This should be a nice fun thread.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Not to dump on johnson & the option, but if that was one of the reason he was hired I don't believe it is fully working.

My initial reaction was to respond, "LOL."

Then, I thought that maybe you were serious. So, I thought that I should try and understand your position.

Could you flesh out what you meant? Are you dissatisfied with the O? What would be a satisfactory measure of the O?

Are you dissatisfied with the D? Have you lost patience with CPJ looking for a good DC?

Or, are you trolling?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
A NC might attract more applications, but Noble prizes attract more research.
I believe that is the proverbial apples and oranges. That research adds to the luster and prestige and brings cash, but it does diddly for the athletic programs. And NO NO NO NO. I am not against research. It drives knowledge and I am not against that for sure. But the discussion was football competition, and with maybe a rare exception, no Nobel researcher ever played strong safety.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Some one said . the option is not its fully working and here we go with here we go with name calling.

I will say this - if the next 3 years are like the last 3 years, ( 1 bowl every 3 years) there will be lots of pain.

I wonder by your lol that think all is pretty good.

Here areMy issues
Our inability
1. to pass to make the cheating defenses pay.
2. to get playing time for backups.
3. to coach up our smart players to minimize missed assignments.
4. to ( 10 years) to figure out u have to an aggressive defense so OUR offense can get back on field and wear down the opp.

On the positive we really can beat the xxx out of crappy teams.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Not to dump on johnson & the option, but if that was one of the reason he was hired I don't believe it is fully working.
Nicely understated and you get a point for that. Maybe over on Ripple or whatever? No question we have had more downs than up of late and I have said previously, I think anyway, that anything short of nine wins this year will in my opinion fire up that exit sign. A pity, because the option is our best shot. And not the commie read or zone shotgun options. I mean the American option.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Some one said . the option is not its fully working and here we go with here we go with name calling.

I will say this - if the next 3 years are like the last 3 years, ( 1 bowl every 3 years) there will be lots of pain.

I wonder by your lol that think all is pretty good.

Here areMy issues
Our inability
1. to pass to make the cheating defenses pay.
2. to get playing time for backups.
3. to coach up our smart players to minimize missed assignments.
4. to ( 10 years) to figure out u have to an aggressive defense so OUR offense can get back on field and wear down the opp.

On the positive we really can beat the xxx out of crappy teams.
Door No. 4 is legit. The rest, meh.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I believe that is the proverbial apples and oranges. That research adds to the luster and prestige and brings cash, but it does diddly for the athletic programs. And NO NO NO NO. I am not against research. It drives knowledge and I am not against that for sure. But the discussion was football competition, and with maybe a rare exception, no Nobel researcher ever played strong safety.
You are correct most Nobel Laureates were lineman;) actually I would bet that there are few recruits that would know the names of any of them.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Really? It looks like I used your analogy.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Charlie Ward (f s u ) Rhodes scholar was good at f B and B b.

After pro basketball - was coaching at wealthy private HS in Houston , came to Pensacola Washington.high . Not so much at either - now moved on to HS in Tallahassee.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Actually 1 is the easiest to fix and with the defenses up - should be easy pickings.

This year we could get 1, 2,3,4!
2018!
Once we get ahead they will cheat up more.
With apologies to Bull Durham regarding one, it is a simple game. You throw the ball. You catch the ball.... So you see, right away the damn thing is complicated because in 10 years we have had numerous guys who could catch the ball and just one guy who could throw the ball, and the guy we got now is not him. And that is putting a positive spin on it.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You are correct most Nobel Laureates were lineman;) actually I would bet that there are few recruits that would know the names of any of them.
There was Moe Berg, but he was a baseball player, who was probably smart enough to understand analytics and explain it in several languages.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Charlie Ward was not a Rhodes scholar, iirc. And I agree that no one should turn down an ivy league offer, but they do not give scholarships. they send you a "likely letter" with a grant funding package that's need based or academic, and they often will let athletes directly apply to any of their schools (Wharton, eg) straight away.

Tech should start offering guaranteed 4/5 year GPA dependent scholarships to point out the "40 year difference". ot sure if its feasible, but we need to make it clear that a uga deal where they force you to major in dirt gazing is not the same thing as a degree from tech.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
After being a loyal follower for years, I quit their site and deleted my account after they wrote a very biased article against Josh Pastner when he was sued for sexual assault. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. Some of their writers tweet vile filth - last fall some of the cursing and idiocy directed at Ted Roof was over the line. I am no Ted Roof fan, but if you're a Georgia Tech writer, you should represent the community well. There was just too much negativity over there. Here I have found a much more well balanced community of people. Its okay to criticize, its okay to be negative. But be fans. Be loyal. I'm not going to even click through to read the article.
While I agree with you, I do hope you come back around over there. I waste time on both sites!