This should be a nice fun thread.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we should either really try to compete, and I mean really try to compete or get the hell out. We do not really know what we are capable of as the school has never invested the resources necessary to compete not have they realized that college athletics changed, forever, with desegregation, and then again with the advent of Larry Culpepper's college football playoff. bottom line: try to be a success and be the best we can be or get the hell out

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Totally agree. I meant Rice has less than 5,000 undergrad and their football tradition is nothing like ours. Except for Heisman coaching them.
Did Heisman coach everybody in the known football world? Not a lot of GT exclusiveness here, is there?

slugboy

Staff member
I don’t understand the vitriol towards duke. Do I like them? No but I also don’t care enough about them in any way to measure our program against them.

I think a lot of it is that they aren’t an automatic win any more.
Some of the reason why is them; they’ve gotten better. Some is us; we’ve stayed about the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don't disagree with everything in the article. To me there are two college footballs. In one, teams are just trying to win conference championships, beat their rivals, and go to quality bowl games. In the other, a small group of teams are competing for a national championship. It will be roughly the same teams in the championship category every year with a couple of temporary outliers, and in my opinion it is relatively boring. Because of the money and prestige involved, it isn't likely to change for a long time and the gap seems to grow wider and wider. I still love competing in the first category though. To me that is real college football.
I long for the season we are that rare outlier.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I long for the season we are that rare outlier.
The way I've kind of logic'd it out in my head is we win the ACC title with 2 losses and all the Go5 teams and 1 other P5 champion have down years. We could steal a 4 seed with that.

My main goal for every season is still just to win the ACC title. We could go 5-3 in conference but as long as we make the ACCCG game and win, I'd be through the moon. If we just happened to slip into the Top 4, it'd be a lot of fun but I'd probably have no expectations once we got there.

Also on the main topic of this thread, I think people forget how disgustingly lucky we were to win at least 2, maybe 3 of those games in 2014. That team was good but some of the chips fell the right way too. Mainly looking at you, VT and GaSou. Even UGA had their cleats on our throat (but also vice versa...that game was wild) a time or 2.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
The way I've kind of logic'd it out in my head is we win the ACC title with 2 losses and all the Go5 teams and 1 other P5 champion have down years. We could steal a 4 seed with that.

My main goal for every season is still just to win the ACC title. We could go 5-3 in conference but as long as we make the ACCCG game and win, I'd be through the moon. If we just happened to slip into the Top 4, it'd be a lot of fun but I'd probably have no expectations once we got there.

Also on the main topic of this thread, I think people forget how disgustingly lucky we were to win at least 2, maybe 3 of those games in 2014. That team was good but some of the chips fell the right way too. Mainly looking at you, VT and GaSou.

I will be a very happy man if GT wins 9-10 games and or goes to the ACCCG

I think a lot of it is that they aren’t an automatic win any more.
Some of the reason why is them; they’ve gotten better. Some is us; we’ve stayed about the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Duke has never been an automatic win for us. 1987-1989, the Spurrier years. Is Cutcliffe Spurrier, no but he is a darn good coach.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Also on the main topic of this thread, I think people forget how disgustingly lucky we were to win at least 2, maybe 3 of those games in 2014. That team was good but some of the chips fell the right way too. Mainly looking at you, VT and GaSou. Even UGA had their cleats on our throat (but also vice versa...that game was wild) a time or 2.
You’re certainly right that we got fantastically lucky in some games at the start of the season, but by the same token we were not relying on luck at the end. If anything, in our last regular-season game, it was (u)GA that was fantastically lucky, to even be in the game in the fourth quarter. And by “fantastically lucky”, I really mean “gifted, repeatedly, by the refs”. In a fairly called game, we’d have won by two touchdowns—minimum—in regulation.

Likewise, in the Orange Bowl we were not relying on luck; our offense was by that point firing on all cylinders. If we had eked out a victory against FSU in the ACC championship, and somehow ended up playing Oregon in the CFP, I think we would’ve had a really good chance to end up in the final.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
You’re certainly right that we got fantastically lucky in some games at the start of the season, but by the same token we were not relying on luck at the end. If anything, in our last regular-season game, it was (u)GA that was fantastically lucky, to even be in the game in the fourth quarter. And by “fantastically lucky”, I really mean “gifted, repeatedly, by the refs”. In a fairly called game, we’d have won by two touchdowns—minimum—in regulation.

Likewise, in the Orange Bowl we were not relying on luck; our offense was by that point firing on all cylinders. If we had eked out a victory against FSU in the ACC championship, and somehow ended up playing Oregon in the CFP, I think we would’ve had a really good chance to end up in the final.
Numbers
The dc 's for FSU , U g a, MSU were green horns. 2 years before Kelly was a position coach at gt. No longer at fsu. 4 years before being at uga dc Pruitt was recruiter at Ala. The dc that had MSU #1 in nation , quit before the bowl. The temporary dc was fired a few weeks after the orange bowl.

i was at 2 of the games and it was great.

Since that stretch of games, the defenses have been playing closer to the line AND reading their keys faster.

The only exceptions U k who left their nose guard on an island and Tennessee who had line men back a full yard.

Coach is adjusting and players getting better
2018 its Time!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Heisman spent about half his career at Tech. His other stops didn't wait for his coffee to cool.
So Tech does have an exclusive, then.
Nope. A smart capitalist... Followed the $
Speaking of which -- well, not really -- as a matter of curiousity, does anybody know what Bobby Dodd made in say the middle of his great '50s seasons? It would be interesting to extrapolate it to 2018 through inflation. I got a feeling the high teens would be about it.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
What I read here is some posters want to "level" the playing field by reducing the advantages other schools might have over Tech. Hell, if that's what Tech needs to do so they can be competitive, count me out!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
What I read here is some posters want to "level" the playing field by reducing the advantages other schools might have over Tech. Hell, if that's what Tech needs to do so they can be competitive, count me out!
Then the reasonable conclusion remaining is that you wish factory status for ol' Georgia Tech U. It is an arms race out there, and a powerhouse football team is the best way for a school to get national recognition and exposure. (A Heisman winner will generate more applicants than a Nobel Prize, not exactly a fact but I would bet on it.) Clemson has been to three straight NCs and the campus supposedly looks like a construction site. I think I know what you are saying -- I too would like us to get better, but a level playing field seems a reasonable request. Let's face it. The reason for Johnson and his option was to help level that field. (A thought, though. The saying makes little sense as in football both teams would have to play on the uneven side at some point, right?)

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Then the reasonable conclusion remaining is that you wish factory status for ol' Georgia Tech U. It is an arms race out there, and a powerhouse football team is the best way for a school to get national recognition and exposure. (A Heisman winner will generate more applicants than a Nobel Prize, not exactly a fact but I would bet on it.) Clemson has been to three straight NCs and the campus supposedly looks like a construction site. I think I know what you are saying -- I too would like us to get better, but a level playing field seems a reasonable request. Let's face it. The reason for Johnson and his option was to help level that field. (A thought, though. The saying makes little sense as in football both teams would have to play on the uneven side at some point, right?)
Not to dump on johnson & the option, but if that was one of the reason he was hired I don't believe it is fully working.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
A NC might attract more applications, but Noble prizes attract more research.