This team will surprise some

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
Duke won it the year before as okafor,tyus Jones and justice Winslow took a year to mature,Kentucky,Kentucky,Kentucky,Kentucky...

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
There were no one and done players on any of the teams in the Final Four last year. All were composed primarily with upper classmen. I disagree that there are a lot of teams built around 5* freshmen.
...btw your making my point lol...veteran teams win,hence us competing this year.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I think Josh has the best opportunity to be a very good player as well.

But does he project better than MGH? I say no. And for as good as MGH was he was not able to get GT over the hump and unfortunately never made the dance.

Okogies frosh #s will not be better than MGHs frosh numbers.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Honestly i'm not nearly as high on Josh as others.

first he still isn't playing after surgury. So we don't even know if he will really be 100%.
Second he is not really a scorer - watch him play, he doesn't really look to score - he looks to take care of the ball and get it to someone else. I see 6-8 ppg for him. He has just never been a very aggressive scorer

Also based on some early reports from practices i am very concerned about whether the light is going to come on for Tadric.

I think most of the PPG listed above feel too high for the guys we have.

Finally, the idea that this is a really experienced team is one of those technically true but not really statements. We do have 5 SR. But look at who they are.
Q has played for 3 seasons, but always been a role player.
Heath and heyward have both started at times, but have shown to not really be ACC level talents and only played because there was no one else. MGH had to play PG last year because neither was good enough.
The 2 transfers were both non starters at a lower level - they certainly aren't going to be start level guys at the ACC level.
Other than Q none have played alot of minutes in ACC games

Those mid major teams you talk about are generally players that have played a ton of minutes together and usually have multiple good shooters. We only have 2 players that have shown any ability to shoot from range at the college level so far and that is Q and McCormick.

I also expect this team to play much faster - but unfortunately that is also likely to lead to more blowout losses. Generally the more possessions you give to a more talented team, the more likely they will be to win as you are giving them more opportunities to use that talent.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Honestly i'm not nearly as high on Josh as others.

first he still isn't playing after surgury. So we don't even know if he will really be 100%.
Second he is not really a scorer - watch him play, he doesn't really look to score - he looks to take care of the ball and get it to someone else. I see 6-8 ppg for him. He has just never been a very aggressive scorer

Also based on some early reports from practices i am very concerned about whether the light is going to come on for Tadric.

I think most of the PPG listed above feel too high for the guys we have.

Finally, the idea that this is a really experienced team is one of those technically true but not really statements. We do have 5 SR. But look at who they are.
Q has played for 3 seasons, but always been a role player.
Heath and heyward have both started at times, but have shown to not really be ACC level talents and only played because there was no one else. MGH had to play PG last year because neither was good enough.
The 2 transfers were both non starters at a lower level - they certainly aren't going to be start level guys at the ACC level.
Other than Q none have played alot of minutes in ACC games

Those mid major teams you talk about are generally players that have played a ton of minutes together and usually have multiple good shooters. We only have 2 players that have shown any ability to shoot from range at the college level so far and that is Q and McCormick.

I also expect this team to play much faster - but unfortunately that is also likely to lead to more blowout losses. Generally the more possessions you give to a more talented team, the more likely they will be to win as you are giving them more opportunities to use that talent.
This states my view of the team perfectly. Add to that, three freshmen with promise.

Pastner made the primary goal of this season perfectly clear when he was announced as our new coach. He is looking to the future and stated plainly that this next season could be pretty bad.

I think we will see Lammers and Q and Tadric start most of the season. Heath could be the starting PG early, but we need Moore to get a ton of minutes up top before the ACC games begin. I expect to see Okogie and Mathews playing a lot of minutes. If Okogie is as good as some claim he could be a day one starter. But, patience will be required. We could have some pleasant surprises in the OOC games, but games against the top ACC teams could get ugly.

Last year I worried that Tadric was not always dialed in. If that has not changed, he could be sitting a lot by mid-season. Q will be inconsistent and we have to expect that. He may have some All-ACC nights and then disappear on others. Lammers is a solid role player. He will score within the offense, but may not create many points one on one.

At the end of the year we may see the team averaged about the same number of points as the last few years, but gave up a lot more. As worrisome as the offense is with so little returning in the way of scoring, our defense is the real problem. The young guys will not be ACC level defenders for a while, and Lammers is the only returnee who has shown any ability to defend. OK, maybe Corey has, but he is not likely to play much. We are in deep trouble if he does.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

I have seen those reports that we are going to play faster and they scare the gradu out of me. We don't have ACC level athletes. Not only are most of the ACC teams more talented they are also more athletic. Thinking we can run with UNC, Duke or even an NCSU is going to be just ridiculous.

I like the reports that we are going to make sure the ball movement is better this year (who didn't see that one being necessary o_O) but if we choose to run with the top half of the ACC that is an investment in playing style that is going to cost us multiple absolutely ridiculous lopsided losses.

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
Classic example of the ability our RETURNING talent has..https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=cxHcUVfb4DI This is vs. eventual National Champion Villanova...watch Heath,Tad and Q...and tell me if there's any noticeable difference talent wise between Heath/Q/Tad vs Brunson/Arcediacano(spelling),Jenkins in the first half.We lost this game because Mitchell,Jacobs and MGH were invisible early...we got down and never got it going again to the extent to make it a game.My point being is the players who played well in the first half keeping it competitive with the eventual National champions were our unsung returnees who haven't smacked anyone over the head with there production yet but are very capable and will have there opportunity to compete and surprise this upcoming season.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Classic example of the ability our RETURNING talent has..https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=cxHcUVfb4DI This is vs. eventual National Champion Villanova...watch Heath,Tad and Q...and tell me if there's any noticeable difference talent wise between Heath/Q/Tad vs Brunson/Arcediacano(spelling),Jenkins in the first half.We lost this game because Mitchell,Jacobs and MGH were invisible early...we got down and never got it going again to the extent to make it a game.My point being is the players who played well in the first half keeping it competitive with the eventual National champions were our unsung returnees who haven't smacked anyone over the head with there production yet but are very capable and will have there opportunity to compete and surprise this upcoming season.
I could not get the link to show what you described. Do I have watch the entire game?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
wc2fPoJ.gif

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

You can't take one half of one game and call it fact. You take the Georgia game from 2014 from Q and say "there! He's an all time great"

RIDICULOUS

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I can predict ppg all day...of players I've seen play at the college level...10-12 heath,15 tad,15-18 Q,12-15 Lammers...I'm sorry I baffled you...my expectations is that they play hard...I believe they'll surprise most...obviously you...watch the games.

o_O

Again.

I wish I could let these claims slide off my shoulders but they are just too radical to pass up.

If Jax gets up to 17 ppg + he would be the highest scorer ppg wise for this program going back to at least 08-09. The last 5 guys to score more than 15 a game:

MGH 16.7 15-16 (SR)
Adam Smith 15.0 15-16(SR)
Shump 17 10-11 (Jr)
Clinch 15.5 08-09 (sr)
Gani 15.1 08-09 (so)

So Tadric, who shoots 32% from the floor overall and 21% from deep while averaging less than 2 FTs per game is going to AT LEAST triple his career output, ppg wise, this season?o_O:rolleyes::cautious::bored::confused::meh::wacky::vomit:

Be polite. Pass to the right.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Sorry for a slight change in subject, but has anyone commented on how the Bobinski exit will impact Pastner? Bobinski was claiming that he was going to be intimately involved in supporting (hand holding) and keeping the young coach grounded. Again, sorry for the diversion, but I had not read any thoughts about this and I am just wondering if anyone has any idea on how Pastner might be reacting to the change in AD.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
o_O

Again.

I wish I could let these claims slide off my shoulders but they are just too radical to pass up.

If Jax gets up to 17 ppg + he would be the highest scorer ppg wise for this program going back to at least 08-09. The last 5 guys to score more than 15 a game:

MGH 16.7 15-16 (SR)
Adam Smith 15.0 15-16(SR)
Shump 17 10-11 (Jr)
Clinch 15.5 08-09 (sr)
Gani 15.1 08-09 (so)

So Tadric, who shoots 32% from the floor overall and 21% from deep while averaging less than 2 FTs per game is going to AT LEAST triple his career output, ppg wise, this season?o_O:rolleyes::cautious::bored::confused::meh::wacky::vomit:

Be polite. Pass to the right.
I'd agree with you, but...who else is going to score? I could easily see Tadric averaging 20 ppg, because he and Q are the only ones who will put up shots consistently (maybe the freshmen will feel unrestrained). That still doesn't mean they'll be good.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sorry for a slight change in subject, but has anyone commented on how the Bobinski exit will impact Pastner? Bobinski was claiming that he was going to be intimately involved in supporting (hand holding) and keeping the young coach grounded. Again, sorry for the diversion, but I had not read any thoughts about this and I am just wondering if anyone has any idea on how Pastner might be reacting to the change in AD.

I doubt it makes him feel better but I get the sense that Pastner is pretty good at staying positive and focusing on his job.

What I think it means is Josh has 4 yrs. The new AD is not tied to him. Gregory's buyout has 2 yrs, Hewitt 4. So after 4 yrs if he isn't winning big i think a new AD makes a change.

I'll also add that i am concerned that the same people who hired MBob also will hire his replacement.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck

Following is on the pay AJC site but Pastner seems optimistic that Peterson will get the right person in place.

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/co...rnallink_referralbox_free-to-premium-referral

I think they will have someone internally keep the seat warm while they search for a replacement. I don't know any of the Associate AD's but some may be viable replacement candidates. I'm sure during the transitional period, Pastner will be involved (along with other coaches).

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Following is on the pay AJC site but Pastner seems optimistic that Peterson will get the right person in place.

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/co...rnallink_referralbox_free-to-premium-referral

I think they will have someone internally keep the seat warm while they search for a replacement. I don't know any of the Associate AD's but some may be viable replacement candidates. I'm sure during the transitional period, Pastner will be involved (along with other coaches).
I am going out on a limb and predict Peterson will not be warming any seat in the Edge Center. But, I think the GTAA Board of Trustees will be keeping a close watch over everything. That is especially crucial given the timing of the change relative the tremendous weight the football season has on revenue. If I were a betting man, I would bet on Dr. Jud Ready taking a large role in the coming weeks. Maybe even being the seat warmer. He has closer ties to GT than anyone else on the board and is not in administration. I don't see how you could spend your entire academic life at Tech and not love the school. How much influence he has with Peterson is something I do not pretend to know.