The Search

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Not sure if I really understand a lot of the responses, but are some saying we need a coach that will make us competitive for the top 4 or 5 place in the ACC while paying less than what a mid-major pays for a winning coach?

Haven't we just tried something like that?

Seems like we have to make a decision or get off the pot.

Last edited:

gtdoceulaw

Jolly Good Fellow
Not saying that's what we need but that's what's going to happen.
First time poster, long time reader of GTSwarm here.

I am interested to see what candidates make it to the interview round. My current leader in the clubhouse is Bryce Drew of Valpo. He is young and has similar pedigree as current UVA HC, Tony Bennett, in that both their dads were former, successful college basketball coaches, both played in the NBA and both also have currently successful head coaches at their respective alma mater.

Not sure what kind of recruiter Bryce Drew is because he hasn't needed to compete for the big 5 conferences for talented prospects. On paper he would appear to be a good choice.

Thoughts about Bryce Drew?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I also said on the day (or day after) we relieved BG that Drew was the obvious and the most likely choice.

He's not my #1 but he's in the top 3.

Of the realistic candidates:

1-Wade
2-Drew
3-Enfield (realistic but unlikely)

Of course it's all just speculation on my part. It could be Jay Wright and I wouldn't know.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Paul Hewitt was awful to watch I remember games where we couldn't inbound the ball. it also annoyed me that he cared more about sending guys to the pros than winning games
And used all of his timeouts before the half. Plus, for the most part, recruited athletes and tried to turn them into BB players.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You know what's somewhat shocking? You can make the case that GT is one of the bigger jobs available....yet outside of the initial news that CBG got fired and inevitable mass speculation, it's been eerily quiet since then. Really the only 3 names mentioned by the media with GT has been Chris Mack (MBob ties to Xavier), Mark Price (more MP getting out front for his program than reality), and Bryce Drew. Unlike when CPH got fired, there hasn't been a mass of names being tied to our program and coaches publicly denying any discussions have occured. Heck, no coach has even gotten rich off using GT as leverage yet (see: Mooney).

I'll give MBob this...I haven't been a fan of some of things he's done, but it seems like he's running a tight ship on this one.

gtdoceulaw

Jolly Good Fellow
Interesting observation regarding MBob being tight-lipped about leaking search information to the media. Hopefully MBob will end up wowing us with his appointment.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You know what's somewhat shocking? You can make the case that GT is one of the bigger jobs available....yet outside of the initial news that CBG got fired and inevitable mass speculation, it's been eerily quiet since then. Really the only 3 names mentioned by the media with GT has been Chris Mack (MBob ties to Xavier), Mark Price (more MP getting out front for his program than reality), and Bryce Drew. Unlike when CPH got fired, there hasn't been a mass of names being tied to our program and coaches publicly denying any discussions have occured. Heck, no coach has even gotten rich off using GT as leverage yet (see: Mooney).

I'll give MBob this...I haven't been a fan of some of things he's done, but it seems like he's running a tight ship on this one.

MBob has a reputation for being quiet and keeping things close to the vest in hiring coaches - no big search committee, so almost everything you do hear will be speculation of what people think he is doing rather than knowing. Basically you know when the hire is made.
Now the names being bandied about make alot of sense (which is why they are being said publicly), but it wouldn't shock me if it ends up being a name we haven't heard. Wouldn't surprise if it is one of the names being mentioned either.

If the hire is any of the three Pea mentioned above i'm pretty happy.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I just read that Bryce Drew also has connections to Atlanta being that his current wife is a former Hawks cheerleader. That should ease my concern about his ability to recruit in the Atl.

{Humble brag alert.} My wife was invited to tryout for the Hawks cheerleading squad back in the day. :cool: She decided not to do it. Yeah, totally off topic ...

GTJason

Helluva Engineer

Yeah I guess I didn't realize how "good" of a job this seems to be. 2 buddies of mine who are Pitt Alums texted me separately blaming GT for their hiring of Stallings. They both said in so many words they were forced to pull the trigger when a better job opened up. Their points were similar program, better city and better recruiting possibilities. I don't disagree GT could and should be the better job, it's just personally I consider Pitt the better job due to recent success. They also mentioned they have an unreasonable fan base. I told them that's probably a wash

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I have not put forth a candidate so far, but here goes. Amaker. Has recruited well at an academic institution.
None of his 2016 recruits have signed LOI as Harvard does not offer athletic schollys. Apparently recruits
Georgia well, based on 2016 recruits. He owns the Ivy so there is no challenge left there.

Does he want to leave a gravy train for the ACC? Plus is wife is on the Harvard Medical faculty. (Does Emory have an opening?)

I realize this puts me in the cross hairs of the Duke haters (I understand I am a ND and UNC hater (with nowhere to go last night)).

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Amaker has had an up and down career. Certainly no slam dunk though I guess not totally out of the running. Personally I think we can and should do better. And that has nothing to do with the Duke angle.

I am hoping for a scenario similar to VT's recruitment of Buzz William's. Coach with significant experience that wasn't happy but no one knew about it. Willing to make the move to the ACC. Obviously don't know who it is as no one knows about it :)

Drew would be OK and I put that on par with Wake's hire of Danny Manning. Little more experienced.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I am hoping for a scenario similar to VT's recruitment of Buzz William's. Coach with significant experience that wasn't happy but no one knew about it. Willing to make the move to the ACC. Obviously don't know who it is as no one knows about it :)

How about Altman from Oregon? Obviously great coach, and the off the court situation at Oregon, of which he was cleared of, could mean he'd be entertaining offers.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
How about Altman from Oregon? Obviously great coach, and the off the court situation at Oregon, of which he was cleared of, could mean he'd be entertaining offers.

He can obviously recruit (especially in TX for some reason) and I would definitely be on board with this but I am willing to bet Phil Knight wouldn't be lol

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I am a Dook hater and I think I would be Ok with Amaker. his recruiting for Harvard is really unprecedented and he has experience at big programs as well.

Don't see Dana Altman leaving all of the Nike $ for GT and our tight budget.

I hope that the Pitt folks are right and it is obvious to the world that Tech is the better job.

Bryce Drew seems to be a good fit, except for the questions about his recruiting abilities. MBob made clear (I seem to recall) that he was hiring a coach that can recruit. Drew played in the NBA for a long while for a guy 6'3" from a small school, so I presume he has credibility with recruits who want to go pro though.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I'd be on board with Amaker as well.

And just like my dislike for Capel, I have no clue why I like Amaker. Perhaps it's because of success at Hahhhhhhhvard.