This should be a nice fun thread.

Deleted member 2897

Just read some of the comments over there on that article, and on a previous article that had 50+ comments. Some of the people over there reminded me of why I quit and deleted my account. Basically demanding that even though we're almost dead last in spending on football that somehow we should be ranked in the top 15-20 every year or else CPJ should be fired. Bunch of lunatics and negative nellies who wouldn't know what to do every day if they couldn't wake up and complain about something.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Just read some of the comments over there on that article, and on a previous article that had 50+ comments. Some of the people over there reminded me of why I quit and deleted my account. Basically demanding that even though we're almost dead last in spending on football that somehow we should be ranked in the top 15-20 every year or else CPJ should be fired. Bunch of lunatics and negative nellies who wouldn't know what to do every day if they couldn't wake up and complain about something.
It's better to have fans that want to win then fans that don't care and don't think we should win

Deleted member 2897

It's better to have fans that want to win then fans that don't care and don't think we should win

Um, yea, but that doesn't have anything to do with the issue at hand. Its not their wanting to win that is the problem. We all want to win and we all want to win more than we do.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
After being a loyal follower for years, I quit their site and deleted my account after they wrote a very biased article against Josh Pastner when he was sued for sexual assault. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. Some of their writers tweet vile filth - last fall some of the cursing and idiocy directed at Ted Roof was over the line. I am no Ted Roof fan, but if you're a Georgia Tech writer, you should represent the community well. There was just too much negativity over there. Here I have found a much more well balanced community of people. Its okay to criticize, its okay to be negative. But be fans. Be loyal. I'm not going to even click through to read the article.
Trust me. The grass is way greener at FTRS. Don’t ever venture to gtsportstalk.com
I stopped even visiting that place cause all they did was ***** and moan. It was way too much.

NorthFultonJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
We better be prepared for when the ACC contract runs out and companies like Amazon and Netflix take over from the likes of ESPN. Read an interesting article by Brian Bishop (can’t link the article here) where those companies will base their rights fees on purchasing content from the schools who drive the ratings meter. Soon we may see the formation of super conferences and I’m afraid Tech is not a school they are going to be interested in.

The Rev.

Georgia Tech Fan
Many articles on FTRS seem to be nothing more than 'rewrites' of AJC articles. They let Ken Suguira do the work, then they slightly repackage it. Very little, if any, real news on FTRS.
So..., to get more attention in the offseason, they have gone to opinion pieces like this. I'll give them credit - it's worked. We might not agree with it, but we're talking about it.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Our 2017 athletic year has been really bad except women' tennis and ACC camps in golf. Otherwise we are a C- in sports performance and maybe even a D+. This past year was forgetable. TSTAN has his work cutout for him. Start with baseball. We can get back faster there. We have competitive talent. Harder in FB and MBB. Takes time and $.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Well good thing that’s not what @bwelbo is talking about. There’s a difference in wanting to win and having unrealistic ideas that we should be top 15 every year when we’ve never been that team. I want to win as bad as the next, but I also understand football and I understand that CPJ is one of the best. Have you ever heard a fan say they don’t care about winning?

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I don't disagree with everything in the article. To me there are two college footballs. In one, teams are just trying to win conference championships, beat their rivals, and go to quality bowl games. In the other, a small group of teams are competing for a national championship. It will be roughly the same teams in the championship category every year with a couple of temporary outliers, and in my opinion it is relatively boring. Because of the money and prestige involved, it isn't likely to change for a long time and the gap seems to grow wider and wider. I still love competing in the first category though. To me that is real college football.
Best thing I have read in a while. And totally agree. I often wonder how South Carolina fans feel with Clempsun being the " little brother " in their state. I know I am dreaming , but I want that for GT in the state of Georgia.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Best thing I have read in a while. And totally agree. I often wonder how South Carolina fans feel with Clempsun being the " little brother " in their state. I know I am dreaming , but I want that for GT in the state of Georgia.
Although I don’t think Clem/USC is strongly analogous to GT/ugag, I share your hope. The problem is that in numerous ways it is more difficult to recruit to Tech. If Tech switched its academics with that of Clemson it would make all the difference in the world but Texh wouldn’t be Tech.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I agree with the comment "a small group of teams competing for a National Championship" ... but I think College Football will eventually be forced to somehow level the playing field.
Interest and $$$ will start to taper off without some form of competitive parity ... I love college football, but personally have no interest in watching another Alabama vs. Clemson/any SEC Team National Title Game.
The article in general isn't that far off, I disagree with 2014 as our ceiling and I HATE being compared to the service academies, but I guess we brought that on ourselves with the TO.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I agree with the comment "a small group of teams competing for a National Championship" ... but I think College Football will eventually be forced to somehow level the playing field.
Interest and $$$ will start to taper off without some form of competitive parity ... I love college football, but personally have no interest in watching another Alabama vs. Clemson/any SEC Team National Title Game.
The article in general isn't that far off, I disagree with 2014 as our ceiling and I HATE being compared to the service academies, but I guess we brought that on ourselves with the TO.
I agree with everything said!!! Leveling the playing field seems like an easy thing to do as well, or atleast there are something’s that can be done to help a little. the new rule of only allowing a kid to be offered in his junior and senior year could help. I think kids being able to sign anytime would help as well and they can only get out of that commitment if the head coach leaves before the normal national signing day. I also think support staffs should have a cap as well, maybe 15 or so.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you tech_wreck47 that support staffs should have a cap. I'm not sure how the NCAA justifies a no cap rule. It gives the factory schools way too much advantage.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I actually saw a guy with a Harvard T shirt and an Alabama hat.

At Baylor my son taught philosophy to a baylor football player who had turned down Harvard to be a back up at Baylor football team.

In the new social media world is seems loyal relationships are not a family tradition.

We need the gtaa to keep improving our foot print on social media. We could get some players to self recruit- especially on an aggressive defense.

Hope Coach hasc3 great years 18,19,20 and the ncaa starts to level the field.

It starts this year or the dreaded ilk ( duke) will pass us

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I don’t understand the vitriol towards duke. Do I like them? No but I also don’t care enough about them in any way to measure our program against them.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I actually saw a guy with a Harvard T shirt and an Alabama hat.

At Baylor my son taught philosophy to a baylor football player who had turned down Harvard to be a back up at Baylor football team.

In the new social media world is seems loyal relationships are not a family tradition.

We need the gtaa to keep improving our foot print on social media. We could get some players to self recruit- especially on an aggressive defense.

Hope Coach hasc3 great years 18,19,20 and the ncaa starts to level the field.

It starts this year or the dreaded ilk ( duke) will pass us
Somebody in my opinion would be dumb to turn down a scholarship from an Ivy League school. I also can't figure out why kids up here in Tennessee would want to go to Vanderbilt when they could go to Brown,Columbia,Cornell or Dartmouth for the same money.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I don’t understand the vitriol towards duke. Do I like them? No but I also don’t care enough about them in any way to measure our program against them.

1. To whom do u compare our team?

2. Why Duke gets under my skin is our recent record against them is bad and they are a quality school w no real quality facilities.
In o, 10, 11,12,13 We beat them.
Then in 14 which was a great year, we lost 2 games in regular schedule and one was to Duke. So close to running the table.
In 15 we lost big to them.
In 16 we won by 3.
In 17 we lost big.
That W1 and L4.

If we lose in 18 and have 6 6 year that would be 1 of 6. If so there will be copious amounts of vitriol but it won't be targeted at the dreaded ilk.

3. A further concern Duke (w qb whisperer Cutclife) is in running for CLEMSON QB TRANSFER - Hunter Johnson who is more of a pocket passer. HJ - had 75% completion rates.

In recent past
They are on the rise.
2018 its Time to flush the dreaded ilk

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Duke recruits on Cutcliffe reputation, academics, and past success of athletes. Most of them end up in Sociology and graduate with inflated GPA's.