Thoughts on fan-less games

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah sure. Better than no season at all, right?

Maybe they can find a way to get us band music too? Like the end of horse, but all game long.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
NASCAR's plan to play. Here is some of the measures they are taking to protect participants, officials, etc. Some of this is NASCAR specific; but much of this sounds like doable best practices for any fanless event. Hope it works smoothly and other pro sports follow quickly.

After consultation with various medical and health officials at local, state and national levels, this is what NASCAR is planning for team members, drivers and others working upcoming races:

• Anyone who will work at the track is being asked to self-monitor for five days for symptoms before the event.
  • Each person working at the track must fill out a questionnaire on their health and go through a temperature screening check.
  • If there are concerns based on a person’s temperature, they will go through additional screening that will include monitoring heart rate and oxygenation.
  • There also will be additional screening for essential personnel.
  • Temperature checks will be done randomly throughout the event. Symptomatic patients will be removed from the event and given medical care if needed.
  • Everyone going into the infield must wear cloth masks as they move about.
  • Cup haulers will be spread out in the infield for social distancing among teams. Driver motorcoaches also will be spread out to keep competitors away from each other.
  • There will be one-way walkways to further promote social distancing.
  • On pit road, over-the-wall crew members must have a fireproof sock mask that will go from their nose down to below their chin or use a face screen from above their eyes to below their chin.
  • Spotters will be spread out in the empty stands, all at least 6 feet away from each other.
  • After the race, NASCAR will stagger the exit of crews to maintain social distancing.
  • Because COVID-19 tests remain in limited supply, NASCAR states those tests should be targeted for people most in need.
  • NASCAR recommends that crew members who are at the track not work in the race shop between events.
  • NASCAR also asks all participants to keep a log of who they’ve interacted with throughout the course of a day in case they later have a positive test. That way, those who have come in direct exposure can be contacted and asked to isolate for 14 days.
https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2020/0...-planned-return-to-racing-comes-with-a-twist/

Milwaukee

Banned
Listening to sports radio over the weekend they had someone on speaking about this and how they can absolutely tweak comings and goings in the entrances and exits, stagger concessions and restroom visits (yes there will always be emergencies). We are extremely smart as humans, this “can’t do” attitude in regards to the sporting world is extremely embarrassing. We can figure this out, and thankfully professionals much smarter than myself are the ones that will be implementing it ;)
Because if I had my way we’d be business as usual 100%.

Piggybacking off this again:

Miami Dolphins did announce their plan for staggered entrances and exits for the season, and they are mulling over allowing 15k fans into the games (65k capacity). It’s still a fluid situation but I love seeing people move forward and not standing still on this.

Piggybacking off this again:

Miami Dolphins did announce their plan for staggered entrances and exits for the season, and they are mulling over allowing 15k fans into the games (65k capacity). It’s still a fluid situation but I love seeing people move forward and not standing still on this.
Not sure of the exact number of season tickets sold, but we could limit attendance at games to season-ticket holders, and have some kind of lottery for the students and probably be able to spread out all of those people in BDS so as to mostly continue social distancing in the stadium. That would mean moving the ND game back to BDS probably, but I think that would be good for Tech. And it would obviously mean a massive re-ticketing effort prior to the season in order to spread everyone out, but what else do those people have to do right now anyway? LOL

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
My guess is our president is in favor of games.
20200504_154611.jpg

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Not sure of the exact number of season tickets sold, but we could limit attendance at games to season-ticket holders, and have some kind of lottery for the students and probably be able to spread out all of those people in BDS so as to mostly continue social distancing in the stadium. That would mean moving the ND game back to BDS probably, but I think that would be good for Tech. And it would obviously mean a massive re-ticketing effort prior to the season in order to spread everyone out, but what else do those people have to do right now anyway? LOL
I'm wanting to say it is between 18,000 and 22,000 but would guess it's not over 15,000 to far this season. But now 90% will not sit in their same seats.

Jmonty71

Banned
6 feet gaps between fans would mean some serious "air high fives"...... It just would not be the same, however................

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I recently heard a UGA guy say that professional teams, college team and even high school teams were contacting GT to learn how to play games without fans in the stadium. I know it’s stupid, but he did get some chuckles from the crowd.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer

Lol I'd assume they would have the season without fans and beg season ticket holders to just give the cost of tickets as a donation and maybe in return gets some cheap swag. Then on top ask for more money in exchange for slightly less cheaper swag.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I recently heard a UGA guy say that professional teams, college team and even high school teams were contacting GT to learn how to play games without fans in the stadium. I know it’s stupid, but he did get some chuckles from the crowd.
Would be a lot funnier if that hadn’t been circulating since February. But we all know Gaggers aren’t original

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Agree. Anyone that got sick would turn around and sue the NCAA or school, for hosting the game.
I have been seeing this a lot. The notion of holding liable the "venue" should someone get sick after attending an event there. I am NOT a lawyer; but I'd love a legal opinion on this. Obviously... anyone can sue anyone for anything; but would they win? How could you prove you contracted the virus at a specific place/time? Would that not be the burden of proof. ...additionally, wouldn't your ticket have all kind so legal disclaimers on it to further cover the venue... the universities in the case of college sports? By now... people understand the risks of being in close proximity to other humans and winning such a suit after willfully attending a game under these circumstances seems crazy to me.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I have been seeing this a lot. The notion of holding liable the "venue" should someone get sick after attending an event there. I am NOT a lawyer; but I'd love a legal opinion on this. Obviously... anyone can sue anyone for anything; but would they win? How could you prove you contracted the virus at a specific place/time? Would that not be the burden of proof. ...additionally, wouldn't your ticket have all kind so legal disclaimers on it to further cover the venue... the universities in the case of college sports? By now... people understand the risks of being in close proximity to other humans and winning such a suit after willfully attending a game under these circumstances seems crazy to me.
It wouldn't be the idea of you contracted it there. It could be a lawsuit of many things. Lack of proper forced distancing. Lack of certain restrictions in the bathrooms for seperation. There are different angles to sue the NCAA/individual school.

I'll say without of doubt if the NFL/MLB doesn't play with fans, the NCAA sure as hell won't play with fans.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
It wouldn't be the idea of you contracted it there. It could be a lawsuit of many things. Lack of proper forced distancing. Lack of certain restrictions in the bathrooms for seperation. There are different angles to sue the NCAA/individual school.

I'll say without of doubt if the NFL/MLB doesn't play with fans, the NCAA sure as hell won't play with fans.

And I am going to nail WalMart, Home Depot, Publix, Kroger, Chevron, Shell and probably a few others for the same reasons.

Lawyers please apply.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
And I am going to nail WalMart, Home Depot, Publix, Kroger, Chevron, Shell and probably a few others for the same reasons.

Lawyers please apply.
I am not a lawyer, but have had experience with liability lawsuits. First, having someone sign a waiver saying they understand the risks involved in an activity, like you do when you register for a 10K race, is far, far better protection than putting a declaration on the back of a ticket. Second, neither protects you from claims that you were negligent in executing the product or service you sold.

It could be argued that knowing the virus was highly transmissable and that seating recommendations were for 6 feet of separation, you did not enforce those limits at the stadium, you could be held liable. I do not believe the claimant would have to prove they were infected at the game, just that it was likely given your negligence.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I am not a lawyer, but have had experience with liability lawsuits. First, having someone sign a waiver saying they understand the risks involved in an activity, like you do when you register for a 10K race, is far, far better protection than putting a declaration on the back of a ticket. Second, neither protects you from claims that you were negligent in executing the product or service you sold.

It could be argued that knowing the virus was highly transmissable and that seating recommendations were for 6 feet of separation, you did not enforce those limits at the stadium, you could be held liable. I do not believe the claimant would have to prove they were infected at the game, just that it was likely given your negligence.
Exactly. Too many little nuances. You'd have to install temporary guard rails per area where each family would sit, also release the stadium in phases while also remaining 6 ft apart.

These colleges don't have the assets of places like Walmart, Kroger, target, publix. A few bad lawsuits and the programs are shot.

Walmart literally hands money out like trick or treat candy to petty lawsuits to shut people up.

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
Exactly. Too many little nuances. You'd have to install temporary guard rails per area where each family would sit, also release the stadium in phases while also remaining 6 ft apart.

These colleges don't have the assets of places like Walmart, Kroger, target, publix. A few bad lawsuits and the programs are shot.

Walmart literally hands money out like trick or treat candy to petty lawsuits to shut people up.

Ok. Point me in the direction of all the petty lawsuits for Walmart employees dying of covid that Walmart handed money to to shut them up. Or any business, big or small, essential or non-essential.

The liability argument is pretty dumb. No businesses would be open at all right now. Pretty pointless to speculate since the entire Outlook changes week-to-week and in 4 months herd immunity is going to look completely different.