The Search

LibertyTurns

Banned
Hallelujah! I was beginning to think we were dealing with the worst case scenario and or AD completely incompetent. Timing would make sense. NIT ends on Thurs, have to get home Fri then deliver the news to your soon to be old Boss, then get the contract signed or at least agreed to in principle with some sort of binder. Today was the absolute last day available to deliver a new coach where the evidence would have been compelling that we pulled the rip cord and forgot to pack the chute before we launched.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Kind of hilarious that people are STILL tweeting about Drew to Vanderbilt.

(y):censored:

image.jpeg

=

image.png

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Looks like we held off Vandy for Drew. I'm sure his wife being from ATL helped. I am happy with Drew. Will be very important he hires staff that can recruit ga. I expect he brings one from Valpo, hires a high school coach or former high school coach in ATL, possible tech alum, one more.
I think it was Capel and Drew the whole time but coach k really pushed Capel to stay and talks with Drew were very positive

Ramblinwreck07

Jolly Good Fellow
Not unhappy with Drew, but still think Capel was the best choice. Drew brings question marks about recruiting. I also don't like going back to the mid major level for a coach. Drew didn't put Valpo on the map; he's just continued what his dad built. I hope he can recruit and surrounds himself with top notch recruiters. I'll support him 100% and I hope he gets GT basketball back to where we expect, but I don't think this is the slam dunk hire we expected. I'm sure that sentiment won't go over well though.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Not unhappy with Drew, but still think Capel was the best choice. Drew beinga question marks about recruiting. I also don't like going back to the mid major level for a coach. Drew didn't put Valpo on the map; he's just continued what his dad built. I hope he can recruit and surrounds himself with top notch recruiters. I'll support him 100% and I hope he gets GT basketball back to where we expect, but I don't think this is the slam dunk hire we expected. I'm sure that sentiment won't go over well though.

I don't think you're in the majority but I think it's pretty much split 51-49. I was in the Drew camp. Was #2 for me behind Wade (on the realistic list) and tied with Enfield. I like Drews X's and O's and if he is able to staff his crew with certain people I think we can make a serious impact in to GA recruiting scene.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Not unhappy with Drew, but still think Capel was the best choice. Drew beinga question marks about recruiting. I also don't like going back to the mid major level for a coach. Drew didn't put Valpo on the map; he's just continued what his dad built. I hope he can recruit and surrounds himself with top notch recruiters. I'll support him 100% and I hope he gets GT basketball back to where we expect, but I don't think this is the slam dunk hire we expected. I'm sure that sentiment won't go over well though.
To be fair Homer was around .500 in his last 5 years and Drew has won at a .700 clip

Ramblinwreck07

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think you're in the majority but I think it's pretty much split 51-49. I was in the Drew camp. Was #2 for me behind Wade (on the realistic list) and tied with Enfield. I like Drews X's and O's and if he is able to staff his crew with certain people I think we can make a serious impact in to GA recruiting scene.

Agreed. But with Capel, you already have an elite recruiter that's been at an elite program. I just think there's too many question marks with Drew. He hasn't went to war night in and night out in the ACC. He hasn't been a part of a national title run. He hasn't been a part of the type of accomplishments we desire. I hope he gets it done. Ive been a Bryce Drew fan since The Shot, and we'll have to trust MBob on this one. I was just sold on Capel.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Capel intrigued me because our recruiting would have been on steroids. Recruiting makes up for a lot of X's and O's gaps. Questions from his exit at OU kinda left some marks.

Drew intrigued me because he had a really good record at Valpo. I thought Drew was the stronger pure coach between the two. His questions were recruiting in the South. He's considered a strong recruiter in the Midwest.

Certainly pluses and minuses for both. IMO, Bobinski ran a really good search this time around. Either guy would have been great get.