This WIN is a sneak peek of what CGC has in mind

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I agree with you in that I did not like the 3 qb rotation. I also think if we had stuck with Oliver early we would have beaten the Citadel as well.

By no means do I not think they could’ve handled the qb situation better. Quite the opposite. But I do have to admit, I do not have near the information they did to make the decision. In their defense, I think their hesitation with Oliver being “the guy” is that he can’t do the things that Graham can to open the offense up. I personally had much higher hopes for Johnson and was hoping he was going to be the guy going into the season, but that didn’t pan out.

I also think that they got stuck between wanting to show what the new offense would look like and purely trying to win (in the Citadel game) and it backfired. It was obvious that Oliver needed to finish that game as the qb. If we got that right and won that game, this whole forum would be much different right now.

Outside of the Citadel game though, it’s hard for me to critique their QB usage (even though I would’ve liked to have seen Graham earlier in the Clemson game).

Having one guy leads to continuity and we are seeing that. I’m excited to watch the continued progression!

@Lee I like the cut of your jib.

@supersize, in my opinion the coaches needed to see live reps to get to JG being the guy at QB. We see TO, as a stud, struggling to find touches as a featured skill player because it becomes exponentially harder to get a guy the ball when they aren’t the QB touching it almost every snap. Same problem JPMason and NCottrell are having.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Guess we will have to put an asterisk on the 2008 GT/Clemson game too. Our kicker threw a TD that game and we only won by 3.

Oh, we also had a punt return for a TD as well. Some people just want to look for something to complain about. I’m going to enjoy the win!

Morgan Burnett also had a pick 6 against uga in 08. I loved Paul Johnson more than anyone. I wanted him to be our coach when I watched him run across the field after beating Notre dame but damn some of these guys are over the top. I just want to win

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
We had 345 yards of offense. I’m thrilled we won, but the idea that the offense was somehow much improved is not close to accurate. We had nine possessions, six of which ended with a punt, another ended with a turnover, and another ended with a fake punt. In 60:00 of regulation, the offense reached its destination one time.

If there was improvement, it was shown in the 16 play drive and the 14 play drive. Ironically, neither of those drives ended with points.

:rolleyes:

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
One thing that jumped at me as great coaching and the kind of stuff I’ve been asking for is on one quick pass play in the second half we had our linemen cut block. The play is already designed to help the OL as a quick pass, but the addition of the cut blocking put the OL in an even better position by having them do something these guys are more comfortable with from the previous system. Little things like that can help make the transition easier.

That said, I think we were called for a hold on the play. lol

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
So we have more line talent than Miami but less than everyone else we play the rest of the year and next year and including Miami?

You must think today was a fluke win?
We have much less line talent than Miami. There was a reason they were 18 point favorites. We won because we played harder, we coached better and because they missed 3 chip shot FGs. We will not win a lot of games until we significantly upgrade the line talent.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We have much less line talent than Miami. There was a reason they were 18 point favorites. We won because we played harder, we coached better and because they missed 3 chip shot FGs. We will not win a lot of games until we significantly upgrade the line talent.
Not buying. We were 18 point dogs because we have played like garbage and were 1-5 with zero good wins. Mostly because of sub par coaching thus far.

We don’t have elite talent on either los. But we have talent to compete against Temple, Citadel, and every team in the coastal.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
So in year zero, the coaches with spring practice and pre-season practice behind them, don't know what we HAVE NOW ??? Sorry, not buying that at all.

You don’t have to, but I do believe it took some time to make this choice. The coaching staff had to know guys who had been MAJOR contributors or slotted to be were going to all of a sudden get significantly less snaps than expected. Read: TO, NC, LJ and others.

The coaches had to show that they were evaluating the talent of the roster against where they were trying to go to. It is a delicate balance. The reality is that we have pulled off a major shift of play time and responsibility against the bench without any apparent loss of the locker room. That’s worth noting and understanding.

I’m not certain the coaches didn’t know this was where they wanted to end up (player-wise) but I am happy they got here how we did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
it’s also year 1. If it were really year zero the win today wouldn’t count would it?

I can agree with you here for sure. Did CGC say this was year zero at some point or is that something just being said here?

I’m a believer in the direction we’re heading and agree this is a big transition, but it’s still year one. 10 years from now (hopefully) when they show his record at GT, this will be included.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I can agree with you here for sure. Did CGC say this was year zero at some point or is that something just being said here?

I’m a believer in the direction we’re heading and agree this is a big transition, but it’s still year one. 10 years from now (hopefully) when they show his record at GT, this will be included.
#1 I’m glad we won but I’m always happy when we win.

#2 We seemed disciplined. That’s a sign of a well coached Team- win, lose or tie (for you oldsters).

#3 Yesterday’s offensive game plan to transition from what we had to what we got now seemed solid, what I believed we should have been doing from the get go.

This all being said, this win was not a “must win” but we really needed a win. For the kids giving it their all with results that had been disappointing, for the coaching staff that they can effectively plan a game & get the kids to execute, for many like myself are watching for signs of they have “it” or not, for recruiting to combat the negative recruiting of having a 1 in the win column coupled with that disaster of a game, etc.

Yeah we some breaks, but the staff got the kids in position to win & gave them a game plan within their capabilities with the newness we’ve been looking for sprinkled in. They minimized our weaknesses & maximized our strengths. That put us in position to win. You can’t get lucky at the end of a game if you’re 28 pts behind.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
So in year zero, the coaches with spring practice and pre-season practice behind them, don't know what we HAVE NOW ??? Sorry, not buying that at all.

But there's more to it than that. What they knew after pre-season was that James Graham was the guy they wanted to develop but he wasn't ready, and so they eased him into it until he was. Now, to your point that doesn't explain why we played three QB's, but it does explain why we played two.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'm impressed with our kids, they left it all on the field and it paid off. They are setting the mindset and culture for our future in my opinion, and I think they understand that. That could be this teams legacy that will last a long time.

I love the effort we saw out there. Did you see the hit Charlie Thomas put on that guy in Miami's first play in overtime? He really sacrificed his body, laid it all on the line.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Not buying. We were 18 point dogs because we have played like garbage and were 1-5 with zero good wins. Mostly because of sub par coaching thus far.

We don’t have elite talent on either los. But we have talent to compete against Temple, Citadel, and every team in the coastal.
Nope, we were 18point underdogs because of our recruiting and retention over the past 4 years.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This year and next year are simply foundation years for Collins. He is building a program not a week to week team. There’s a huge difference. Until we get the OLine and DLine recruited we’ll win some and lose a lot. If you haven’t figured that out by now you’ll be extremely frustrated the next 18 months. Luckily, we play in a division that gives us a chance to win from time to time during these foundation years, but don’t get that confused with being able to actually compete with programs that can rotate in 4 star bodies. I’m excited because Collins will methodically implement his program and get us to the level where we can compete week after week, year after year. That’s where we are headed.