This team will surprise some

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
UT is one of the 2 games we should have in the left column along with Ohio.

UT has an argument for being better than us. 3 in a row over UK, Auburn and K-State along with a 23 point win over us.

I'd make that point if I liked wearing sherbet colored shirts and didn't mind that my women's program was far more recognizeable....

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer

UT has an argument for being better than us. 3 in a row over UK, Auburn and K-State along with a 23 point win over us.

I'd make that point if I liked wearing sherbet colored shirts and didn't mind that my women's program was far more recognizeable....
UT will fall back into the crapper most likely when Rick Barnes,who is around 70,hangs it up in the next couple of seasons. GT will be on the ascent in the ACC with Josh Pastner.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer

Penn state, Ohio, Tennessee, and Georgia. Just win 2 of the 4 and we're already basically a shoe in for the tournament. Hopefully next year we do a little better OOC and play at least .500 ball in conference to get a decent seed in the tourney.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
While I would love to have the Ohio and UGA games back, this team has far exceeded my expectations and I am just living in the moment and happy. If we make the tourney, I stand by my statements at the beginning of this thread that it will be one of the best coaching jobs ever at Tech. That said, even if we make the NIT, I would still be very pleased overall with the progress made by Pastner in his first year.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
While I would love to have the Ohio and UGA games back, this team has far exceeded my expectations and I am just living in the moment and happy. If we make the tourney, I stand by my statements at the beginning of this thread that it will be one of the best coaching jobs ever at Tech. That said, even if we make the NIT, I would still be very pleased overall with the progress made by Pastner in his first year.

Agreed. NIT is still a win for this program this year.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Heath: Have always wondered why GT fans never embraced his game. Not the flashy/scoring PG GT has had in the past that we love, but he's always been a steady guy who makes good decisions (seriously he's better 2/1 Assists to TO ratio for his career here). Has been a big contributor this year in terms of eating minutes and taking care of the ball. Will makes plays when he needs to, but still lacking that killer in him to make something happen on his own. Like I said, better than GT fans want to give him credit for.

Just looking at some stats while getting ready for the game tonight.... Heath's stats in ACC play are markedly better than in OOC. I don't think that's coincidental w/r/t our success in conference and improved play. I didn't think he had this in him, but I have to give him props!
MinPG 31 vs 26
PPG: 6.3 vs 5.3
FG% 50% vs 32%
3FG% 44% vs 22%
FT% stayed same (75%)
RPG 2.2 vs 1.8
APG 5.1 vs 2.9
TOPG 2.2 vs 2.3
A:TO 2.3 vs 1.3
STLS 1.4 vs 1.0

JonathanV

Georgia Tech Fan
It may just be more post-CBG trauma, but I'm concerned that next year's team may have less success than this year's team. We seem to be benefitting from CBG's focus on defense and rebounding, and we may find that as we lose those players, we lose strengths that CJP has not yet had to develop in the team.

Playing with such low expectations may have had to do a lot with our continued intensity this year.

gtbync

Jolly Good Fellow
It may just be more post-CBG trauma, but I'm concerned that next year's team may have less success than this year's team. We seem to be benefitting from CBG's focus on defense and rebounding, and we may find that as we lose those players, we lose strengths that CJP has not yet had to develop in the team.

Playing with such low expectations may have had to do a lot with our continued intensity this year.

Why some fans or so called fans can't enjoy what's happening this year. Why focus on next year, a lot of Debbie downers in here and can't appreciate anything.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

Get out of here with that. One of our 2 best players never played for BG. Lammers played 2 seasons was good but he wasn't this fricken good.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

lol what garbage is this? We're not benefiting from the focus gregory had on anything. The strengths of this year's team on defense is due to their ability to adequately play several different styles of defense, and knowing almost always exactly when to switch and what they are expected to do. That isn't a trait we saw any of under gregory.

JonathanV

Georgia Tech Fan
Get out of here with that. One of our 2 best players never played for BG. Lammers played 2 seasons was good but he wasn't this fricken good.
Don't forget that Okogie was a CBG recruit. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a CBG fan, but he was such a bad game time coach that it's not the most absurd idea that players developed in some ways under him.

JonathanV

Georgia Tech Fan
I would honestly like more discussion of this. I think we can attribute a lot of Chap's success to putting players in more comfortable roles for them.

Lammers' transition to the high post took advantage of his court vision, passing ability, and midrange jumper. He definitely improved, but a lot of his success has been due to being more comfortable, and not being forced to be a traditional low post player.

Jax in particular has really been a different player from day one. I think CBG was always holding him back in terms of offensive aggression. CJP intentionally playing him off the bench every game allows him to enter games a little uncontrolled, and he's had huge scoring outputs for very few minutes in the games when he's hot.

Both of those benefitted a lot from the change of system.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I went back and looked at some of my own preseason expectations for this team. Some were spot on

On a player-by-player basis, I see it like this

Tadric: 40 % shooting wouldn't surprise me. (38.5% last year)

Q: I also don't expect a big improvement in shooting % since he's been extremely consistent across three years (37 / 34/ 36)

Heath: In two years, he's been very consistent... 1 assist for every 6.5 - 7 minutes on the court. With fewer scoring options this year, I don't see that rate improving. At 35 mpg, he could average 5 - 6 apg. Just not sure he'll get that many minutes. Scoring-wise, he's a 40% shooter who hasn't shown he can create his own shot. If his minutes double to 35, I can see him scoring 6 ppg.

In other ways I was so far off the mark, it's laughable
1 or 2 conference wins.... 13 or 14 wins overall.... building a statue of CJP if we make the NCAAs....

Okogie has been far better than I allowed myself to imagine. Corey has played far better than I thought he would. The big surprise (and a positive one) for me is the heart this team has shown. They bust their asses every game, win or lose. They play as a team, not a collection of individuals.

They may not be the best team I've ever seen, but they are now one of my favorites.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I went back and looked at some of my own preseason expectations for this team. Some were spot on

In other ways I was so far off the mark, it's laughable
1 or 2 conference wins.... 13 or 14 wins overall.... building a statue of CJP if we make the NCAAs....

Okogie has been far better than I allowed myself to imagine. Corey has played far better than I thought he would. The big surprise (and a positive one) for me is the heart this team has shown. They bust their asses every game, win or lose. They play as a team, not a collection of individuals.

They may not be the best team I've ever seen, but they are now one of my favorites.

Yeah I think I had JOk at 9 a game. Certainly not 15. I saw him more as a SAK type player. He's been a tremendous surprise.

Most surprising freshman since? Marvin? Elder?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
LOL. As others have said, this is pure delusion. I am not sure folks appreciate how mediocre Tech historically has been in the ACC regular season, even in our good years. For some perspective, in our 2004-05 national championship season, the team went 9-7 to finish 4th in the ACC.

If we get 8 this year, Pastner should be given the Hewitt contact ;)