This team will surprise some

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
The 4.7 boards for Q is safe ;) I actually think he's muscled into his long body enough to actually block a few shots and like you said rebound.He's not afraid to mix it up and has heart so who knows....in my eyes the rest of the scoring will roll out like this...you've got Obongba,AD,Matthews,Okogie,Heyward and Moore...Kellen and Price...this group will define our ceiling...If everyone of these guys plays a roll,does there job...we'll be able to compete,not sure about closing games...but we'll be in more than most of them.Say Okogie performs like a 4-5 star guy because he's developed so much physically?What if he comes off the radar a la Matt Harpring and impacts immeasurably defensively and offensively making plays...what if Matthews has no conscious and can come off the bench aggressively looking for his offense...he looks like he's put on 20lbs...it's very possible...what if AD doesn't dazzle you but doesn't have flaws,what if he rebounds like a big,guards the wing and passing lanes like a small forward...runs the floor like a gazelle...blocks shots...plays with a high motor...hits the face up out to 15 and can head and shoulder fake from there...one dribble dunk on you???? All the while playing extremely fundamental basketball...guarding 4 positions...that possibility isn't far stretch and more of a reality than you think.I'm not saying Okogie avgs 20...but what if he can surprise and be able to avg 8 off the bench,a few steals,blocks,boards,assists,three's...this kids an elite athlete with a diverse skill set...strong brain and good work ethic.If some of these things happen we go from competitive to actually winning a few games.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If "your guys" don't achieve the insane production you predict, you sign off this board, never to return
If "your guys" become the all stars you project, I'll say sayonara and vacate the premises
What's the point of this?

This is a discussion board. Some days you win, some days you lose. Winning or losing one data point in the grand scheme of Tech athletics should not lead to a death penalty.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Gloves have been dropped. Game on. Here's my proposal. Let me know if you have the stones to back up your talk or if you're a typical troll that just spouts hot air

If "your guys" don't achieve the insane production you predict, you sign off this board, never to return
If "your guys" become the all stars you project, I'll say sayonara and vacate the premises

Injuries are obviously not included, so if Tadric (or anyone else) misses significant time due to injury, I would exclude them from the exercise

For reference, your predicted production for these guys is:
PPG: 10-12 heath,15 tad,15-18 Q,12-15 Lammers
You also predicted 10 - 13 ppg and 6 apg and a mind boggling A:TO for heath in an older post

Come on guys... @coolhaji33 @mstranahan

No need for this. We're all just GT fans who want the same thing at the end of the day, a winning basketball team. What is going to be accomplished from someone leaving this board? We should be encouraging more people to join, not encouraging people to leave. Everyone needs to just cut out the s**t and respect the other person's opinion, whether you agree or disagree.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
What's the point of this?

This is a discussion board. Some days you win, some days you lose. Winning or losing one data point in the grand scheme of Tech athletics should not lead to a death penalty.

No need for this. We're all just GT fans who want the same thing at the end of the day, a winning basketball team. What is going to be accomplished from someone leaving this board? We should be encouraging more people to join, not encouraging people to leave. Everyone needs to just cut out the s**t and respect the other person's opinion, whether you agree or disagree.

Thank-you for this. I think it's great that we have a sports forum where girls aren't afraid to contribute.

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
Tadrick at 16.8 PPG would replace MGH as the number 8 scoring average in the ACC (4.7 PPG last year)
Q at 15.7 PPG would come in at number 14 in the ACC (5 PPG last year)
Both would be higher than Adam Smith last year at 15.0 PPG
Nothing would make me happier (well almost nothing) but color me skeptical

FWIW I do think that 4.7 rebounds for Q may be low. I actually think he rebounds better than he gets credit for.

At a high level, I'd use language like impressed, surprised, and happy. I would also have to give a major tip of the cap to the kids for putting in the work and the coaching staff for significant improvement in all three kids. (The type of cross-year player improvement we haven't seen under CPH or CBG.)

On a player-by-player basis, I see it like this

Tadric: 40 % shooting wouldn't surprise me. (38.5% last year) If his FTA per min (1 FTA per 9 mins) & FTA (61%) stay the same, but his mins go up a lot (30 min per game), that would mean he's shooting roughly 7 for 19 on average. He's capable of creating his own shot, so I think he will be our go to guy when we need to put something up, but I doubt he'll hoist up that many every game. Some games, but not across the season.

Q: Last two years, he's scored 6.0 and 5.0 in 20 mins per game. In order for him to triple his scoring in roughly 50% more PT, he will need to shoot significantly more often and also improve his shooting %. Given his generally passive approach, I don't see how he'll get many more shots per minute. He's essentially a catch-and-shoot guy and he's really struggled with putting it on the floor in the past. I also don't expect a big improvement in shooting % since he's been extremely consistent across three years (37 / 34/ 36)

Heath: In two years, he's been very consistent... 1 assist for every 6.5 - 7 minutes on the court. With fewer scoring options this year, I don't see that rate improving. At 35 mpg, he could average 5 - 6 apg. Just not sure he'll get that many minutes. Scoring-wise, he's a 40% shooter who hasn't shown he can create his own shot. If his minutes double to 35, I can see him scoring 6 ppg. I think quadrupling his ppg and doubling his apg would require more minutes than I think he could expect

The biggest stretch IMO is the .500 record. I don't think that's in the realm of likelihood. I don't know a lot about most of the OOC teams (most appear to be typical pay-for-pummel fodder), so I'll guess they finish non-conf slate at 8-4 or 9-3. I'm counting UGA, Tennessee, Penn State and VCU as the most likely losses. In conference, I believe they'll finish with 2 - 4 wins. I assume they will lose in first round of ACC tourney. That puts the record somewhere between 10 - 21 and 13 - 18. Completely understand I haven't seen any of these teams play this year, but going 16-15 would really shock me this year
Tadric is a catch and shoot guy...he does that fairly well...the aspects of his game that he's shown but not capitalized on is his off the dribble game...there seemed to have been a lid on the basket his freshman year...great moves,great elevation...blown bunny...that WILL change...He's matured mentally and physically...hell be finishing with authority as an upperclassmen...he also will get to line far more this year skewing his previous FTA stats...Heath will be "unleashed" so to speak...He's not passive...He's disciplined...he doesn't put himself in drive or die situations...he picks his spots...they'll be running a ton of motion and pushing pace...the points and assists will come...it's the consistency of his jumper which will effect things the most...his pull up to range is fine...it's the stationary three he needs to hit...He's to the point where he confidently takes them knowing he has to,maintaining integrity in the offense....He's just got to make them.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Where are the points going to come from if not from them? Maybe somewhere, but much more likely to come from them.

The thing about MGH and Adam was that there were others taking shots. Other teams have many more scoring options and the ball is spread around more. This year, there will be 3/4 players scoring the majority of the points.

That was why I put the context of the ACC scoring leaders in there. I am as high on Tadrick's potential as anyone but I have a really hard time seeing him jump up into the top 10 in the ACC in scoring. Same with Q scoring in the top 20. If we go all Loyola Marymount then yea maybe that happens but otherwise the context makes it hard to fathom.

I have said I expect scoring to be a real issue next year. I can see Tadrick and possibly Q being double digit scorers but in the 10/11 range. Also recognize that if these 2 are the ones that take all the shots they are going to get all the defensive focus - something they are not used to for sure. At this point they don't strike me as top 20 ACC level scorers. Hope I am wrong.

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
That was why I put the context of the ACC scoring leaders in there. I am as high on Tadrick's potential as anyone but I have a really hard time seeing him jump up into the top 10 in the ACC in scoring. Same with Q scoring in the top 20. If we go all Loyola Marymount then yea maybe that happens but otherwise the context makes it hard to fathom.

I have said I expect scoring to be a real issue next year. I can see Tadrick and possibly Q being double digit scorers but in the 10/11 range. Also recognize that if these 2 are the ones that take all the shots they are going to get all the defensive focus - something they are not used to for sure. At this point they don't strike me as top 20 ACC level scorers. Hope I am wrong.
I can respect that but look at our make up...there really are defined roles on this team opposed to years past under CBG...look at last year...talk about redefining roles!!!! Hunt to the point...Heath,a classic pg off to the bench...an overlying feel of "who's are go to"...is it running "stuff" for Smith...let Hunt go 1on1...or throw it down to chuck or Jacobs...it took a season to figure it out...this year you have defined roles...with a few glue guys like Okogie and Matthews who can do a few things...even our grad transfers have defined roles which should add to the fluidity "of things"...Price will be looking to score,get lost in transition for the 3...same for Kellen...both veterans that can catch,pass and shoot the ball...that's what they'll be asked to do...there job.makes for a winning program when you break it down to jobs...this groups jobs are clearly defined.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I can respect that but look at our make up...there really are defined roles on this team opposed to years past under CBG...look at last year...talk about redefining roles!!!! Hunt to the point...Heath,a classic pg off to the bench...an overlying feel of "who's are go to"...is it running "stuff" for Smith...let Hunt go 1on1...or throw it down to chuck or Jacobs...it took a season to figure it out...this year you have defined roles...with a few glue guys like Okogie and Matthews who can do a few things...even our grad transfers have defined roles which should add to the fluidity "of things"...Price will be looking to score,get lost in transition for the 3...same for Kellen...both veterans that can catch,pass and shoot the ball...that's what they'll be asked to do...there job.makes for a winning program when you break it down to jobs...this groups jobs are clearly defined.

Not to be argumentative - but I would take the other side and say IMHO the roles on this team coming up are the least defined they have been in a while. We are looking for role players to step up into prime time scoring roles and have a ton of new players to try to fit in. That is before we get to the fact our expected PG still isn't practicing, it isn't clear (at least to me) whether Q is a 4 or a 3 and what style CJP is going to play to put these players/roles together.

I think there are a lot of roles and playing time to be awarded to players on this team in ways that are not yet obvious. A lot IMHO is going to come down to how much CJP can force feed roles and PT to the younger players - freshman and redshirts - that he needs to know what he has.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Tadric has a chance to score 20+ a game this year bc no one has proven they can score on this team and we will be down 20 so he can get a lot of trash time buckets....Heath has shown a little bit of ability but is consistently disrespected and often leads to GT playing 4 vs 5 on offense due to his lack of 3 point ability. Lastly, I have nothing to do with this board beef but I have 1 question: @coolhaji33 if you are so good at evaluating talent and have this huge resume, why are you on a forum instead of working for a college or NBA team in scouting?

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
Not to be argumentative - but I would take the other side and say IMHO the roles on this team coming up are the least defined they have been in a while. We are looking for role players to step up into prime time scoring roles and have a ton of new players to try to fit in. That is before we get to the fact our expected PG still isn't practicing, it isn't clear (at least to me) whether Q is a 4 or a 3 and what style CJP is going to play to put these players/roles together.

I think there are a lot of roles and playing time to be awarded to players on this team in ways that are not yet obvious. A lot IMHO is going to come down to how much CJP can force feed roles and PT to the younger players - freshman and redshirts - that he needs to know what he has.
I agree with the point of fitting in New players...we do have a lot of them and I also agree on the awarding of minutes that are not yet obvious so defining roles could be hard on the scoring end.I think going in Pastner has to say Q and Tadric are to be viewed as the game planned focus of our offense.Lammers will be our anchor down low offensively...these things are fact to me...Heath, if healthy,is clearly our ball handler..without him...all bets are off lol...but what you said about minutes awarded to not so obvious candidates is spot on.That's were the Okogie factor comes in...his body and game remind me of Brogdon from UVA...an athletically superior guy with skills...he could change the "roles" dynamic if he's as good as I think but still Q is your best shooter...and a true 3...another 20lbs of muscle and a jump hook and you might be able to call him a stretch 4...I just call him a good player but that's a whole other thread.Matthews is another x factor guy...he can score it every which way much like Glenn Rice Jr. very similar builds....all he needed was to fill out and it looks like he has.The rest of the guys are very much defined IMHO...you'll never see us dump it into Obongba with his back to the basket...he'll set picks and rebound.Kellen will catch the ball,set picks,box out,pass,scrap and try to get open for the long ball.Price will be asked to shoot the ball and play hard.My point being...for the most part...guys will know there roles and not try to do something they can't do or there job doesn't entail.Any changing of the roles are welcome though which would most likely foreshadow the emergence of an impact player.

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
Tadric has a chance to score 20+ a game this year bc no one has proven they can score on this team and we will be down 20 so he can get a lot of trash time buckets....Heath has shown a little bit of ability but is consistently disrespected and often leads to GT playing 4 vs 5 on offense due to his lack of 3 point ability. Lastly, I have nothing to do with this board beef but I have 1 question: @coolhaji33 if you are so good at evaluating talent and have this huge resume, why are you on a forum instead of working for a college or NBA team in scouting?
To answer your question Baller...life...but my life's far from over so I don't rule anything out ;) This is good enough for me...and most of the guys in this forum truly know there ****e...being on here has actually rekindled my love of recruiting and college hoop in general...I came up in the Dickie V days...I lived Kenny Anderson...I thought I was a 5'11 white Dennis Scott ;) Anyway...I love the game man,used to get recruiting newspaper mags sent to the house,they looked hand typed lol.

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer

Good post MM. I toiled away on the Hive for way too long, wondering why nobody was talking about the team or cared about recruiting until dtm messaged me and told me to come over to this board. It's been great seeing interaction in here daily, even during the offseason. Glad to be a part of it and looking forward to coming out of the lean years together.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Good post MM. I toiled away on the Hive for way too long, wondering why nobody was talking about the team or cared about recruiting until dtm messaged me and told me to come over to this board. It's been great seeing interaction in here daily, even during the offseason. Glad to be a part of it and looking forward to coming out of the lean years together.

There's no disagreement that's worth losing a member of this board over

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
duty_calls.png