The Search

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
not that it matters a hill of beans but i am good with bryce drew. i like his resume. he has just about every kind of tie to basketball that you would want. he has had adversity. played in the nba. IS NOT CONNECTED TO DUKE.

ill pass on capel. let him wait for coach k to retire. gt is no stepping stone.
if he brings gt back to its glory days than i see no reason for him not to get the duke job when coach k retires. gt loses.
if he does not bring back the glory days than we will be looking to unload him just like phewitt. gt loses.
at best we gain only a few years with capel.

id rather take a shot at an up an comer not tied to a major program. the last time we went for an 'up and comer' it worked out pretty darn well.

Last edited:

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
id rather take a shot at an up an comer not tied to a major program. the last time we went for an 'up and comer' it worked out pretty darn well.

In Cremins' case, yes, it did. But wasn't phewitt also considered an "up and comer"?

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
In Cremins' case, yes, it did. But wasn't phewitt also considered an "up and comer"?

if i had both resumes in front of me? i pick drews every single time. the body of work drew has. his family. his connections. the nba etc far outshine what phewitt had. but that is just my own opinion that may be biased by the total dislike i have for the man who arrogantly destroyed our program.

good point though.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well we could see what job coaches think is better. Apparently Vandy is making a big push for Drew and Coach K pushing for Capel to stay at Duke. Could we lose out on both? Uh Oh.......

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I haven't seen Keith Dambrot mentioned anywhere. Anyone think he'd be an option?

Nah, he's kinda old and his biggest accomplishment is being LeighBron's coach which is more happenstance than anything. JMHO

One interesting note is Vandy's board thinks Capel is using Vandy's opening to work a better deal with us.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
John Thomson III would be better then Capel, Drew to young to compare,. Thompson's recruits good talent, plus big on education, Sweet 16 multiple times, plus a final 4, should have been 1 more but played Natl Camp Florida early, close game when FL blew everyone else out. I like the fundamental play style as learned under Pete Carril.
Don't think he would leave Georgetown but worth a shot

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
John Thomson III would be better then Capel, Drew to young to compare,. Thompson's recruits good talent, plus big on education, Sweet 16 multiple times, plus a final 4, should have been 1 more but played Natl Camp Florida early, close game when FL blew everyone else out. I like the fundamental play style as learned under Pete Carril.

Honestly, my first reaction was 'nah, he's a bad coach' but he's actually had more success there than I initially realized. Still, he's building a rep for having teams that choke. Not sure if it's a fair/unfair characterization. Agree he's not leaving GTown though.

On Capel/Drew. I'm worried K will step in to keep his top assistant. Capel is apparently very well paid there. Actually paid enough to probably be comparable to what we'd offer. I could see Valpo putting together a patented lifetime deal to keep Drew a la Richmond's deal to Mooney.

Hope we have other options working.

Campbeae

Georgia Tech Fan
No the JT3, work with a number of Georgetown grads and they would be glad to get rid of him similar to how Dayton fans were happy we took BG, it should be drew or capel: Also As a vandy alum Capel is 3rd choice donors don't like Oklahoma past, Bryce Drew now number 1 on the board if something not done with Marshall by tonight donors willing to massively open pocket books if he wants vandy job

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

i think he leaves georgetown he doesn't succeed as much IMO. He has a built in network at georgetown he has no where else due to his dad and what his dad started. I would be at best luke warm to that.

I would rather have Kevin Ollie over JT3

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Get your own guy Vamdy alum. Or do the classy thing and wait for us to make our hire.

Agreed. That's proper protocol, is it not? ;)

Ah well, if the Vandy guy's right, sounds like they're gonna be chasing Mar$$$hall for a while anyway.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I would rather have BG back than JT3. I was not a fan of his father. I think have discussed it before.

I brought up Dambrot as an off the wall coach a while back. Akron has been solid for 10 years now. But he has never been outside of Ohio. I also don't have a ton of faith in guys that stay at Mid majors forever. I don't know why. Makes me wonder about their aspirations maybe? The desire to NOT be in a big confeeeence. (Which is fine)

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You're going to turn down Bama ($4MM)because you're holding out to go to.............. Vandy?
Vandy has played in the shadow of UK for all these years and the alums are still wishing/hoping/dreaming the day will come when they can dominate the Wildcats. It ain't gonna happen.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
You're going to turn down Bama ($4MM)because you're holding out to go to.............. Vandy?

Well, to be fair, the Bama money had Saban's face on it. Was apparently a deal-breaker.

Seriously though, probably didn't want to have to participate in the daily Saban statue ring-kiss before walking into his office. Doesn't have that problem at Vandy.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Well, to be fair, the Bama money had Saban's face on it. Was apparently a deal-breaker.

Seriously though, probably didn't want to have to participate in the daily Saban statue ring-kiss before walking into his office. Doesn't have that problem at Vandy.

That's good.
I like that

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
i think he leaves georgetown he doesn't succeed as much IMO. He has a built in network at georgetown he has no where else due to his dad and what his dad started. I would be at best luke warm to that.

I would rather have Kevin Ollie over JT3

At Georgetown JTIII doesn't even report to the AD - He reports to the President of the University. He ain't going anywhere.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Nah, he's kinda old and his biggest accomplishment is being LeighBron's coach which is more happenstance than anything. JMHO

One interesting note is Vandy's board thinks Capel is using Vandy's opening to work a better deal with us.

Yeah, he is pretty old. I do think the LeBron connection would help in recruiting, whether or not it should is besides the point I guess. 20+ wins in 11 straight seasons and a 70% conference win percentage is nothing to sneeze at though. I realize they don't play anyone. Just think he may actually be a pretty underrated coach, not that I'd want him for us necessarily.