Thoughts on fan-less games

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
If students are back in the fall, perhaps they could play games with limited seating, so fans could stay spread out. Surely, the season will be delayed and possibly shortened.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
If students are back in the fall, perhaps they could play games with limited seating, so fans could stay spread out. Surely, the season will be delayed and possibly shortened.
And who decides which season ticket holders get to come . And in a Stadium that only holds 55,000 to keep people 6 foot apart sides front and back what would you have 15,000 ? And I'm sure the parents of the players want to come. This would be a nightmare better to play without fans.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
And who decides which season ticket holders get to come . And in a Stadium that only holds 55,000 to keep people 6 foot apart sides front and back what would you have 15,000 ? And I'm sure the parents of the players want to come. This would be a nightmare better to play without fans.

I personally definitely don’t think that “social distancing”/spacing could be done in a stadium and not cause way more problems than it solves. I think it’s either with fans as usual, or (more than likely) no fans at all. I think any in-between is a logistical nightmare.

Milwaukee

Banned
I personally definitely don’t think that “social distancing”/spacing could be done in a stadium and not cause way more problems than it solves. I think it’s either with fans as usual, or (more than likely) no fans at all. I think any in-between is a logistical nightmare.

Listening to sports radio over the weekend they had someone on speaking about this and how they can absolutely tweak comings and goings in the entrances and exits, stagger concessions and restroom visits (yes there will always be emergencies). We are extremely smart as humans, this “can’t do” attitude in regards to the sporting world is extremely embarrassing. We can figure this out, and thankfully professionals much smarter than myself are the ones that will be implementing it ;)
Because if I had my way we’d be business as usual 100%.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Listening to sports radio over the weekend they had someone on speaking about this and how they can absolutely tweak comings and goings in the entrances and exits, stagger concessions and restroom visits (yes there will always be emergencies). We are extremely smart as humans, this “can’t do” attitude in regards to the sporting world is extremely embarrassing. We can figure this out, and thankfully professionals much smarter than myself are the ones that will be implementing it ;)

Unfortunately I see it differently. I operate a golf course and have been open this entire time, and have been doing so for 25+ years. I see how little common sense the public can have, and see how much we have to protect people from themselves all the time. Yes, it can be done, but I don’t know if everyone will want to pay the cost of all the additional measures and even staffing levels to do so.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I can tell you that if you're a season ticketholder that has wanted to upgrade, do it now. There’s good sections available. Obviously there’s not public numbers to fling around but reps are reaching out to those that have expressed interest. I think there’s been alot of no renewals this year.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
We are gonna have a season with fans.
Not, I think, Tech fans. As has been pointed out here before several times, the home crowd at Tech games is made up largely of geezers. I doubt seriously if the bulk of them will turn up until we have a vaccine; I know for sure that I won't. I'll miss Tech football badly, but not ending-up-in-a-hospital-choking-to-death badly.

I suppose the whippersnappers can go if they are willing to face the risk. But … all this assumes that Tech will be open in the fall. That's still up in the air. If the virus starts to re-ignite with a vengeance in September, all the colleges will remain closed.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I posted this earlier, but college football will not happen unless students are back on campus. That is still very much uncertain right now. NC is the state to watch because our governor is much more cautious than Georgia's. Missing four teams in the ACC could slam the door on conference games. And, he could prevent Duke and Wake by limiting the size of crowds.

NC has six Div I teams, so this is not a trivial issue.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Most of the posters here are correct. College football will be back if:
  • the pros have preceded them and demonstrated that games can be played in front of live audiences
  • school is back in session
Without those two being in place, then I have my doubts. I don't think it is necessary that a vaccine be in place (one won't be by the Fall) but do think the decision might hinge on whether a treatment is in place to mitigate the effects of this virus. If you can take some pills and this thing acts more like a nasty cold, then there will be sports back by the Fall...

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
You would be opening a gigantic can of worms as far as lawsuits are concerned. The litigious nature of our society does not lend itself well to those that will want to be paid for those employers that expose/throw them to the “bug”.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Like your lack of faith in the free enterprise system, you faith in your fellow man is shocking.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Designate which half, or quarter, season ticket holders can attend.

Some attend first half on Fridays, the other half Saturday.

Change unis for Saturday if things look bleak.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I am in no way recommending this, nor do I really think it would work, especially at schools with much larger fan-bases, but the thought keeps crossing my mind that we could limit attendance to season ticket holders only ... no single game ticket holders, no visiting fans.
I love the idea of no visiting fans but if we have 22,000 season tickets plus player's parents how can you keep them 6 foot apart ? Old people like me like their seats and I don't want to move and sit in the sun all day.

I love the idea of no visiting fans but if we have 22,000 season tickets plus player's parents how can you keep them 6 foot apart ? Old people like me like their seats and I don't want to move and sit in the sun all day.
I agree, and that's why I said I didn't think it would work. But it would definitely be great if we could refuse to admit opposing fans, even if the other schools did the same.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I agree, and that's why I said I didn't think it would work. But it would definitely be great if we could refuse to admit opposing fans, even if the other schools did the same.

Well, if this came to pass we would definitely find out who among us is giving our tickets away to the enemy; or how many season tickets the enemy is buying.