The Search

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Haha, I mean the guy can recruit and GT is a heck of a better job than Auburn. Maybe not the highest character person in the world, which I guess would be the problem.
I'm not even sure he's a low character person, but the fact he got caught doing something gets us sideways with him as a candidate.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Can we steal Pearl from Auburn?

I remember him having a weekly appearances on 790theZone during Hewitt's tenure. Always making veiled inferences at how great Atlanta was and how GT is in a prime position, blah, blah, blah.

I think he'd crawl over hot broken glass to get here but I doubt we'd want him. And I'm ok with that. He's a snake-oil salesman. We'd just be waiting for the other shoe to drop. Considering we're apparently the whipping boy when Duke/UNC get investigated, no way we can afford to have a known-offender like Pearl here.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Flashback

Peacone36:"I'd like to see Ben Howland"

image.jpeg

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
Due process is a real thing, btw. Just because he is waiting for the NIT to end (an assumption everyone is making) to (presumably) contact Drew, you know he can still do that with someone else being his number 1? It makes sense to give everyone a shot before making a decision.

For all of the crap we usually give ADs a lot of them are pretty smart and understand the hiring process. It would be extremely shocking if he only has 1 option and 1 option only. Everything is fine. We like to overreact.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
Also I'm interested to hear why everyone all of a sudden is pro Drew? Not against him, but it's funny how one comment can make everyone completely change their opinions. Plus it's always hard to get someone to leave their alma mater (although in this case he's already left his legacy so he could be pulled away).

[Interesting note, every year Valpo has won their conference, a Drew has been in charge].

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I listened to an interview with M Bob on 680 the day Gregory was let go, and they asked him about recouping some of the salary with the right hire. He agreed with that sentiment, so I took that to mean he would be willing to spend more with the expectation of it leading to more revenue as the wins start coming.

He expects revenue to increase to some degree with the excitement from a coaching change, prior to any wins. How much bump GT gets from it is arguable
Howland is a **** and his players hated him. Great coach, but I wouldn't back him.

Exactly.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Also I'm interested to hear why everyone all of a sudden is pro Drew? Not against him, but it's funny how one comment can make everyone completely change their opinions. Plus it's always hard to get someone to leave their alma mater (although in this case he's already left his legacy so he could be pulled away).

[Interesting note, every year Valpo has won their conference, a Drew has been in charge].

Not sure everyone is pro-Drew necessarily. Folks probably just picking sides under the assumption that the 2 "known" names are out there. What comment are you referring to, btw?

I agree it'll be hard to pull him from Valpo. His brother left but circumstances may have been different for him?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm for landing a coach that I think is going to put us on more pathways to success and not see us play ourselves. I'm all in favor of Drew and, despite my massive distaste for all things dook, I'd be all in for Capel as well. I'd also be happy with Keatts, Holtmann, & Lonergan, in that order.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
Not sure everyone is pro-Drew necessarily. Folks probably just picking sides under the assumption that the 2 "known" names are out there. What comment are you referring to, btw?

I agree it'll be hard to pull him from Valpo. His brother left but circumstances may have been different for him?

I guess my point is that we tend to create our own stories and then get disappointed when they don't come to fruition. There is a very high probability that nobody we are talking about is the front runner. Open-mindedness is important for a fan base during a coaching search. No matter who is hired it will be a big challenge but one we need to show up to the stadium and support no matter how bad the team next year.

But RE: Drew we don't really know anything about him recruiting wise. He is at a high-mid major program and he gets to choose anyone he wants that doesn't fall into the P5 recruiting trail. I think he's just as much of an unknown as he is a slam-dunk. I think he'd be a good hire, but he isn't any different from the other options out there imo.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, Vandy article crushes Capel and suggests the "source" linking him to Vandy and GT jobs is most likely Capel's agent: http://www.anchorofgold.com/2016/3/...basketball-coaching-search-sources-jeff-capel

I agree with that Vandy writer. If Capel/Vandy/GT all had interest, a decision would have been made by now and either GT or Vandy would be looking elsewhere. I wrote earlier that Capel's people are using GT and Vandy for leverage...and it may not be for either job as @dtm1997 surmises. Unlike Drew, Capel has nothing keeping him talking to either school and coming to terms...or saying "Thanks, but no thanks...". It doesn't take 3+ days to figure out if you're interested in a job...these things actually move pretty fast once both sides meet. The longer both teams takes, the less likely it's Capel, IMHO.

WreckedbyWhiskey

Georgia Tech Fan
Don't post much, more of a reader, but we can't go wrong w/ either prospect. If I'm being honest, Capel is truly the big name here that will give us the "splash" we're looking for. Just my personal opinion.

If we go w/ Capel...
  • Recruiting will never be an issue and we'll be back to recruiting the top talent in the country
  • I have no doubt that he'll elevate our program (dare I say higher than Drew could)
  • Even if he leaves for dook, he'll leave our program in very good position to gain another premiere coach

If we go w/ Drew...
  • Great potential to have a new "franchise" coach if he's successful
  • Drew understands "small-school money" and is great at making lemonade out of lemons
  • Drew is a great coach but he's only seen success at the mid-major level
  • I question his ability to really push the bounds on recruiting - but don't see a major problem here

I'm pushing for Capel, it's time Tech invest in a BIG name. We have so much potential to make a run for the ACC every year. No other ACC team should be able to recruit out of ATL or GA for that matter.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
That, and Quinalan's take imo, both sound like argumentative pieces trying to convince people that Capel shouldn't be a candidate. I have no reason to believe either of them has any actual insight into the search beyond what most people do.

Yea - I took that as an anti-Capel piece more than an "it's his agent" piece. And an over the top anti-Capel piece at that.
Still trying to figure out the agent angle here if he is indeed simply staying at Duke. I guess maybe trying to leverage a higher salary to stay is always possible but using the media to pressure K to pay more to stay on his staff seems a dicey proposition that could backfire as well. I expect there is real interest on his part of exploring HC opportunities. Whether he takes one or not is another issue.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I certainly don't have a strong opinion about any of the names being thrown around, but I have to believe that we *must* be waiting for Bryce Drew, because otherwise we would be hearing about a hiring by now.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
i think he leaves georgetown he doesn't succeed as much IMO. He has a built in network at georgetown he has no where else due to his dad and what his dad started. I would be at best luke warm to that.

I would rather have Kevin Ollie over JT3
I'm happy to concede the Duke guy if everyone would cut the crap with Georgetown and UConnvict guys as well. Thanks.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
One question I haven't seen posed - why do we think Drew will not use GT as a stepping stone?

I've come around to being comfortable with him or Capel being successful in doing so. It'll mean GT is left with a solid-to-great squad, no buy-out, and money to spend.