The Search

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
If we get a good coach that takes us dancing every year and turns us into ACC contenders, all of this is moot and Drew becomes a footnote. I hope that's exactly what happens. No one will care at that point.

As much as MBob is getting pooped on, it's not too late for him to regroup and find us a good coach. Especially if we're willing to spend $2.5+ million.

Now that I've seen the figures, I don't blame MBob at all. Drew's resume doesn't support that contract.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
He's officially signed with Vandy for a truckload of money. Drew screwed with us TWICE to screw over the Commodores to get more money. He's a real piece of work; they deserve him.
Well, if that's the real story, then we absolutely don't need him. I have a feeling that this is also KQ ruffling some feathers to cover his trail of crappy reporting. I just don't see an AD speaking with a potential coach after an agreement was in place and the said coach breached the agreement. Doesn't add up to me.

@GlennW You have been spot on in the past though. This is not a knock against you.

Ramblinwreck07

Jolly Good Fellow
Unfortunately the Drew debacle has probably set the search back several days. The only thing I could see happening quickly is Capel. I hope MBob was still discussing/interviewing others while waiting on Drew; but if they cut Capel loose, I bet they put all their eggs in the Drew basket. Timeframe was 10-14 days; that's getting tight. Missed the opportunity to assemble a staff at the final four. And the April Eval period is about to start. This must move quickly.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Great post i was trying to get a feeler on how the fans viewed him at this point as a candidate. He doesnt seem to be gaining alot of steam like i thought being alum and having a tourney appearance and potential. although i wish he would so we can move in a different direction

Yeah. We've already taken someone else's unwanted problem off their hand and removed him as head coach about 10 days ago. Hence, no steam.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Others have said this, but I'll reiterate: Bryce Drew, with less than 10 years coaching (all at Valpo) and only 4 years as a HC ain't worth $2.7M per year. I don't think he's worth $2.4M per year. He may have been the "prettiest girl at the dance," but that doesn't mean he warrants that kind of cash. He's still too much of a risk for that kind of cash. I would expect one of the high mid-major coaches or successful mid high-major coaches to garner than kind of money. I would question MBob's fiduciary acumen if he'd paid that much from Drew.

gtbync

Jolly Good Fellow
I wonder if Drew was just a smoke screen and the AD already talk to and ready to sign the coach that he want. The AD never really said that Drew was the guy, we assume that he was by what was being posted on the internet.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Well, if that's the real story, then we absolutely don't need him. I have a feeling that this is also KQ ruffling some feathers to cover his trail of crappy reporting. I just don't see an AD speaking with a potential coach after an agreement was in place and the said coach breached the agreement. Doesn't add up to me.

@GlennW You have been spot on in the past though. This is not a knock against you.

Kelly wasn't the only one reporting this; it was on multiple sites from multiple Inside sources or I wouldn't have mentioned it.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Kenny Payne? KU assistant. Great recruiter and is known for developing 1st round NBA talent.

UK not KU. LOL. I threw his name out earlier in the thread. Not a much worse option than some of the other names I have seen recently, but certainly far from a slam dunk hire. I disagree strongly with Peacone36 that he does not develop players. All you have to do is look at a guy like Willy Cauley-Stein and see how he went from totally raw to first team All-American in three years there. I think he could recruit better than most of the options being mentioned, but he has never run a program before, and that means he is a HUGE question mark. I would rather a guy with experience. That said, our options are not unlimited and we could do much worse.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We didn't get his signature on anything. Acting like a guy did us wrong because he got a better offer is crazy, imo. No coffee for MBob.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

LibertyTurns

Banned
As much as MBob is getting pooped on, it's not too late for him to regroup and find us a good coach. Especially if we're willing to spend $2.5+ million.
Yeah have seen that a ton of times. Guy who can't run a business gets lucky and strikes gold. No problem. I'm sure after 3 months of negotiating and analyzing all the failures that our beloved leadership has got it down now.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Yeah have seen that a ton of times. Guy who can't run a business gets lucky and strikes gold. No problem. I'm sure after 3 months of negotiating and analyzing all the failures that our beloved leadership has got it down now.
have some faith dude he did hire Chris Mack at Xavier

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
have some faith dude he did hire Chris Mack at Xavier
And Thad Matta, and Sean Miller. He has a history of making really good basketball hires. Maybe he didn't handle some of the logistical/ financial stuff very well in the Bryce Drew situation, but we should definitely wait and see who he hires before we get out our pitchforks. He might just make a really good hire.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
Coaches that could fit this bill include Chris Holtmann at Butler, Cuonzo Martin at Cal, Matta or Crean (if either of them are looking to pull a Buzz Williams), Kevin Ollie, or someone I'm not thinking of, but would be a bad idea (Tubby Smith, Seth Greenberg).

This smells a LOT like Thad Motta.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
He doesn't develop anything. Those kids are ready for the lottery before he ever gets his hands on them. I'd rather a guy with experience.

That's naive to think he doesn't develop players... not to mention he plays a part in getting them there.