The Search

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I had a great offer to come to work for another company with a nice promotion and pay increase years ago. I was all set to move until the final interview with my potential new boss. That killed the deal. I wonder...

I went after a job a few years ago to get out of construction and into insurance. I made it through the process and out of 20 or so candidates it was me and another person. Went into the third interview on a nice August day and we sat down and had a great interview for about 2 hours. They contacted me a few days later and wanted to do one more sit down. We scheduled it. The last thing the guy said to me before we hung up was "Make sure when you come into the office this time you don't flip your sunglasses up on your forehead like you did on third interview. The lady who heads up HR found that to be extremely disrespectful"

I said ok.

It gnawed at me for about an hour. I called em back cancelled the last interview and told them to give it to the other person, wasn't interested in working there any longer. Could have been a mistake but I didn't care.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If I trusted that our AD could negotiate and draft a contract that would keep GT from being on the hook for much $$ if Keates were to be implicated in Da 'Ville's strippergate, I would be a Keates guy. If we hired him and he got in trouble we could fire him with no penalty or a small payoff and move on. Then we could go through this same coaching search misery again sooner rather than later.

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
Lets just go get Larranaga, Keatts or Rice and call it a day. I'm gun shy on Lonergan since he arguably has a comparable job now.

Tell the press, "meh, first guy lacked the chest to take on the GT job. Recruits, follow that limp noodle at your own risk!"

Now where do i cash my AD checks?

Don't understand why recruits would follow Drew when he's not our coach?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It's pretty assuring that GT has the money to spend that's being thrown around. It's also a little deflating knowing we can offer that kind of money and our top guys still have no interest.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
It's pretty assuring that GT has the money to spend that's being thrown around. It's also a little deflating knowing we can offer that kind of money and our top guys still have no interest.

I know some may disagree with this but the more information that comes out, the less blame you can put on Bobinski. At a certain point you have to take a chance and go after your man but if your man isn't interested in taking your best offer there isn't much you can do.

(And I know the "you shouldn't have fired gregory" retorts are coming, but I applaud him for taking a chance even if it didn't work out).

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Fair amount I would expect. Not sure I would have gone 2.7M/year for him. Right around $2 is where I expected it to be. He got more than Buzz to VT and Buzz was much more established.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I went after a job a few years ago to get out of construction and into insurance. I made it through the process and out of 20 or so candidates it was me and another person. Went into the third interview on a nice August day and we sat down and had a great interview for about 2 hours. They contacted me a few days later and wanted to do one more sit down. We scheduled it. The last thing the guy said to me before we hung up was "Make sure when you come into the office this time you don't flip your sunglasses up on your forehead like you did on third interview. The lady who heads up HR found that to be extremely disrespectful"

I said ok.

It gnawed at me for about an hour. I called em back cancelled the last interview and told them to give it to the other person, wasn't interested in working there any longer. Could have been a mistake but I didn't care.
My situation was similar. I wore a suit to the first interview, then a sport coat to the interview with my new boss, thinking it would be less formal. The first thing he said to me was that this better be the last time he sees me dressed that way. Oops. I decided before he said another word I wanted no part of him or his company.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
Well since you keep saying info is wrong you probably shouldn't listen...but anyways

Mack was 2.8 and he balked
WOW. Are you saying we offered Mack $2.8MM and drew $2.4MM? CPJ only makes $2.8MM. Holy ****. How toxic is our program that a fortune gets turned down?

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
I may be answering my own post about Lonergan after I found this:
"George Washington has extended men's head basketball coach Mike Lonergan's contract through the end of the 2020-21 season," posted in 2014. Like other worthy candidates out there, there's an extended contract blocking the way. Bummer.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
You have to look at which coaches contracts were signed within the last few years, and which are in P5 conferences...which Drew just signed up for. Non-P5 jobs aren't going to get $2mill a year like P5 jobs will.

The "new norm" obviously would not apply to guys who are coaching on long term contracts signed 3+ years ago.

Lat year, I was really hoping for some guys like Prohm, White, and Underwood. They all just signed with P5 programs within the last year and none are making over $2M. Prohm and Underwood signed for $1.5M or less. If Drew had been up against the guys available in last year's market, no way he gets offered more than $1.7M.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I know some may disagree with this but the more information that comes out, the less blame you can put on Bobinski. At a certain point you have to take a chance and go after your man but if your man isn't interested in taking your best offer there isn't much you can do.

(And I know the "you shouldn't have fired gregory" retorts are coming, but I applaud him for taking a chance even if it didn't work out).

I'm not sure any of us will get the real story. All I know is GT is without a coach and it has nothing to do with $$$ this time around.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The money being thrown around is ridiculous.
Kentucky spends ~ $10 million/year between their football and basketball head coaches.
Vandy spends ~5-6 million / year with this in there.
GT spends (lets assume for the sake of argument we spend $2mil on the new coach although with who is available it'll prob be less) ~ $6.5 million and 25% of that is paying people NOT to coach.

I would argue CPJ is a much better football coach than Stoops or Mason (even those of you who hate CPJ should agree with that) which makes all of this a little ridiculous and shows where we stand as far as athletics go.

At this point, we might as well just pay the CS department $1 million to design a damn digital coach that kicks *** and surround him with low cost quality assistants for recruiting and human interaction purposes and use the money we save to have the best facilities, uniforms, recruiting budget kids would want. Pay for an entire firm who evaluates kids so they make the best decisions for their NFL/NBA future and throw that in the faces of other schools...

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm not sure any of us will get the real story. All I know is GT is without a coach and it has nothing to do with $$$ this time around.
I hope you are at least partly wrong. I think it was always about the money. And, I hope we do indeed get the full story. We are a public institution that cannot legally keep its affairs secret for an unreasonable length of time.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
He's officially signed with Vandy for a truckload of money. Drew screwed with us TWICE to screw over the Commodores to get more money. He's a real piece of work; they deserve him.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I hope you are at least partly wrong. I think it was always about the money. And, I hope we do indeed get the full story. We are a public institution that cannot legally keep its affairs secret for an unreasonable length of time.

If we get a good coach that takes us dancing every year and turns us into ACC contenders, all of this is moot and Drew becomes a footnote. I hope that's exactly what happens. No one will care at that point.

As much as MBob is getting pooped on, it's not too late for him to regroup and find us a good coach. Especially if we're willing to spend $2.5+ million.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
If we get a good coach that takes us dancing every year and turns us into ACC contenders, all of this is moot and Drew becomes a footnote. I hope that's exactly what happens. No one will care at that point.

As much as MBob is getting pooped on, it's not too late for him to regroup and find us a good coach. Especially if we're willing to spend $2.5+ million.

Hopefully we get him here.

Today.

The impact on recruiting currently scares me more than the candidates that are out there.