The Search

gtdoceulaw

Jolly Good Fellow
There is also the possibility of an out of the blue move as Red alluded to above. For me that would be Russell Turner at UCI. The guy was previously with Dave Odom at WF and Montgomery at Stanford so he obviously has familiarity with recruiting in the SE with the initial.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Altman is clearly a good coach but it'd be really hard to pry him from Nike's teat. Imagine him going from that currency faucet to our rickety spigot and Russell gear. He'd be all, "Uh, guys where's the money tree? You don't have a money tree?! I'm out."

Disagree on Amaker. I can't shake his Mich and SetonHall years.

Agree with @gtdoceulaw on Turner. I just knew Stanford would be all over him but they went with Haase. I think that was a mistake.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we should, but a guy like Kenny Payne (who is UK's top recruiter) is said to be actively looking for a first head coaching spot and has been mentioned with a couple of lower profile jobs like Western. USF tried the same thing with Orlando Antigua a couple years ago, and that did not work out. Just throwing Payne out as an outside-the-box type candidate that hasn't been mentioned yet.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Amaker has been very successful at Harvard, but his stints at Seton Hall and Michigan were much more mixed.
Also, he made it clear the last go round that he wasn't interested in interviewing at GT.

I don't expect the hire to be a Dukie, largely because Duke guys don't coach in the ACC (Brey excepted due to ND moving in).

On average 1.5 P5 coaches move per yr - we've already had 2 this year - Dixon to TCU, Stallings to Pitt, probably won't be alot of others. Enfield was reportedly interested in the Pitt job, so he might be in play.

Keatts and Wade imo are the hirings similar to Manning at Wake. Guys with good, but limited HC experience. Drew has 5 yrs experience so he has more experience and has gone through at least 1 complete cycle of players.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Drew does have more experience than Manning but I would still contend he is in that group, like Manning, that is interesting but not a sure fire "home run".
Maybe I have a higher view of Tulsa than UNC-W but I still think Manning would be considered a step ahead of Keats. Maybe I am just discounting his years with Pitino at high level recruiting and coaching more than I should.
However, I would be all in on Keats as he is IMHO going to be a very good head coach for someone. No one at UNC-W expects him to be there in 2-3 years. Whether he is ready for the ACC head job right now is debatable but if you were willing to give him a pass for a couple of years he could be a great long term choice.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Drew does have more experience than Manning but I would still contend he is in that group, like Manning, that is interesting but not a sure fire "home run".
Maybe I have a higher view of Tulsa than UNC-W but I still think Manning would be considered a step ahead of Keats. Maybe I am just discounting his years with Pitino at high level recruiting and coaching more than I should.
However, I would be all in on Keats as he is IMHO going to be a very good head coach for someone. No one at UNC-W expects him to be there in 2-3 years. Whether he is ready for the ACC head job right now is debatable but if you were willing to give him a pass for a couple of years he could be a great long term choice.

Another welcome in store!! Great to see that you made it over here.

Lots of good hoops discussion..

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
For guys/gals in the know:

Of the targets out there (or discussed thus far), how are they best categorized? Great Recruiter or Great Coach or Balanced?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Of my 3 id say:

Wade-Good balance of both recruiting and X's and O's

Drew: Really good X's and O's (especially defensively) YTD on recruiting

Enfield: Don't know about his X's and O's (didn't catch many USCw games) but his style is definitely appealing in recruiting.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
5 of Enfield's 9 commitments, 2014 (2 of 4), 2015 (2 of 2), 2016 (1 of 3) were 4 stars. Not bad on recruiting. He took FGCU to NCAA sweet 16 in his 2nd year there, beating GTown and SDSU, not bad coaching.

I'm all in for this guy, for some reason. His wife is from OK, he's from PA, and they spent time in Florida. For a guy with three young kids, this geography might be in our favor. Also, he played college ball at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore from 87-91 which means that he was in ACC country at a time when GT was relevant. He also knows the demands of tough undergrad and athletics. He turned around the USC program pretty well, and we may be in a better place with regard to team-culture than they were.

As was mentioned, he apparently interviewed with Pitt or Pitt got permission to interview, but they ended up with Stallings. A goofy looking guy who marries a super-model wants to compete in the ACC.

It's a done deal.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The more I think about it, the more I'm beginning to think MBob has someone in the bag. For whatever reason (still coaching...ahem), the timing isn't right to announce.

Why do I think this? Well, as I've mentioned before, there has been almost non-existent talk about any candidates and GT. Think about it. If MBob does this professionally, that means he has to talk to agents to get a feel, other ADs for permission to speak with a coach under contract, and possibly other people for background due diligence for vetting purposes. Yet here we are, 3 days after firing CBG....and nada. What are the chances that MBob has gone through all those steps and no one has loose lips? Practically zero in this day and age of hyper social media and various other outlets. Agents will leverage job openings for extensions/raises even if the candidate isn't interested, ADs leaks it to a media member to taint the process for the school looking to hire away their coach, and vetting candidates with secondary/tertiary sources is even worse than announcing it to a reporter. Now all we have to do is search credit card records for coaches and wives buying gold colored clothing in anticipation of press conference....

Well, it's either the above, or MBob is locked away in a dark basement rocking back and forth and hoping inspiration strikes him 'cause he's terrified of the enormity of the situation.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
@CuseJacket
I just noticed that Bobinski follows @GTSwarm on Twitter. I don't really do twitter, but does that mean you could dm him to get some insights into what's happening?