The Search

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
It's done. 6 year $16.3 Million for Drew to Vandy.
And Vandy probably over-drove our price by a good bit to get him. We were probably in the $2M -$2.3 range if I had to guess. Sounds about right, and should give you an idea of what our budget is moving forward.

All of this assuming the number posted above is correct.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I wonder how much of that 2.7 million a year he earned by flirting with us.

If Vandy starts going to the NCAA tournament every year and they become an annual SEC favorite, it will be well worth it.

Coaches getting paid $2.5-3mill+ is the new norm if you want a good one.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I wonder how much of that 2.7 million a year he earned by flirting with us.

Drew was my top choice, but I am not sure I would have been comfortable with that sort of guaranteed money/tenure. I believe he was making something less than $500k at Valpo. Probably deserved something closer to $1.5M/5yr or $1.7/4yr contract. Seems he made himself a TON of money by leveraging the two offers.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Drew was my top choice, but I am not sure I would have been comfortable with that sort of guaranteed money/tenure. I believe he was making something less than $500k at Valpo. Probably deserved something closer to $1.5M/5yr or $1.7/4yr contract. Seems he made himself a TON of money by leveraging the two offers.
Needless to say, his agent is worth whatever Drew paid him.

DaBiz

Georgia Tech Fan
And Vandy probably over-drove our price by a good bit to get him. We were probably in the $2M -$2.3 range if I had to guess. Sounds about right, and should give you an idea of what our budget is moving forward.

All of this assuming the number posted above is correct.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
If Vandy starts going to the NCAA tournament every year and they become an annual SEC favorite, it will be well worth it.

Coaches getting paid $2.5-3mill+ is the new norm if you want a good one.

While that may be the new "norm" for established coaches, I think that way out paces the market for up and coming coaches. Here is a list of salaries for the coaches that made the Tourney this year. More than 40 of the 68 coaches made less than $2MM per year.
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Drew was making just short of $290K at Valpo.

A coach is worth what someone is willing to pay him. Value is determined by the market. MBob should have made him sign a lot sooner while Vandy was still trying to get a big fish like Marshall. MBob let Vandy get involved and the rest is history. Drew and his agent did great job of maxing his value.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Im not sure 5 years at Valpo with no tournament wins warrants one of the top 15 salaries in the country. If that is really what it would have taken then we are probably better off.
Depending on the method for calculating the value of perks, he is either the 2nd or 3rd highest paid coach in the SEC.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
While that may be the new "norm" for established coaches, I think that way out paces the market for up and coming coaches. Here is a list of salaries for the coaches that made the Tourney this year. More than 40 of the 68 coaches made less than $2MM per year.
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

You have to look at which coaches contracts were signed within the last few years, and which are in P5 conferences...which Drew just signed up for. Non-P5 jobs aren't going to get $2mill a year like P5 jobs will.

The "new norm" obviously would not apply to guys who are coaching on long term contracts signed 3+ years ago.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I had a great offer to come to work for another company with a nice promotion and pay increase years ago. I was all set to move until the final interview with my potential new boss. That killed the deal. I wonder...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Well since you keep saying info is wrong you probably shouldn't listen...but anyways

Mack was 2.8 and he balked

I was actually referring to a certain someone that heads up a service correcting every national writer that Drew would be the guy...but hey...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Lets just go get Larranaga, Keatts or Rice and call it a day. I'm gun shy on Lonergan since he arguably has a comparable job now.

Tell the press, "meh, first guy lacked the chest to take on the GT job. Recruits, follow that limp noodle at your own risk!"

Now where do i cash my AD checks?

Gtmamn61

Georgia Tech Fan
Well since you keep saying info is wrong you probably shouldn't listen...but anyways

Mack was 2.8 and he balked

I've lost track of who all was contacted. Did we offer Mack and Archie Miller? Was the money in the same ballpark?