This team will surprise some

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm good on his ability to get into the lane...he's got good body control...floaters...the pull up looked crisp late...I'm getting killed for overstating sub par talent but I think it's the #perfectswarm so to speak for guys like Heath,Q,Lammers and Tadric...tons of playing time,low expectations..us against the world mentality.I'm ready lol

alagold

Helluva Engineer
33, I'm glad you are optimistic however it will take a lot for this team to become a threat to anyone in the ACC.---Lammers COULD be a decent big man but he's got make giant steps in strength and foul-shooting.Heath is an ok PG on a team with scorers ,which is a real problem with this group.His surgery also could be a factor.Tadric has GOT to get more consistent in shooting as he easily the most athletic /explosive guy on team.Without 15 pt/game from him ,we could be in the 40s sometimes.Q can spot up some which on good nights could be instrumental. I hope JP can get more from all of them.
The rest are too young for me to comment on.
btw-I have been watching Tech bball since big Jim Caldwell,then Rich Yunkus, I was there at Final 4 with in '90, etc ,so I have a little perspective on talent also.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Man, you guys are getting me pumped to get basketball season going again and it's only August!

Here's my unqualified and baseless prediction. We go 4-14 in the ACC. There's 8 games we practically have no chance at winning +/- a game or 2. Prediction for those 8 games is 0-8. For the others I figure we've got a starting 5 on any night that each might have 1 chance in 3 of having a decent night. The other 10 winnable games the other teams each have players that have a 2 in 3 chance of having a decent game. 10*(((1/3)^5)/((2/3)^5))~3.33. I'm predickting we take the .3 game and round up to 4 to get us to 4-14.

Go Jackets! I hope this new coach is everything we hope he is because it's not like we can do a damn thing about who's coaching our Team. The odds are infinitesimal I'll ever amass enough coin to ever influence that decision so I'm sticking to being an irrational fan and hoping I can continue to afford enough beer to get me thru the games, celebrate victories and blunt the pain of watching our beloved Team come up short.

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
Matthews and Okogie look like they're "filling out" nicely...I'm expecting both to be able to make plays immediately.

Attachments

• 13988101_1159817347391053_4316224390976495947_o.jpg
    13988101_1159817347391053_4316224390976495947_o.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 13913690_1159817617391026_5543411858976380895_o.jpg
    13913690_1159817617391026_5543411858976380895_o.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 24

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Still are both freshman in the ACC. Jax was a better offensively than both and look at his struggles. On a team with no play makers they won't provide much.

Elder
Rice Jr
Clinch
Morrow

None of them averaged double digits their freshman year. Shump got 10.6. On a team that will obviously struggle offensively I doubt either of them will impact a great amounts points wise leading to more wins.

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
Not sure Jax was as complete a player as either of these guys...Okogie looks like an absolute beast...I can tell he consciously hit the str/con. with a pastneresque intensity...he's gonna be making plays...Matthews is "filling out"...huge hands...long arms...vast array of offensive game...and most importantly opportunity.Jackson wasn't mentally ready as a freshman,he forced offense and didn't now when or how to assert himself...I love his potential as a power 2...kids a beast with handle and a jumper,I love Tadric and think you'll see him put it together this year.Not to mention...I saw a Q interview recently...he looks and sounds the part of a leader...he's ripped with shoulders...I'm convinced they will run and gun...shoot a ridiculous amount of 3's and play hard defensively...it's going to be fun watching them scrap knowing that the following years recruiting crop will level the playing field.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Still are both freshman in the ACC. Jax was a better offensively than both and look at his struggles. On a team with no play makers they won't provide much.

Elder
Rice Jr
Clinch
Morrow

None of them averaged double digits their freshman year. Shump got 10.6. On a team that will obviously struggle offensively I doubt either of them will impact a great amounts points wise leading to more wins.

First off elder averaged 9.9 ppg. Not double digits but come on. That's a weak inclusion. Second, Clinch averaged nearly 9 ppg and averaged over 10 a game for the final 15. If one or both of them replicate either of those freshman years we're in, relatively, good shape. Third both Morrow and Rice were in situations that made it hard for a big splash by a freshman. Morrow was playing with Jack, Bynum, Elder, and Ish. He only played 12.6 mpg and averaged 5.7 ppg. If he were getting starter minutes that is on pace for double digits. Rice was playing on a team that was very heavily post focused and played with 5 guards/wing getting time. They averaged 15/13 a game respectively when the dynamics of the team changed. Next year we have neither reliable post scoring nor an abundance of guards/wings. Both Okogie and Matthews will get ample opportunity to show what they got.

The issue is that even if one of them does get 10+ per game it likely won't make much of a difference is several other things don't also pan out well.

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
As we get closer to the season I'm not focusing on wins and losses....ppg averages etc. This is a team that JP inherited and I imagine will try to play an tempo pressure defense approach trying to get the pace going up and down taking advantage of the fact that virtually every player on the roster outside of the three true bigs can shoot the 3...we have a few athletes on the wing,we have on paper some serviceable big men with Lammers and two x-factor guys in AD and Sly,all 3 can run...Heath and Heyward won't turn it over and hopefully be able to facilitate the run and gun with Price,Q,Jax,Matthews,Okogie and Kellen jacking threes.Not sure about wins...but the mix of talents could result in some surprisingly high scoring outputs.

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow

Elder
Rice Jr
Clinch
Morrow

Loved Elder...amazing offensive talent...specifically in regards to Okogie and Matthews...both guys will have there moments...I see Okogie consistently impacting all over the place...hes about to blow athletically and he comes off cerebral...a hard worker a la contemporary Jaylen Brown.I think his impact will be similar to what Ishmail Muhammad did his freshman year off the bench with better shooting and play making ability.Matthews I believe will be a little more streaky...able to score in bunches with the consistency coming in his sophomore year....hes got competition for playing time with Price and Kellen on the scene...if he gets early minutes that means hes earned them and is capable.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I want to win, but the key goal this year has to be development of the three freshmen into ACC caliber players. When the 2017 class arrives next summer Jackson & Lammers will be seniors. AD will be a junior. That means at least ten guys will be on the team who have yet to play for GT. We need these three to be ready. They will struggle, but Pastner has to give them minutes and live with their mistakes.

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
So, this team will surprise some, but still be awful.

View attachment 1702
I'm saying we play in the ACC...you have to stop future nba players from scoring more than you do...regardless of how many points we score it comes down to who scores more and has an easier time doing it...we have extremely low expectations but I feel we have a slew of underrated talent,an amazingly positive basketball atmosphere and a handful of guys who could blossom into special players...there going to run and gun...Will they be able to stop ACC caliber teams...Not sure...do I think it's possible...hell yeah...that's why you play the game kid ;)

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
I want to win, but the key goal this year has to be development of the three freshmen into ACC caliber players. When the 2017 class arrives next summer Jackson & Lammers will be seniors. AD will be a junior. That means at least ten guys will be on the team who have yet to play for GT. We need these three to be ready. They will struggle, but Pastner has to give them minutes and live with their mistakes.
I totally agree...but I want to state that despite the ACC being possibly the strongest conference in the country...but this isn't the 80's or 90's when the country was full of teams comprised of juniors and seniors...the games changed...the talent level and athleticism is ridiculous but the flux of players One and doners have depleted the quality of basketball hence the mid major able to compete with less talent but more seasoned players.My point being we have a bunch of seniors,one being the point guard...Tadric a junior...players and teams develop if there working hard and play together long enough...that's why we'll be competitive.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I must admit I'm baffled at this point. Since July 27, you've been boldly predicting ppg, apg & rpg production by player. And projecting "better than the last two years" win totals. Now you say you're not focused on those things?
I think if you had started by saying "we're going to lose a lot of games but I want to see how we compete and how the younger guys develop", I think you would've gotten broad agreement.
On a second note, I hope CJP doesn't try to run with the UNCs & Dukes of the world this year. Nigeria tried that in London 2012 and gave up 156 points to the US. 156-73. I would hate to see us try to run with teams that have far superior talent at every position and far more depth. Developing players is one thing. Destroying their confidence and humiliating them is another

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
I must admit I'm baffled at this point. Since July 27, you've been boldly predicting ppg, apg & rpg production by player. And projecting "better than the last two years" win totals. Now you say you're not focused on those things?
I think if you had started by saying "we're going to lose a lot of games but I want to see how we compete and how the younger guys develop", I think you would've gotten broad agreement.
On a second note, I hope CJP doesn't try to run with the UNCs & Dukes of the world this year. Nigeria tried that in London 2012 and gave up 156 points to the US. 156-73. I would hate to see us try to run with teams that have far superior talent at every position and far more depth. Developing players is one thing. Destroying their confidence and humiliating them is another
I can predict ppg all day...of players I've seen play at the college level...10-12 heath,15 tad,15-18 Q,12-15 Lammers...I'm sorry I baffled you...my expectations is that they play hard...I believe they'll surprise most...obviously you...watch the games.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I totally agree...but I want to state that despite the ACC being possibly the strongest conference in the country...but this isn't the 80's or 90's when the country was full of teams comprised of juniors and seniors...the games changed...the talent level and athleticism is ridiculous but the flux of players One and doners have depleted the quality of basketball hence the mid major able to compete with less talent but more seasoned players.My point being we have a bunch of seniors,one being the point guard...Tadric a junior...players and teams develop if there working hard and play together long enough...that's why we'll be competitive.
There were no one and done players on any of the teams in the Final Four last year. All were composed primarily with upper classmen. I disagree that there are a lot of teams built around 5* freshmen.

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
I can also tell you I don't need a ranking next to Josh okogies's name to know he's going to be a great player...there's to many x-factors to predict wins and losses...to most...there awful...but most don't really no anything when it comes down to it.