The Search

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
One question I haven't seen posed - why do we think Drew will not use GT as a stepping stone?

I've come around to being comfortable with him or Capel being successful in doing so. It'll mean GT is left with a solid-to-great squad, no buy-out, and money to spend.

When has a basketball coach ever used GT as a stepping stone?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
When has a basketball coach ever used GT as a stepping stone?
Interesting question. I'll reply with two thoughts...

1) How often has a coach been successful enough at GT to do so? The answer puts things in perspective and isn't that fun to think about.

2) Many think Capel could go to Duke. Not out of the realm of possibility. Drew or any candidate could use it as a launching pad for the NBA. I would love to be that successful.

3) Hewitt used his early success at GT as a stepping stone to an absurd contract that cripples us even to this day.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
One question I haven't seen posed - why do we think Drew will not use GT as a stepping stone?

I've come around to being comfortable with him or Capel being successful in doing so. It'll mean GT is left with a solid-to-great squad, no buy-out, and money to spend.

I honestly don't see either using GT as a stepping stone to a college job.

With Capel, people are afraid he'd take the Duke job. IMO if he wants the Duke job he won't take a HC job before it. If he does take another job with the intention of bolting to Duke after K retires, I think he'll stay out of the ACC as per K's, alleged, preferences. IMO if Capel comes here it means he doesn't want to be the guy who follows K, and if he bolts it will be years down the road after the guy who comes after K gets let go. But with what Duke has to offer who knows.

As far as Drew using GT as a stepping stone job, I just don't see it. If he leaves his alma matter where his family has reached legendary status to come here, I don't see a dream job taking him away. Maybe Indiana?

NBA is an entirely different factor and I don't worry about it.

And I'm also completely okay with a coach coming in here, doing well enough to get attention from a blue chip program, and leaving us. Hell If Hewitt had been hired away after Jack left, he would have been the perfect hire. If the next coach leaves us in a position of having talent, a history of recent success, and no buyout to pay, then sign me up.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I think the right guy could stay put for a long time. I'm not saying he'll be the next coach K, but I think we could get someone like Bill self that might want to stay for a long time. We're in the ACC, have good facilities, and you have ATL and the state of GA to recruit. If you get the train rolling I don't think there are many jobs that would be better unless you wanted to move to the NBA.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Interesting question. I'll reply with two thoughts...

1) How often has a coach been successful enough at GT to do so? The answer puts things in perspective and isn't that fun to think about.

2) Many think Capel could go to Duke. Not out of the realm of possibility. Drew or any candidate could use it as a launching pad for the NBA. I would love to be that successful.

3) Hewitt used his early success at GT as a stepping stone to an absurd contract that cripples us even to this day.

Cremins was one of the biggest names in coaching from '85 - '96. Other than the alma mater incident, which obviously had nothing to do with trying to get a better job, he wasn't looking to change.

As far as leaving for the NBA or a college losing its mind and paying someone crazy money, that's possible pretty much anywhere. GT isn't a second rate job.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
If the next coach has success then the stepping stone possibility or most anything else becomes a high quality problem

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Cremins was one of the biggest names in coaching from '85 - '96. Other than the alma mater incident, which obviously had nothing to do with trying to get a better job, he wasn't looking to change.

As far as leaving for the NBA or a college losing its mind and paying someone crazy money, that's possible pretty much anywhere. GT isn't a second rate job.
I'm with you mostly. Pointing out Cremins, and Cremins only, kind of reinforces my point about the success we've had at GT in general, unless there are others that you left out of the post.

I think we're somewhat biased about GT's place in the landscape as of today. Many make the case GT is similar to, say, Illinois. Bill Self proved it's possible to upgrade.

Point I was making is I don't think the stepping stone concept should sway the decision on Capel vs. Drew. It should be < 1% of the decision criteria. If it is part of the criteria, I think some are reconsidering whether it's a pro or a con. Many here , imo, were suggesting earlier that it was a con for Capel. And we're going on different assumptions re: Drew's motivations.

Talking about stepping stones also sets ourselves up to be disappointed by the great possibility that someone is just a good or potentially bad coach, no matter who it is.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer

well i just have that impression about drew. to be honest i know little to nothing about capel other than what i see yuse guys post. from what i have seen he has had mediocre results.... and yes i know you cant compare their respective situations. stand alone he has not been spectacular.

i just cant believe for a second that if he is successful here he will be deemed heir apparent to coachk by coachk himself. i guess what i am trying to say is imo capel is more likely to leave than drew.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
well if it is drew we should know something by this weekend. any coach would want the opportunity to break the news to his players before the announcement is made public.

if it was capel we would know by now as his season is over with. i cant see anything but drew happening unless vanderbilt hires him first. nahhhhh. acc rulz

things are fixing to get exciting around here regardless of who our new coach is. i would be interested to see how well capel does at gt.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm with you mostly. Pointing out Cremins, and Cremins only, kind of reinforces my point about the success we've had at GT in general, unless there are others that you left out of the post.

I think we're somewhat biased about GT's place in the landscape as of today. Many make the case GT is similar to, say, Illinois. Bill Self proved it's possible to upgrade.

Point I was making is I don't think the stepping stone concept should sway the decision on Capel vs. Drew. It should be < 1% of the decision criteria. If it is part of the criteria, I think some are reconsidering whether it's a pro or a con. Many here , imo, were suggesting earlier that it was a con for Capel. And we're going on different assumptions re: Drew's motivations.

Talking about stepping stones also sets ourselves up to be disappointed by the great possibility that someone is just a good or potentially bad coach, no matter who it is.

I understand your primary point and apologize for the semi-threadjack. However, I think GT fans sell the job short rather than the other way around.

Cremins and Hewitt cover 31 years. No one was coming for the last guy. During the modern era of college basketball (from about '79) GT had a guy pretty much anyone would have wanted (until his last four years) and then another considered an up and comer (for his first five years) and they didn't leave.

GT and Illinois are separated by location. GT and Illinois are in top conferences, have won before, can win again, etc. Atlanta >>>>> Champaign

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Here's my hot take on Capel:

Who cares if he's from Duke? Who cares if he leaves after 4-5 years to succeed Coach K? There's really only one scenario under which that happens: he is successful here. And if he's successful here and leaves, guess what? We would have zero financial hindrances and the state of the program becomes much more attractive to go out and get another hot coach that maybe we couldn't have gotten this go-round due to certain circumstances. Not to mention I would enjoy the hell out of those 4-5 years competing in the league and the dance, all the while bringing in top-tier talent.

I'm not convinced that he's the guy to bring this program back to the top third of the ACC consistently, but he gives us a much better shot than some of the other options out there. Idk what's going to happen, but the rationale behind not wanting to hire this guy because he may leave in half a decade is silly (IMO).

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm happy to concede the Duke guy if everyone would cut the crap with Georgetown and UConnvict guys as well. Thanks.

ollie is a good coach dude....its not cutting crap its just i think he is a good coach. I know your big east ties from the old days may stale you.

LibertyTurns

Banned
For all of the crap we usually give ADs a lot of them are pretty smart and understand the hiring process. It would be extremely shocking if he only has 1 option and 1 option only. Everything is fine. We like to overreact.
You can be incompetent at a lot of different levels before you rise to a position where you're incompetent as the "top guy". Many of the lower positions the snake oil guys job hop so fast their poor decisions never catch up with them. When you're finally the AD, your decisions are out there for the world to see and judge. I'm not sure the jury's out on our AD but if he's been sniffing around since January AND if the target is not Drew, then I think that says something about how good an AD we've got. I certainly would not have pulled the eject handle without a parachute but I'm a conservative leader by nature. We will see how this plays out. Maybe our AD is crazy like a fox? Let's all hope so.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
ollie is a good coach dude....its not cutting crap its just i think he is a good coach. I know your big east ties from the old days may stale you.
33... I'm just messing... schools are basically UGA and Duke bball from my perspective.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Ollie is UConn, NBA or bust though. Wouldn't be surprised to see him succeed Donovan at OKC sooner than later.

Agree he'd probably do better than any of the guys we're looking at though.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Interesting Forest quotes which some of already brought up:

“There’s just too many kids coming out of Atlanta that’s not coming to Georgia Tech,” Forrest said. “There’s just too many.”

“You’ve got to understand that we’re from that era when a top-five kid’s coming out of Georgia, they’re coming to Georgia Tech,” he said.

Maybe why a great recruiter can get GT back to top 4 ACC status sooner than later. Also, fits into the appeal of Capel.