The Search

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
Perhaps it is just gold colored glasses for me but I don't see the Basketball team and the Football team the same. I don't believe that the Football team can be a dominant force year in and year out due to the academic hurdles and having to have 85+ guys that can handle that. I do however believe that the Basketball team can be that though. We really only need 7 or 8 guys that can handle the academic work load of GT, these would be the guys who play all 4 or 5 years. Mix in a couple of one and dones every year with the core guys and you can have a very good basketball team. I know some will say that cheapens what GT is about, student first, but in the current landscape of college basketball it is necessary.

Any coach that can come in and recruit the state of Georgia be a decent X's and O's coach can have amazing success here. We are in the best conference in the country, in one of the best cities in the country. If a coach can come in here and be successful there should be no better in the country than GT.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Here's my hot take on Capel:

Who cares if he's from Duke? Who cares if he leaves after 4-5 years to succeed Coach K? There's really only one scenario under which that happens: he is successful here. And if he's successful here and leaves, guess what? We would have zero financial hindrances and the state of the program becomes much more attractive to go out and get another hot coach that maybe we couldn't have gotten this go-round due to certain circumstances. Not to mention I would enjoy the hell out of those 4-5 years competing in the league and the dance, all the while bringing in top-tier talent.

I'm not convinced that he's the guy to bring this program back to the top third of the ACC consistently, but he gives us a much better shot than some of the other options out there. Idk what's going to happen, but the rationale behind not wanting to hire this guy because he may leave in half a decade is silly (IMO).

ima gonna disagree with you. there is a lot to be said for continuity. A WHOLE LOT.

1.) very seldom does a program not dip when a coaching change is made for any reason. i dont want any more dips for awhile. we have had our share of dips lately. 'phewitt intended.' heh.
2. if a successful coach leaves that does not guarantee that the next coach will be successful.
3) if the coach is successful here why would you take the attitude that your ok if he leaves in 4-5 years? that just seems so sooo foreign to me. im a 'loyalty means something' kinda guy.

not saying im right or your wrong. heh. just my thought process.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
3) if the coach is successful here why would you take the attitude that your ok if he leaves in 4-5 years? that just seems so sooo foreign to me. im a 'loyalty means something' kinda guy.

Because the realistic worst case scenario for a guy leaving in 4-5 years of his own volition is that he had a lot of success here and would be leaving a program with a good level of talent, good recent history of success, and no financial constraints, and actually if he is hired away then he'll be paying the school to leave, putting us in a great position. If you're turning away a guy because you are afraid of that then you're cutting off the nose to spite the face.

And the "loyalty means something" is really "loyalty to GT means something". I doubt you would look at Drew leaving Valpo as him being disloyal.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
You can be incompetent at a lot of different levels before you rise to a position where you're incompetent as the "top guy". Many of the lower positions the snake oil guys job hop so fast their poor decisions never catch up with them. When you're finally the AD, your decisions are out there for the world to see and judge. I'm not sure the jury's out on our AD but if he's been sniffing around since January AND if the target is not Drew, then I think that says something about how good an AD we've got. I certainly would not have pulled the eject handle without a parachute but I'm a conservative leader by nature. We will see how this plays out. Maybe our AD is crazy like a fox? Let's all hope so.

Your response basically proved my point. You are under the assumption that there are a lot of snake oil salesman as AD's, which in reality is not true.. they just tend to make the news more.

"AND if the target is not Drew, then I think that says something about how good an AD we've got."

??

This is exactly my point. You are fixated on one guy and are willing to say the AD is horrible because he doesn't hire one random guy that someone on twitter somewhere said should be a candidate and now everyone is jumping on board. He may very well be the target, but that comment makes no sense to me.

Bobinski is a basketball guy and has his first chance at a basketball hire. Let's see what he can do.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Your response basically proved my point. You are under the assumption that there are a lot of snake oil salesman as AD's, which in reality is not true.. they just tend to make the news more.

"AND if the target is not Drew, then I think that says something about how good an AD we've got."

??

This is exactly my point. You are fixated on one guy and are willing to say the AD is horrible because he doesn't hire one random guy that someone on twitter somewhere said should be a candidate and now everyone is jumping on board. He may very well be the target, but that comment makes no sense to me.

Bobinski is a basketball guy and has his first chance at a basketball hire. Let's see what he can do.

This is me assuming, apologies if I'm wrong. A lot of people here tend to think that this move has been in the works since last year when we were unable to make a move and that this move was made with progress with a candidate already established. At this point since a hire has not been made, one would assume that the progress would be made with the best possible coach who is realistic. That points to Drew. If it's not Drew then some would assume we have a poor AD flying by the seat of his pants with our beloved program when in reality it more than likely proves that a certain group of people may have given someone an ultimatum and now that person is making a change to save his skin.

Lot of assuming. If it turns out not to be Drew I'm going to draw the ultimatum conclusion.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
ima gonna disagree with you. there is a lot to be said for continuity. A WHOLE LOT.

1.) very seldom does a program not dip when a coaching change is made for any reason. i dont want any more dips for awhile. we have had our share of dips lately. 'phewitt intended.' heh.
2. if a successful coach leaves that does not guarantee that the next coach will be successful.

not saying im right or your wrong. heh. just my thought process.

This is another huge misconception that fan bases have. Do you guys know the numbers on tenured coaches? Out of 350+ schools only 50 or so have had coaches that have stayed at a school for 10 years or more. Here are the stats: http://www.syracuse.com/patrick-ste...rom_no_1_syracuses_jim_boeheim_to_no_351.html

A coach leaving for another job (and leaving that job on Good terms) is an extremely healthy situation for a school. An amazing example is the three school triangle last year.

Shaka Smart leaves VCU for Texas
Will Wade Leaves UTC for VCU
Matt McCall gets first HC gig for UTC

(even Rick Barnes landed on his feet at the other UT).

Will Wade never won his conference at UTC. First year he leaves and UTC wins their conference, Wade leads VCU to the second day of the tournament and Texas gets beaten at the buzzer in the NCAA.

All programs are better off. Let's stop this notion that a coach has to stay somewhere 20+ years to be successful, there are other ways to make it happen.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

The unfortunate reality is that Dook is the type of job any coach would leave for. Even the great Bryce Drew could be lured by Dook- Coach K makes almost 8 million a year. We will never pay a coach half of that no matter how many final fours he makes. I'd say that if your coach leaves for Dook , Kansas, UCLA, Kentucky, or Mich. St., you really can't be upset or insulted (unless he leaves one of those schools for another), maybe add AZ and Louisville to the list. all of those schools can pay outrageous money if they want (except maybe UCLA). The point is that the issue of a coach leaving for Dook or Kansas could come up anywhere, ask Illinois, Memphis, New MExico, etc. The Celtics might be in that same boat if the Dook job opens. If that issue arises, it means you have picked a great coach and should be happy with your AD.

Lets pray for that problem.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
This is me assuming, apologies if I'm wrong. A lot of people here tend to think that this move has been in the works since last year when we were unable to make a move and that this move was made with progress with a candidate already established. At this point since a hire has not been made, one would assume that the progress would be made with the best possible coach who is realistic. That points to Drew. If it's not Drew then some would assume we have a poor AD flying by the seat of his pants with our beloved program when in reality it more than likely proves that a certain group of people may have given someone an ultimatum and now that person is making a change to save his skin.

Lot of assuming. If it turns out not to be Drew I'm going to draw the ultimatum conclusion.

haha that's my point though. Living on an assumption and being mad at the outcome if it doesn't line up with said assumption is extremely counterproductive

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Good read. Like the thoughts. We should 100% not retain Chad Dollar. That comment is just Ken showing us he doesn't know **** about the local scene.

Charlton Young is unlikely, but there will be multiple guys with strong local ties vying for an asst spot and no doubt that someone will get one. 1st thing we need to figure out this summer is if Justin Forrest has the grades for GT and offer him. He's #15 with a bullet in HoopSeen's Georgia 2017 Rankings and LIGHTS IT UP from 3.

The thought process is correct, the players will likely be different.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't favor Drew or Capel. Each would be very good for GT for different reasons. Circumstantial evidence (Drew still coaching in the NIT...and GT still with no coach) leads me to believe he's our guy if he wants to come here. I could be totally wrong, but quite a few GT "insiders" have indicated there's a lot of smoke behind the Drew rumors.

Of course, there could be another door no one even thought to open and investigate and our future coach could be standing behind it.

I think a lot will be cleared up after tonight, and things will definitely accelerate in one direction.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't favor Drew or Capel. Each would be very good for GT for different reasons. Circumstantial evidence (Drew still coaching in the NIT...and GT still with no coach) leads me to believe he's our guy if he wants to come here. I could be totally wrong, but quite a few GT "insiders" have indicated there's a lot of smoke behind the Drew rumors.

Of course, there could be another door no one even thought to open and investigate and our future coach could be standing behind it.

I think a lot will be cleared up after tonight, and things will definitely accelerate in one direction.

Since we are making assumptions I am willing to assume we may be interested in Drew in as far as an interview at the least. Don't think it applies he is our man. Would be smart of Bob to interview everyone he is interested in even if he has a different number 1.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone have insight into the the other NIT Final coach, Mike Lonergan? I've seen his name casually mentioned but no real thoughts about him.

He certainly has a good record everywhere he has been.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
So DaBiz and KQ both thinks it's Drew. Someone has been pushing drew hard amongst the GT insiders. I'm not so sure he's our guy. I do know this- the Vandy AD is in New York today. Regardless I think we hear something tomorrow as stuff leaks

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Since we are making assumptions I am willing to assume we may be interested in Drew in as far as an interview at the least. Don't think it applies he is our man. Would be smart of Bob to interview everyone he is interested in even if he has a different number 1.

That's fair. I just think if MBob was looking at other candidates or leaning towards someone else, we'd already have our coach. Outside of Drew, every coach tied to this job is free to interview and accept or decline. No one has any obligations. At this point, for various reasons (recruiting, hiring assistants, possibly landing transfers, etc) time is of the essence. That GT has no coach right now says something...at least to me. And it's not because GT is getting turned down left and right.

Look at another rumored guy: Chris Mack of Xavier. It's been widely reported we discussed the job with him (which is different from actually being offered the job), and he politely declined. I think if Mack was interested, he'd be GT's coach already.

I think GT has put in feelers to Drew's people, and both parties have mutual interest. I doubt MBob would wait this long for a coach to finish the NIT without getting an indication from a potential target whether they were interested in the first place. Makes no sense to wait this long just to "talk". Doesn't mean he will be our guy...but I think GT not making any waves so far in the coaching front means something in regards to Drew.

Of course, like I said, there could be someone no one has even thought of. I'm just piecing together the circumstantial evidence that we know 1. Drew is a candidate, and 2. GT has waited this long without naming anyone when time is of the essence. With respect to Capel, the longer we go, the less likely it is in my opinion that he's our guy. If he's MBob's choice, he'd already be our guy if Capel wanted GT.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
That's fair. I just think if MBob was looking at other candidates or leaning towards someone else, we'd already have our coach. Outside of Drew, every coach tied to this job is free to interview and accept or decline. No one has any obligations. At this point, for various reasons (recruiting, hiring assistants, possibly landing transfers, etc) time is of the essence. That GT has no coach right now says something...at least to me. And it's not because GT is getting turned down left and right.

Look at another rumored guy: Chris Mack of Xavier. It's been widely reported we discussed the job with him (which is different from actually being offered the job), and he politely declined. I think if Mack was interested, he'd be GT's coach already.

I think GT has put in feelers to Drew's people, and both parties have mutual interest. I doubt MBob would wait this long for a coach to finish the NIT without getting an indication from a potential target whether they were interested in the first place. Makes no sense to wait this long just to "talk". Doesn't mean he will be our guy...but I think GT not making any waves so far in the coaching front means something in regards to Drew.

Of course, like I said, there could be someone no one has even thought of. I'm just piecing together the circumstantial evidence that we know 1. Drew is a candidate, and 2. GT has waited this long without naming anyone when time is of the essence. With respect to Capel, the longer we go, the less likely it is in my opinion that he's our guy. If he's MBob's choice, he'd already be our guy if Capel wanted GT.

I agree with you that Drew is a candidate and even that Bob/Drew probably have mutual interest. I guess all I'm saying is that I don't think it rules out Capel (or someone else) as being number 1. He probably wants to talk to Drew before making a decision either way.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you that Drew is a candidate and even that Bob/Drew probably have mutual interest. I guess all I'm saying is that I don't think it rules out Capel (or someone else) as being number 1. He probably wants to talk to Drew before making a decision either way.

The only thing that puts doubt in my mind that Capel is "number 1" is if both GT and Capel were interested, he'd be GT's coach right now. There's nothing in the way of both parties coming to an agreement like there is with the NIT with Drew. It's been a few days now since the Capel rumors broke, it wouldn't take long if Capel was our first choice. No need in waiting for choice #2 if choice #1 is there for the taking. For all we know, Capel could have been #1 and already turned us down. Like I said, just my belief that the longer this process plays out, the less like Capel is our guy.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
The only thing that puts doubt in my mind that Capel is "number 1" is if both GT and Capel were interested, he'd be GT's coach right now. There's nothing in the way of both parties coming to an agreement like there is with the NIT with Drew. It's been a few days now since the Capel rumors broke, it wouldn't take long if Capel was our first choice. No need in waiting for choice #2 if choice #1 is there for the taking. For all we know, Capel could have been #1 and already turned us down. Like I said, just my belief that the longer this process plays out, the less like Capel is our guy.

Can't argue with your logic, just am trying to be open because I can imagine the backlash this weekend if Drew isn't hired and I wouldn't understand the reasoning behind that.