This WIN is a sneak peek of what CGC has in mind

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
This team probably has a couple more wins ahead of it this season. May not make a bowl this year, but still something positive to build off for next year. Kentucky and UGA are scoreless right now near the end of the 2nd. I still say, if Tech can hang around with the Dawgs and keep the game close or tied at the half, who knows...?!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
By far the best game Pnut has called. Saw what was working and stuck with it. Like you said, still need to develop some pass blocking, but if they can start to run the RPO out of the 2 back set that will be dangerous. With Camp and Brown running some sort of quick slant or mesh concept, and Griffin and Mason in the backfield, the offense could turn out to be really good. I liked the use of speed options, and even a couple of modified wishbone sets. But, it all looks good and pretty when it works. When it doesn’t work, well... we’ve seen what happens.
We could use a really good TE, too.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I saw better game day decision making/coaching today.
One quarterback, check.
A solid game plan based on player strengths, check.
Sticking with what's working, check.
Never give up by players, check.
Progress, check.

I really hope this springboards us. A little more pet in the step at practice. It reminds of a line from Bull Durham: "I really love winning, man... You know better than losin'?"

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
3 missed chippies.
And we had one made that was nixed during to a penalty. Plus more of the same penalties we have seen.

Both teams made mistakes. But I think it is telling that while I was checking out the Miami boards, they gave us credit for playing with heart, wanting it more, and coming to win. Heck, even the announcers saw it and said as much. The game could have gone either way with penalties and mistakes. We took it for ourselves.

The players have bought in and haven't given up.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
You realize vince Lombardi, Bobby Dodd, Bear Bryant, John McKay, Darrell Royal, Bobby Ross, Nick Saban, Frank Beamer, Bobby Bowden, Jimmy Johnson, Frank broyles and many others took much longer to “figure out what they had “ than this don’t you?

And I dispute we have “figured out” anything - except how to get a bunch of kids to give great effort on every play in every game like they have so far.

Since 1961 I have never once seen a GT team give such great effort consistently given the Sr injuries / death of a leader / number of frosh playing/ system transformation / number of players in new positions than what we have this year.

We are taking gigantic baby, no teenager, steps that will pay huge dividends.

This was one game in a season of never quitting effort. That is what has been figured out.

JMO.

Tech teams usually play with grit and little quit in them. Have for a very long time. Glad to see some things don’t change.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
well, for starters, the guys playing today had several more games of real experience than they did post-Citadel......you can't compare Graham's poise vs Temple vs today. He's a more experienced QB...the WRs have more experience, so do the RBs, OL, etc.

Shouldn’t matter to those who excused Duke UNC Temple games as cupboard bare no talent on the team BS.

If they had no talent to compete prior to today they had no room to improve right?

Biggest improvement I saw with today’s game was third down conversions. Keep improving on this and more scoring should follow.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
We had 345 yards of offense. I’m thrilled we won, but the idea that the offense was somehow much improved is not close to accurate. We had nine possessions, six of which ended with a punt, another ended with a turnover, and another ended with a fake punt. In 60:00 of regulation, the offense reached its destination one time.

If there was improvement, it was shown in the 16 play drive and the 14 play drive. Ironically, neither of those drives ended with points.

You’re right. Putting up almost 3X Miami’s average yards given up on the ground, sustaining drives, winning the TOP, blocking better, Graham at 50% passing including some smart throw aways, young WRs emerging, Mason dominating, Griffin showing promise...etc... None of that is improvement because we didn’t score as many points as you would have liked.
upload_2019-10-19_20-25-21.png

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
And we had one made that was nixed during to a penalty. Plus more of the same penalties we have seen.

Both teams made mistakes. But I think it is telling that while I was checking out the Miami boards, they gave us credit for playing with heart, wanting it more, and coming to win. Heck, even the announcers saw it and said as much. The game could have gone either way with penalties and mistakes. We took it for ourselves.

The players have bought in and haven't given up.

Neither team gave up. Both played hard imo. What stands out about Tech doing so was playing like that while at 1-5. Most 1-5 teams pack it in. Our guys no. That’s a credit to players and staff.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
You’re right. Putting up almost 3X Miami’s average yards given up on the ground, sustaining drives, winning the TOP, blocking better, Graham at 50% passing including some smart throw aways, young WRs emerging, Mason dominating, Griffin showing promise...etc... None of that is improvement because we didn’t score as many points as you would have liked.
View attachment 7016

I think a lot of people are taking @JorgeJonas’ notice of the O negatives as an absolute statement there was no progress. I don’t think it’s at all clear that is what he stated or even hinted at.

Tech ran the ball better than anyone else has vs UM. That’s a big positive. 3rd down conversions were a big positive.

There is a ton to improve on still. I still don’t think the staff is doing a great job getting our O players in positions to succeed consistently. But we are young. Growing pains should be expected and we will make mistakes. Let’s just hope we see 2 steps forward for every step back rather than 2 steps back for every step forward.

Our guys proved they have P5 talent today. Our staff still needs to prove they belong. I still feel a lot better about our D staff than our O staff.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Really great to win, but our OLs and DLs are still a complete mismatch with Miami’s. We are going to have to recruit, recruit, recruit if we expect to ever win consistently.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I think a lot of people are taking @JorgeJonas’ notice of the O negatives as an absolute statement there was no progress. I don’t think it’s at all clear that is what he stated or even hinted at.

Tech ran the ball better than anyone else has vs UM. That’s a big positive. 3rd down conversions were a big positive.

There is a ton to improve on still. I still don’t think the staff is doing a great job getting our O players in positions to succeed consistently. But we are young. Growing pains should be expected and we will make mistakes. Let’s just hope we see 2 steps forward for every step back rather than 2 steps back for every step forward.

Our guys proved they have P5 talent today. Our staff still needs to prove they belong. I still feel a lot better about our D staff than our O staff.

I don’t think he or others understand what the word improvement mean. Improvement doesn’t mean that everything is fixed. It means that things are better than they were the week before and earlier in the year.

How anyone watching our offense today could say the offense isn’t improved or hint that it hasn’t because of points scored baffles me.

To your point that our staff isn’t putting guys in position to succeed consistently, how do you know this? There are things I can see and there are things I just don’t know. Some listed below.

I don’t know:

1. Enough about Oline play and the intricacies of our scheme to comment on that.
2. How ready Graham was after a shortened spring and Fall camp to start the season as QB1
3. What this team would look like if Graham had of not been hurt against the Citadel
4. What Graham’s grasp was of the playbook in his early work this season or even his first start.
5. Same above for our Oline

I do know:

1. Graham taking over has changed the whole feel of the offense.
2. The offense has looked better every game since Graham took over
3. The offense is developing legitimate balance since Graham took over
4. The offensive line has gotten better since Graham took over.
5. The running game has improved the last 3 weeks.

What do you see/know that leads you to believe we aren’t putting players in a position to succeed? I’ll add to stay within our new scheme and not running the old offense (not that you were going there, but someone might).

I’m not trying to be combative, I genuinely want to know if I’m missing something. I’m a baseball guy that stopped playing football my sophomore year in HS. I by no means have all the answers.

Lastly, I agree with your hope that we continue to take 2 steps forward. I would just add that our steps backward get smaller (or go away!)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don’t think he or others understand what the word improvement mean. Improvement doesn’t mean that everything is fixed. It means that things are better than they were the week before and earlier in the year.

How anyone watching our offense today could say the offense isn’t improved or hint that it hasn’t because of points scored baffles me.

To your point that our staff isn’t putting guys in position to succeed consistently, how do you know this? There are things I can see and there are things I just don’t know. Some listed below.

I don’t know:

1. Enough about Oline play and the intricacies of our scheme to comment on that.
2. How ready Graham was after a shortened spring and Fall camp to start the season as QB1
3. What this team would look like if Graham had of not been hurt against the Citadel
4. What Graham’s grasp was of the playbook in his early work this season or even his first start.
5. Same above for our Oline

I do know:

1. Graham taking over has changed the whole feel of the offense.
2. The offense has looked better every game since Graham took over
3. The offense is developing legitimate balance since Graham took over
4. The offensive line has gotten better since Graham took over.
5. The running game has improved the last 3 weeks.

What do you see/know that leads you to believe we aren’t putting players in a position to succeed? I’ll add to stay within our new scheme and not running the old offense (not that you were going there, but someone might).

I’m not trying to be combative, I genuinely want to know if I’m missing something. I’m a baseball guy that stopped playing football my sophomore year in HS. I by no means have all the answers.

Lastly, I agree with your hope that we continue to take 2 steps forward. I would just add that our steps backward get smaller (or go away!)

There are just way too many negative plays happening. That’s my primary beef and one game with some marginal improvements doesn’t change it yet. More marginal improvements come in the next couple of games and my opinion will be subject to change.