The Search

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
A couple of responses to others:
It's pretty obvious the Price public announcement is to appease a few alum. Price was never a serious candidate and was told so. We are aiming higher.
No announcement would be made tomorrow regardless of what you want to believe. At the earliest would be probably Tuesday/Wednesday

Exactly

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, a good poster on another board (dabiz) said they sent out a lot of feelers yesterday. Mack declined to interview. He doesn't believe they have anyone lined up.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, a good poster on another board (dabiz) said they sent out a lot of feelers yesterday. Mack declined to interview. He doesn't believe they have anyone lined up.

Good lord. I was hoping MBob made a move because he had someone in his back pocket lined up, and not because his seat was getting warm for the CBG extension debacle and making a move to make one.

Of course, maybe it's all optics because MBob does have someone in his back pocket, but doesn't want to make it seem disrespectful of "the process" and the new coach doesn't want to be "that coach" who's gunning for another coach's job while CBG was still the coach.

I guess we'll see next week. I know if we head into Final 4 weekend without a coach, than MBob definitely didn't have his ducks in a row. GT flailing in the wind without a real plan doesn't look good. No good coach wants to seem like they were publicly 2nd and 3rd tier choices.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Good lord. I was hoping MBob made a move because he had someone in his back pocket lined up, and not because his seat was getting warm for the CBG extension debacle and making a move to make one.

Regardless of whether of nor MBob had someone in his back pocked lined up, retaining gregory was not an option.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Regardless of whether of nor MBob had someone in his back pocked lined up, retaining gregory was not an option.

It was more of an option this year than last year. First post season appearance, winning 20+ games, and decreasing buyout even more. We wouldn't necessarily liked it, but it would have been more understandable than last year.

"Not an option" only applies if CBG totally embarassed GT or just tanked this season. Neither of which happened.

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow
I saw somebody bring it up on twitter, but what do you guys think of Cabral Huff as an assistant? He's at Alcorn right now, but was the coach at St. Francis (in Milton) for several years. I live very close to the school can assure you there is not much to sell. There are plenty better private schools in the North Fulton area. Despite this, he was able to reel in some of the best talent in Georgia. Turned St. Francis into a Georgia High School powerhouse. I feel like he would be able to recruit this area well.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
As a close personal friend of Mark, he says he wasn't ever a candidate. This comes from his own personal "self eval" and was never contacted formally as GT administration seeks a HC with more years as a HC and success as one.

Yeah, I think it was pretty obvious that Price's announcement was more in response to questions/concerns being raised by Charlotte fans because of press speculation than anything else.

Thanks for joining and posting. Next time you talk to him, tell him that some of us from the student section of the tit when he played are wishing him well. Great first season for the 49ers!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
It was more of an option this year than last year. First post season appearance, winning 20+ games, and decreasing buyout even more. We wouldn't necessarily liked it, but it would have been more understandable than last year.

"Not an option" only applies if CBG totally embarassed GT or just tanked this season. Neither of which happened.

No it wasn't.

Last year we could get away with bringing him back without an extension. This year we can't, and after the stunt he pulled letting the fanbase think that the buyout wasn't impacted last time, any extension would have been met with way too much backlash regardless of impact on buyout.

Last year after retaining him MBob publicly all but said he wante dto fire him and flat out told him how to do his job. He said "It's not as much about a number as showing clear signs of progress and a belief in the future of the program," . That means this year, in order to retain gregory he would have to make an argument why he has belief in the future of this program under gregory. 20 wins and an nit spot mean all of nothing when it comes with one of the most senior dependent teams in the nation. An AD who was at a basketball first school and publicly told the coach how to do his job isn't going to turn around and act like the team wasn't going to tank like the number one pick in the draft was on the line next year because of a mediocre nit year on the backs of a ton of seniors who wouldn't be there.

The only message retaining gregory would have sent is that our athletic department had no intentions of supporting the basketball program and were willing to trade away another season and suffer the long term negative effects that retaining gregory would have in order to save a couple hundred thousand. And no coach worth a damn is going to come to a place where he believes the administration doesn't support the program.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
No it wasn't.

Last year we could get away with bringing him back without an extension. This year we can't, and after the stunt he pulled letting the fanbase think that the buyout wasn't impacted last time, any extension would have been met with way too much backlash regardless of impact on buyout.

Last year after retaining him MBob publicly all but said he wante dto fire him and flat out told him how to do his job. He said "It's not as much about a number as showing clear signs of progress and a belief in the future of the program," . That means this year, in order to retain gregory he would have to make an argument why he has belief in the future of this program under gregory. 20 wins and an nit spot mean all of nothing when it comes with one of the most senior dependent teams in the nation. An AD who was at a basketball first school and publicly told the coach how to do his job isn't going to turn around and act like the team wasn't going to tank like the number one pick in the draft was on the line next year because of a mediocre nit year on the backs of a ton of seniors who wouldn't be there.

The only message retaining gregory would have sent is that our athletic department had no intentions of supporting the basketball program and were willing to trade away another season and suffer the long term negative effects that retaining gregory would have in order to save a couple hundred thousand. And no coach worth a damn is going to come to a place where he believes the administration doesn't support the program.

You seem to not get the fact that extensions can be given without increasing buyouts...well, you and MBob. It's just optics for recruiting. Everyone knows this was a senior laden team, and next year's team is going to be climbing a mountain on skates. It doesn't matter who the coach is next year, that was what whoever is coaching would has to deal with. Let's also remember MBob was the one who said "Contracts for recruiting is only an issue with the media" (paraphrasing) when he totally botched the CPJ extension. MBob says a lot of things that sound good...his execution has been questionable, so I wouldn't necessarily use his words to defend your point.

So I respect your position that retaining CBG "was not an opition", but as we've discussed ad nauseam this year, it was VERY much a real possibility. Don't mistake not supporting the program with not having money to do what would be ideal. Good for us that donors/adminstrators behind the scenes stepped up.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
just remember..... it was paul phewitt that put our program where it is now. not bryan gregory. he was able to fix some of our academic issues but recruiting was so down when he was hired that only immediate winning would cure that. it did not happen.

i love coach gregory and hope he lands on his feet.

Yeah cause Paul didn't get top recruits to GT or take a team to the NC.. Five years of coaching and its still Paul's fault.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Well, MBob's set the bar high for himself.

I reckon that he knows that if we don't get somebody legitimately considered "the very best," then CBG may not be our only off-season replacement.