The Search

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
Thad Matta makes a lot of money. That would be an incredible get for us, but I'm not sure if it's realistic.

Half of his team is transferring out or disgruntled. He has a good relationship with Bobinski. I wouldn't be surprised if he took a bit less to start over. Read some of the osu boards about him now. He's been there too long, they are tired.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This smells a LOT like Thad Motta.
I've got 2 concerns with Matta. 1) there were rumors about him possibly being sick. 2) This.

Now, Matta still brings back a bunch of talent and gets paid a lot. The idea has plenty of wild hair theory on my part, but could Thad Matta be thinking maybe it's time for him to pull a Jamie Dixon type of move? Not saying he is, but I've seen crazier **** in college hoops go down.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
Also Cronin would make sense but I'm not sure why the source would want to keep it silent as he just publicly looked into the UNLV position.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Time to fire Bobinski and recall CBG? We are already paying CBG. Either that or promote an assistant coach? We are screwed and might as well acknowledge it.

Anyone hired now is clearly not our desired choice and would have to accept their worth. Better to wait till next year?

Have we gotten any value out of Bobinski? His increase of CBG guarantee cost a lot of money. And regardless of the story about Drew's commitment, I could care less. Bobinski's job is to make it come out right.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
Over a period of time sure. You are not going to impact a kids development exponentially over 150 days.

Come on you know that's not true. I still to this day consider some of my coaches and teachers who I only had limited time with as having huge impacts on my life and my development.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. Anybody who has followed his career at UK understands that one of his strengths has been to develop players (specifically big men) in addition to recruiting them. See, e.g., Kenny Payne: Post Whisperer

Im more impressed with the development of a guy like Lammers than I am with someone like Karl Anthony-Towns. Towns is obviously a better talent but DEVELOPMENT is the key word. Look what Payne had to work with in Towns. The kid was already the best player in that class. He plays against 10 of the other top 300 players in D1 in practice everyday. How can you not improve?

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
Im more impressed with the development of a guy like Lammers than I am with someone like Karl Anthony-Towns. Towns is obviously a better talent but DEVELOPMENT is the key word. Look what Payne had to work with in Towns. The kid was already the best player in that class. He plays against 10 of the other top 300 players in D1 in practice everyday. How can you not improve?

But that comment says nothing about the UK coaches ability to recruit. You have no proof to say he cannot develop talent (you actually have proof on the contrary) so I'm not really sure what you are trying to say.

That coach has been listed for a few years as a good get not sure what data says he wouldn't be good.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Would the XU v Cincy rivalry preclude cronin from coming here?

Do we know if he and Bobbin aren't on good terms. I'd like him at HC over Bobbin at AD honestly.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

I will stop derailing the thread after this post, but it is clear you have made up your mind in the face of the evidence. All it takes is to look at guys like Ben Simmons this year to see that talent along does not guarantee development in college. You need good coaching as well. From USA today regarding Towns:
"Yet when you look at the player who is projected by many to be the best prospect in the 2015 NBA draft, you see what is almost a completely different player than the one that arrived in Lexington only eight months ago. ... All of a sudden he became unstoppable late in the year. The improvement was drastic"
LINK

To bring it back to the thread, all I am saying is that Payne could be a worse choice.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
So you're saying GT recruits would be starting at 0?

No, but it's not like we've been turning away top 10 talent.

No former UK coaches have recruited nearly at the level they did in Lexington so it's far from automatic that talent would follow the assts at their new jobs.