permits. Go Jackets!

CEB

Helluva Engineer
  • If you want to anger a 'Cuse fan, tell them with a straight face that Kyle Efford is the greatest #44 to ever grace the field in Syracuse.
Let’s not make them THAT mad…
At least not before kickoff

Great post. Thanks for the insight.

Hopefully our #11 makes them long for a couple of their #44s

ETA- I hope medical issues are not serious, but are swiftly and effectively addressed regardless

Last edited:

Poodletop

Jolly Good Fellow
Grew up near Syracuse, and yeah the fans there can get a little porky when they think they have a good team. But I’m thinking if the Ohio Bobcats can run for 250+ and total 400+ we can do at least as well, maybe approach 500.

I haven’t been up there in years but I understand that there’s a place called Dinosaur BBQ that’s supposed to be pretty good.🤷🏻‍♂️

And it really is pretty country up there, especially in the fall.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Hey folks, not a lot of time to put together a thoughtful post. I have emergency medical stuff going on with family, and so this is a quick stream of consciousness before I am consumed with real life again.

My hope: GT wins 223-0. Too much chirping from Syracuse fans due to grabbing a QB and a DE in the portal.

My keys to the game:
  • Turnovers and special teams. We lose these, we lose. We remain even (or better), advantage GT. Honestly, I think you can stop here. Folks have heard me say this many times before. In coin flip games, this often proves to be the difference.
  • Next most important to me is our ability to get pressure on defense. We don't need to get home and I'm not that concerned if we need to blitz. We just cannot allow slow developing routes to unfold, which were huge for them vs Ohio. Safe to say our DL is better than Ohio's. But will we look more like the FSU game or the Ga State game? Cuse will punch it in if they get to the goal line. If we win this battle, we win.
  • Don't underestimate RB LeQuint Allen. I love me some Jamal Haynes, and Allen is every bit as good if not better. Like Kng & Haynes, McCord & Allen were preseason Maxwell Award watch list guys for a reason. Allen can be a workhorse if they want to run the ball, and he's dynamic on screens.
  • #19 TE/WR Gadsden may be the best player and NFL prospect on the field Saturday. NFL blood line, so not surprising. He is built like Darren Waller - slightly slower - but far more developed as a straight ball player than Waller was in college. There are other good WR. Pena is really solid.
  • I mentioned in another thread earlier this week that LB Wax is out. Not only is he their best defensive player, but he was also green dot LB. They have to transition that this week. Let's hope for some kinks in the command line.
A few other things:
  • Timing of the game is an advantage to 'Cuse. They only put one game on tape. They've traveled nowhere, whereas we've globetrotted. To me this was always the trap game, not Ga State.
  • Dwight Freeney jersey retirement is planned for Saturday. Neat thing. He was part of the last consistent string of good 'Cuse teams before they made one of the worst hires in College Football history (look up Greg Robinson aka Gerg).

There are other things that I wanted to share that just aren't coming to mind. Happy to answer questions as time permits. Go Jackets!
Great post! May God give you great doctors and medical staff, guidance, healing, and peace during this family emergency medical situation.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Which is why our pressure has to get home, I think our CBs can cover for a couple seconds. A fast qb who can evade our a rush will get 10 yards a clip on our pressure packages.
Well, to be fair. Syracuse has a passel of tall fast receivers who Ohio struggled to cover. It was a huge mismatch all the way around. That said, number 2 for Ohio Tyus III rushed for over 200 yards and made it look pretty easy consistently beating Syracuse defenders to the corner and breaking tackles all game long. After watching the second half, McCord is the real deal as long as he is not pressured. This game will be decided, as someone else has already posted by our edge rushers and offensive line. Run the ball and apply pressure on McCord consistently and we will win. Try to cover receivers and play soft and we will lose. It is that simple.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I think this is the beauty of our offense. If you're going to sell out to stop the run we've got some really good speed and ability on the outside. Our game plan against Georgia State was the same as FSU - RUN THE BAWWWWWLLLLLL! But when they started bringing numbers up to the line we hit them really hard with Rutherford, Singleton, Boyd, Lane, etc. I do think the week spot on our team is downfield passing - I just don't think King is very accurate in the long game. But I don't think you can stop the run and the intermediate passing game at the same time and we've looked pretty good in both.

We'll see how the game goes, but if I'm Syracuse I probably want King to beat me with his arm. Last year he was hit or miss when teams did that to us; based on the last two games I feel like he's making MUCH better decisions and I feel like his throws are better. It wouldn't surprise me if Syracuse made King win the game through the air; it also wouldn't surprise me if he came through with a monster performance and won it for us.
I agree with your statement about Syracuse. If they are smart, they will make King beat them with his arm. Syracuse must be smart with the ball and keep McCord clean. If he is getting rocked, they will lose. I was sort of impressed with the Orange until I saw the obvious mismatches with Ohio's defense vs. Syracuse offense. That was where you could see the physical differences between the Power Four program and a solid MAC program.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer

My keys to the game:
A few other things:

Hope that you get the family's medical stuff successfully straightened out, that is much more important than a game. Thank you for taking the time to do a write up despite real life's stresses and strains. Go Jackets!