The Search

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
It was well known that Kyle Smith was leaving Columbia to take the San Francisco job before Columbia was done playing. I'm guessing GT could have interviewed Drew already as well. Are we assuming that the deal is already done and just waiting to be announced or that there has been no interview yet?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Can't argue with your logic, just am trying to be open because I can imagine the backlash this weekend if Drew isn't hired and I wouldn't understand the reasoning behind that.

LOL...I'm certain there are some dead set on Drew and will lose their minds if he doesn't get named.

I'm more than OK with Drew or Capel. In all honesty, Larranaga might be a pretty good choice as well given how highly he's thought of on the pro level.

I'm keeping an open mind about it...unless it's a retread ala Kevin Stallings.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
LOL...I'm certain there are some dead set on Drew and will lose their minds if he doesn't get named.

I'm more than OK with Drew or Capel. In all honesty, Larranaga might be a pretty good choice as well given how highly he's thought of on the pro level.

I'm keeping an open mind about it...unless it's a retread ala Kevin Stallings.

I think we are in the same mindset though. In all honesty the assistant coach in charge of Atlanta recruiting may be the most important hire of them all.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The only thing that puts doubt in my mind that Capel is "number 1" is if both GT and Capel were interested, he'd be GT's coach right now. There's nothing in the way of both parties coming to an agreement like there is with the NIT with Drew.

This is flawed thinking imo. Sometimes contracts get worked out quickly. Sometimes they take a bit of time. It could be that K, trying to convince him to stay, told him to take a couple of days to think about it, and we didn't really need an answer earlier in the week. It could be he wants to get in contact with Duke recruits, let them know, and try and convince them to stay committed. There are really any number of reasons why he could be number 1 choice and we are still waiting. Hell it could be we put out an offer and told him we'd need an answer by friday/saturday/whenever.

It may or may not be Capel, but I wouldn't draw any conclusions on who it is, or who is number 1, from the fact we didn't get anything finalized within a week of firing our previous coach.

MTrain94

Georgia Tech Fan
Drew would be outstanding. Coaching pedigree is great. His brother has really recruited well at Baylor. Seems like he would adjust to Atlanta. Does not mean he is his brother, but I think he has a track record coaching and would have a vision for recruiting to GT. The other NIT finalist is Lonergan. Averaging well more than 20 wins a season at Vermont and GW, so he would also not appear to be a bad choice. Capel has been well discussed and a good candidate for all the reasons listed previously. Believe a good hire is coming. MBob knows basketball.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I just hope it happens before I go out of the country on Sunday. I'll be without internet for a week and this will be driving me crazy. Well at least a little crazy hopefully I'll be relaxing. :)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is flawed thinking imo. Sometimes contracts get worked out quickly. Sometimes they take a bit of time. It could be that K, trying to convince him to stay, told him to take a couple of days to think about it, and we didn't really need an answer earlier in the week. It could be he wants to get in contact with Duke recruits, let them know, and try and convince them to stay committed. There are really any number of reasons why he could be number 1 choice and we are still waiting. Hell it could be we put out an offer and told him we'd need an answer by friday/saturday/whenever.

It may or may not be Capel, but I wouldn't draw any conclusions on who it is, or who is number 1, from the fact we didn't get anything finalized within a week of firing our previous coach.

That's all true. Just my rationale that it's better to get into a job and start getting out to recruits and putting together a staff than wait around mulling over a job. Capel has been coaching under Coach K in the ACC for 5 years now. I'm certain he knows a lot about to GT through other coaches and recruting after all those years that it wouldn't take a few days to decide on whether he wants to take this job.

Not saying I'm right...just trying to flesh out my thinking on why Capel may or may not be our guy.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Not saying it should take so long but, Hewitt was fired march 12th, Gregory was hired March 28th, things don't always move so fast, but could be in the works.

And look how well that turned out!!!

Haha. I kid I kid......kind of. Hated that hire since March 27th......

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If Byrce Drew is the next coach, It would be great to try and see if he can bring Charlton Young back to GT. He could/should be the Atlanta connection.
There are other hungry young assistants out there with very good ties in Atlanta. Charlton Young makes a lot at FSU & may not make the most sense.

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
I just hope it happens before I go out of the country on Sunday. I'll be without internet for a week and this will be driving me crazy. Well at least a little crazy hopefully I'll be relaxing. :)

Not to worry. With all of the focus that the GT coaching search has warranted, when the hiring actually takes place, it'll be international news. You'll just need to turn on the TV.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I'd love it if we could pry Larry Krystkowiak from Utah. Very small chance. It's depressing that Utah can pay a guy like Krystkowiak 2.5 mil/year for the next 7 years and we may have to settle. At this point I'm just throwing new names out there, it seems we've been regurgitating the same three/four names over and over. Would Fran McCaffery bail on his extension? Ugh I'm reaching.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Are we pulling for Valpo tonight? I think so. I don't think the outcome of tonight's game will have any impact on the coaching decision (or Valpo's efforts to keep him), and winning a tournament like that would be good experience for him. Season is over either way this evening. Go fighting Drews!

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I'd love it if we could pry Larry Krystkowiak from Utah. Very small chance. It's depressing that Utah can pay a guy like Krystkowiak 2.5 mil/year for the next 7 years and we may have to settle. At this point I'm just throwing new names out there, it seems we've been regurgitating the same three/four names over and over. Would Fran McCaffery bail on his extension? Ugh I'm reaching.

I'm BIG on LK. But he is 100% West Coast guy.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Are we pulling for Valpo tonight? I think so. I don't think the outcome of tonight's game will have any impact on the coaching decision (or Valpo's efforts to keep him), and winning a tournament like that would be good experience for him. Season is over either way this evening. Go fighting Drews!

Well, I'll have to check, but I do believe we as a fanbase changed it a couple years so you can pull for whoever you want.

But seriously, I don't think it matters either way so I don't really care who wins.

LibertyTurns

Banned
"AND if the target is not Drew, then I think that says something about how good an AD we've got."

??

This is exactly my point. You are fixated on one guy and are willing to say the AD is horrible because he doesn't hire one random guy that someone on twitter somewhere said should be a candidate and now everyone is jumping on board. He may very well be the target, but that comment makes no sense to me.
The point is our AD said he's been looking since January. If this process has been going on for 2+ months and he has yet to reach an agreement with ANY of his top choices then you think he's a capable AD? I say he is a bad businessman, negotiator, leader, etc if that is the case as he's been unable to sell our job to anyone worth having it.

The only remaining option for the delay is it's someone in the midst of a title run. I thin we can safely say that title run is not the NCAAT but is the NIT. OK, might not be Drew but the other guy. All I'm saying is the AD has 1 more excuse left.

The fact of the matter is there's talent that needs to be recruited in a robust class of recruits that many happen to be located nearby. It is of the utmost urgency to hire a great coach, get staffed and bag the recruits we so desperately need to revitalize our program. It's about as simple as that.

If we fail, standby for years more misery. I for one love GT sports and want us to excel. I'm fearful we're failing particularly given our current leadership's propensity to mismanage the business. Hope I'm wrong. Would love to be eating crow by this weekend.