The Search

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
This is making me nervous. I know that I would personally prefer the GT job, but not everyone wants to deal with the competition in the ACC. Hopefully we land someone in the next day or two and we don't get stuck with a bad hire...

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
This is making me nervous. I know that I would personally prefer the GT job, but not everyone wants to deal with the competition in the ACC. Hopefully we land someone in the next day or two and we don't get stuck with a bad hire...
It hasn't even been a week yet, and the rumored top name is still working. Calm down.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

I'm right there with you. The other guy who quoted you makes a lot of sense though. My mind is starting to wander........for god sakes people are suggesting John Thompson!!!!!!!

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyone afraid of coaching in the ACC isn't the caliber coach that we need. I don't think any of the guys on our GTSwarm shortlist fit this though.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'm right there with you. The other guy who quoted you makes a lot of sense though. My mind is starting to wander........for god sakes people are suggesting John Thompson!!!!!!!

A guy on Vandy's board (why am I lurking on Vandy's board?) suggested the ghost of Jim Calhoun. This is the silly season.

@a5ehren you're right but this is still a pretty nerve-wracking process. This is a huge hire and one our last AD got all kinds of wrong.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Of course @kg01 prompted me to go lurk Vandy's board, so here's the thread & an article.

http://www.scout.com/college/vander...64880-the-best-of-our-final-list/ms/182309479

http://www.scout.com/college/vanderbilt/story/1656027-five-vanderbilt-head-coaching-prospects

It's a pretty good list, even if they add Drew, Capel, & Kevin Keatts. One thing to keep in mind is that not only has the arms race escalated significantly for SEC head basketball coaches, but they've also hired former Big East commish Mike Tranghese as a consultant.

Bryce Drew & Capel are excellent candidates for their gig and I'm sure the average Vandy fan would agree, but are they looking to make a splash.

For obvious reasons, I'd love to see them hire Buzz Williams. They'd win because he's a great coach, we'd win because i's an obstacle out of our way.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Gotta admit I like Drew more the more I learn about him. Impeccable basketball pedigree, NBA playing experience, and his Valpo team plays tough. But he's pretty much got a job for life there if he wants it. Hope the suspense is resolved shortly one way or another.

I agree with kg01 - this will be an important hire, so please Gold & White Jesus, let us get it right.

Campbeae

Georgia Tech Fan
Personally though I'm a vandy alum, was born a Ramblin wreck would like to see drew at vandy and Capel at tech or vice versa I don't care just hate the two schools I care about are in basketball limbo. Average vandy fan would not be in favor of Capel and don't think AD is either given Oklahoma background though I disagree with that sentiment

Gregg Marshall is apparently buddies with Corbin the baseball coach so I think that is part of the pipe dream

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I would rather have BG back than JT3. I was not a fan of his father. I think have discussed it before.

I brought up Dambrot as an off the wall coach a while back. Akron has been solid for 10 years now. But he has never been outside of Ohio. I also don't have a ton of faith in guys that stay at Mid majors forever. I don't know why. Makes me wonder about their aspirations maybe? The desire to NOT be in a big confeeeence. (Which is fine)
John Thompson, in my opinion, had his role in the downturn of quality in American basketball, even its nadir on the international level. His emphasis on athleticism over skills and press defense by using depth to harass by volume of fouls was ultimately detrimental to the game. Thompson, in my opinion, also played identity politics against the refs and was a divisive person.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
More I think about it the more I'm in the Drew camp.
Me too. I think he has a pretty high ceiling assuming he figures out the recruiting thing. I think Capel would be a solid choice too though since he is a good recruiter. Or, maybe MBob will surprise us with someone that we haven't thought of or hasn't been linked to us yet.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
John Thompson, in my opinion, had his role in the downturn of quality in American basketball, even its nadir on the international level. His emphasis on athleticism over skills and press defense by using depth to harass by volume of fouls was ultimately detrimental to the game. Thompson, in my opinion, also played identity politics against the refs and was a divisive person.

So ... that's a 'no' on JTIII to GT then? :whistle:

Like others, I'm warming to the idea of Capel/Drew. A classic X's-and-O's vs recruiting discussion. I always lean to the high-caliber recruiter. Get the talent in then figure out what to do with it. Half the time, the talent bails you out. Am I going to have to go against my 'better not be him' guy? o_O

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
So ... that's a 'no' on JTIII to GT then? :whistle:

Like others, I'm warming to the idea of Capel/Drew. A classic X's-and-O's vs recruiting discussion. I always lean to the high-caliber recruiter. Get the talent in then figure out what to do with it. Half the time, the talent bails you out. Am I going to have to go against my 'better not be him' guy? o_O

I did. It was Capel.

Now it's someone else.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Personally though I'm a vandy alum, was born a Ramblin wreck would like to see drew at vandy and Capel at tech or vice versa I don't care just hate the two schools I care about are in basketball limbo. Average vandy fan would not be in favor of Capel and don't think AD is either given Oklahoma background though I disagree with that sentiment

Gregg Marshall is apparently buddies with Corbin the baseball coach so I think that is part of the pipe dream

@Campbeae My only concern here, as @BigDaddyBuzz points out, is that could actually end up with one of us striking out if Capel says eff it & stands pat at dook. For that reason, I'd like to see Vandy hire a very good coach, but neither of Drew or Capel. I love the idea of snagging Buzz Williams at Vandy. He's a great coach, has ties to Texas, which is a place Vandy dips in to for recruits, and would be a splash on par with Pearl, Howland, & other recent SEC hires.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I did. It was Capel.

Now it's someone else.

If we end up with Capel, I'm planning on claiming Pastner was my 'heck no' guy all along. Don't tell anybody. :shifty:

@Campbeae My only concern here, as @BigDaddyBuzz points out, is that could actually end up with one of us striking out if Capel says eff it & stands pat at dook. For that reason, I'd like to see Vandy hire a very good coach, but neither of Drew or Capel. I love the idea of snagging Buzz Williams at Vandy. He's a great coach, has ties to Texas, which is a place Vandy dips in to for recruits, and would be a splash on par with Pearl, Howland, & other recent SEC hires.

I want King Rice to get in the mix. Maybe end up at Vandy. C'mon Fogler, get it done.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm thinking if Capel was/wasn't our guy, we would have heard either way by now.

Circumstantial, but the timeline stretching out to Valpo's run through the NIT makes me think Drew is our #1. I'm sure Drew's reps would have told MBob he wasn't interested if in fact that was the case so GT could move on. I have my criticisms of MBob, but he's known since January (according to his interviews) that CBG wasn't coming back, and I don't think he come into this without a VERY good idea about who he wants.

So now we wait until Valpo wins the NIT...

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Can we steal Pearl from Auburn?

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Put it down and slowly back away.

They will turn against you for such a suggestion and tell you that the powers that be would never accept such a filthy person.
Haha, I mean the guy can recruit and GT is a heck of a better job than Auburn. Maybe not the highest character person in the world, which I guess would be the problem.

Campbeae

Georgia Tech Fan

Yeah totally get it just putting out my ideal situation. Id be cool with buzz to vandy but doubt it happens due to his cushy contract, heard the fall back plan for vandy is UT-Chattanooga. As for tech I'm worried about the situation you brought up