The Search

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Maybe we should just promote Coach Dollar and hire an assistant instead of Kelsey or Greenberg.
Actually, we should've counseled Dollar out and hired some fresh blood for in-state coverage & kept BG. I'd have actually been willing to suck that up if need be, rather than miss on this hire.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Sounds like vandy still deciding - Blatt was on campus, good for Bryce Drew to GT folks

I've heard from someone that Vandy is looking at outside the box solutions like NBA guys.

The thing that's tough about getting a bead on this Vandy situation is if they value Drew and are ready to move at the same level we are. He appears to be top 2 for us. Have they started a much more thorough & drawn out search?

Campbeae

Georgia Tech Fan
I've heard from someone that Vandy is looking at outside the box solutions like NBA guys.

The thing that's tough about getting a bead on this Vandy situation is if they value Drew and are ready to move at the same level we are. He appears to be top 2 for us. Have they started a much more thorough & drawn out search?

Hard to say, first bball search in 17 years, a lot of information out there but can verify that David Blatt was on campus getting tour of the facilities for what that is worth.

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
Just saw this in the comments section of Ken's article on AJC. 99% of the time these comments are worthless but this guy is so spot on with what he says about GT basketball, the media and really the athletic program in general. Which one of you guys is Dr. Truth? Lol

DrTruth 2 hours ago

No offense, but I'm sure Bobinski will be pleased to read something titled, "Evaluating whether Bryce Drew would come to Tech". Why not just say, "Why would any coach worth their salt ever want to coach at Georgia Tech?" I'll never understand why one of the premier academic & athletic institutions in this country must always be viewed as a beggar.

If you happen to be a GT Alum, congratulations because your degree has become worth even more over the years. In fact, GT is now the MOST selective public school in America: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-105-smartest-public-colleges-in-america-2015-9 That means kids are begging to get into GT, not the other way around. Out of more than 30,000 applicants, Admissions is targeting a 2016 Freshman Class of only 2,800.

And any coach who has to be "convinced" to leave a lower tier basketball conference to coach in the premier basketball league in the country deserves to stay exactly where he is. Not to take anything away from Bryce Drew who has obviously enjoyed some success....but your mid-major team just lost to another mid-major team in the title game of the Best of the Rest, not the Best of the Best. You've just hit your ceiling at Valpo.

And an SEC coach leaves to take an ACC job and somehow that SEC job is more attractive than another ACC opening?

Here's a thought. Why don't we read a piece called, "Why GT is a Dream Job for coaches smart enough to recognize the enormous opportunity"? I may not be an expert in these things....but I'm pretty sure if we keep telling the basketball world how GT has to beg coaches and recruits to come here, then we deserve exactly what we get.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Just saw this in the comments section of Ken's article on AJC. 99% of the time these comments are worthless but this guy is so spot on with what he says about GT basketball, the media and really the athletic program in general. Which one of you guys is Dr. Truth? Lol

DrTruth 2 hours ago

No offense, but I'm sure Bobinski will be pleased to read something titled, "Evaluating whether Bryce Drew would come to Tech". Why not just say, "Why would any coach worth their salt ever want to coach at Georgia Tech?" I'll never understand why one of the premier academic & athletic institutions in this country must always be viewed as a beggar.

If you happen to be a GT Alum, congratulations because your degree has become worth even more over the years. In fact, GT is now the MOST selective public school in America: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-105-smartest-public-colleges-in-america-2015-9 That means kids are begging to get into GT, not the other way around. Out of more than 30,000 applicants, Admissions is targeting a 2016 Freshman Class of only 2,800.

And any coach who has to be "convinced" to leave a lower tier basketball conference to coach in the premier basketball league in the country deserves to stay exactly where he is. Not to take anything away from Bryce Drew who has obviously enjoyed some success....but your mid-major team just lost to another mid-major team in the title game of the Best of the Rest, not the Best of the Best. You've just hit your ceiling at Valpo.

And an SEC coach leaves to take an ACC job and somehow that SEC job is more attractive than another ACC opening?

Here's a thought. Why don't we read a piece called, "Why GT is a Dream Job for coaches smart enough to recognize the enormous opportunity"? I may not be an expert in these things....but I'm pretty sure if we keep telling the basketball world how GT has to beg coaches and recruits to come here, then we deserve exactly what we get.
This has a lot of truth. And I will add if GT wants to be a player that matters in a power 5 conference, then some of those "one out of six" need to open their wallets and make GT a power 5 player.

bigsands

Jolly Good Fellow
Ce_IBayVIAAbr6v.jpg

The new coaching staff. (pic stolen from Kenny's twitter)

Ramblinwreck07

Jolly Good Fellow
Capel should be the #1 target, and it should be his job to turn down. He's been a head coach and been successful at a high major program. He's been the top assistant at an elite program, and primary recruiter for elite talent.

There's something to be said for falling flat on your face as a young head coach, and learning from that. He's been through the battles; he's made the mistakes, and he's had time under one of the premier coaches in college basketball history to learn from his setbacks and learn how to build a championship program.

2017 is a bumper class of talent in Georgia. We have 3 solid recruits hopefully coming in next year. It wouldn't take long for Capel to put Tech basketball back where we all expect it to be. Capel has instant credibility with recruits; he has the connections with the top AAU programs.

You cannot go wrong with Jeff Capel. There are many more question marks with Drew than with Capel. MBob needs to knock this one out of the park; Capel accomplishes that.

Unfortunately given the timing now, Drew has to be the guy. If it was Capel, an announcement would have already happened.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

DrTruth 2 hours ago

Thank you. Georgia Tech has a lot to sell. Prospective students get it. Somehow, many alumni DON'T.

I have been touring colleges with my son. GT is top notch in every respect. It is not the run down campus in the ghetto that it was in the '70s when I was there. The student retention rate and the course offerings are better than ever, and so are the academics. GT takes a back seat to NO ONE.

I post less and less because posters on this board and others say that we can't recruit because of academics. That's crap. The low self esteem of alumni and fans that leads to this excuse is disgusting. Yes, for some recruits, academics are a negative. For others, it's a positive. There are plenty of good athletes who are also good students. It takes work to find them and recruit them.

Our coaches in football and basketball need to work harder and be better salesmen. They have a great product to sell, but they are failing. The alumni and fans need to stop giving the coaches a pass and demand better from the President, the Athletic Board, and the AD.