The Search

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Capel should be the #1 target, and it should be his job to turn down. He's been a head coach and been successful at a high major program. He's been the top assistant at an elite program, and primary recruiter for elite talent.

There's something to be said for falling flat on your face as a young head coach, and learning from that. He's been through the battles; he's made the mistakes, and he's had time under one of the premier coaches in college basketball history to learn from his setbacks and learn how to build a championship program.

2017 is a bumper class of talent in Georgia. We have 3 solid recruits hopefully coming in next year. It wouldn't take long for Capel to put Tech basketball back where we all expect it to be. Capel has instant credibility with recruits; he has the connections with the top AAU programs.

You cannot go wrong with Jeff Capel. There are many more question marks with Drew than with Capel. MBob needs to knock this one out of the park; Capel accomplishes that.

Unfortunately given the timing now, Drew has to be the guy. If it was Capel, an announcement would have already happened.
I'm not necessarily against Capel, but I don't think he's near the slam dunk hire you portray him to be.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Either Vandy is playing us big time, or Drew is playing us, but it appears Vandy is trending off him for their job. I think he is heading to ATL. Look for an announcement tomorrow.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I'm telling you GT and GTAA need a new marketing approach and they need to hire some non marketing people to be on the committee.

Our TV Ads that get played during athletic events on TV pale in comparison to almost every other schools. They do nothing to show how great all around tech is.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Thank you. Georgia Tech has a lot to sell. Prospective students get it. Somehow, many alumni DON'T.

I have been touring colleges with my son. GT is top notch in every respect. It is not the run down campus in the ghetto that it was in the '70s when I was there. The student retention rate and the course offerings are better than ever, and so are the academics. GT takes a back seat to NO ONE.

I post less and less because posters on this board and others say that we can't recruit because of academics. That's crap. The low self esteem of alumni and fans that leads to this excuse is disgusting. Yes, for some recruits, academics are a negative. For others, it's a positive. There are plenty of good athletes who are also good students. It takes work to find them and recruit them.

Our coaches in football and basketball need to work harder and be better salesmen. They have a great product to sell, but they are failing. The alumni and fans need to stop giving the coaches a pass and demand better from the President, the Athletic Board, and the AD.
I have to agree with this, especially the last paragraph. We continue to watch "the management" at Tech sit back and make poor decisions with the athletics and then here excuses about it is hard to recruit, etc. If it's that tough, then move on to another job. In any job, you need to be able to sell the program and that's what Cremins did when he got here. I will continue to get my season tickets but until I see some real change I'm backing off my annual donations to GT athletics. MBob better get this decision right. Problem is I think Peterson is steering the ship and could care less about athletics.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
"...posters on this board and others say that we can't recruit because of academics. That's crap."

Good point. Amaker at Harvard has recruited two 4 star players from Georgia this cycle, Chris Lewis and Robert Baker.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
"...posters on this board and others say that we can't recruit because of academics. That's crap."

Good point. Amaker at Harvard has recruited two 4 star players from Georgia this cycle, Chris Lewis and Robert Baker.
Solomon Poole was also a 4 star, who Gregory recruited.

AKA - stars mean nothing until you do something at the college level.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Thank you. Georgia Tech has a lot to sell. Prospective students get it. Somehow, many alumni DON'T.

I have been touring colleges with my son. GT is top notch in every respect. It is not the run down campus in the ghetto that it was in the '70s when I was there. The student retention rate and the course offerings are better than ever, and so are the academics. GT takes a back seat to NO ONE.

I post less and less because posters on this board and others say that we can't recruit because of academics. That's crap. The low self esteem of alumni and fans that leads to this excuse is disgusting. Yes, for some recruits, academics are a negative. For others, it's a positive. There are plenty of good athletes who are also good students. It takes work to find them and recruit them.

Our coaches in football and basketball need to work harder and be better salesmen. They have a great product to sell, but they are failing. The alumni and fans need to stop giving the coaches a pass and demand better from the President, the Athletic Board, and the AD.

then i volunteer you to be our grand pooba of gt recruiting. we will become a top 25 program. youll do so well we will pay you millions and we will make 10's of millions with your recruits. win win.

anybody else? ;)

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Umm ... Duke, Carolina et al say hello. Yep there exceptions but I will take 4/5 star kids in basketball over diamonds in the rough any day.

We're where we're at due to a combination of Solomon Poole & diamonds in the rough.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I'm telling you GT and GTAA need a new marketing approach and they need to hire some non marketing people to be on the committee.

Our TV Ads that get played during athletic events on TV pale in comparison to almost every other schools. They do nothing to show how great all around tech is.

Just have a Georgia Tech grad throwing up $100 bills with the fight song playing in the back ground. Then flash across the screen 1-6 become millionaires. That should be solid enough

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Whether you like the guy or not, if we get beat out by Vanderbilt for a coach we want, we've got serious issues.
Or, you could make the case that the guy doesn't think he can compete with all the ACC HOF coaches...hence he's not the right guy.

Last edited:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Link

Patient Tech search has third candidate, Bryce Drew - "Bobinski has been running the search within a tight circle. The school hired a search firm, DHR international in Chicago, for a fee of $70,000, but Bobinski said that he would rely on it mostly for logistical matters and not to provide names."

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I can't read the link. Is he suggesting there may be a new name in the search, or that a deal may have been reached with someone?
KQ is always reaching for new paid readers, so that may be all it is. But here is what he said, "Rumors pointing toward a new basketball coach for #GaTech"