The Search

LibertyTurns

Banned
If we don't make an announcement by tomorrow our future coach is either still coaching in the NIT or all of this talk about having a BIG NAME lurking in the wings is probably BS. Only other rational scenario is the BIG NAME we had thumbed used our offer to extort a pay raise out of his current gig & never really intended to land here. If that happened, it further demonstrates our leadership team is out of its league. Of all the scenarios out there, there's only one likely scenario where you could convince me our leadership team is competent & that's the NIT scenario. If we really didn't have a top candidate on the hook prior to the firing, well that would speak volumes.

I'm guessing it's 80-20 we end up being underwhelmed at the selection. Of course I'm a horrible predictor as I would have bet the house CBG was safe until 2017. Please don't shaft me again GT!

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Im glad its not Price and its really a "its not you its us" situation.

Its not a big name. We will only pay 3MM for a coach when the rest of the country is paying 5MM.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If we don't make an announcement by tomorrow our future coach is either still coaching in the NIT or all of this talk about having a BIG NAME lurking in the wings is probably BS.

Even if we had a guy lined up we'd still need some time to finalize the details, and there is no real pressing need to get it done on sunday instead of sometime next week. And if it is a big name, and most likely even if it isn't, we probably woudn't want to be making that announcement while NCAAT games are going on.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Even if we had a guy lined up we'd still need some time to finalize the details, and there is no real pressing need to get it done on sunday instead of sometime next week. And if it is a big name, and most likely even if it isn't, we probably woudn't want to be making that announcement while NCAAT games are going on.

C'mon all big name coaches want to do business on Easter.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
A couple of responses to others:
It's pretty obvious the Price public announcement is to appease a few alum. Price was never a serious candidate and was told so. We are aiming higher.
No announcement would be made tomorrow regardless of what you want to believe. At the earliest would be probably Tuesday/Wednesday

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A couple of responses to others:
It's pretty obvious the Price public announcement is to appease a few alum. Price was never a serious candidate and was told so. We are aiming higher.
No announcement would be made tomorrow regardless of what you want to believe. At the earliest would be probably Tuesday/Wednesday

BDB...just checking to see if my definition of Big Name is the same as yours...

Would you consider Bryce Drew a big fish, or are we talking Greg Marshall, Archie Miller

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Marshall is a name that I can see both sides of. As others have pointed out this would be the year for him to leave with Van Vleet and Baker moving on. He did have a pretty serious flirtation with Alabama last year and I think the majority would say GT is the better job. So I think if people are saying MBob has a big name lined up, he would make the most sense.

However, I just don't see how the financials would work to make him a candidate.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Marshall is a name that I can see both sides of. As others have pointed out this would be the year for him to leave with Van Vleet and Baker moving on. He did have a pretty serious flirtation with Alabama last year and I think the majority would say GT is the better job. So I think if people are saying MBob has a big name lined up, he would make the most sense.

However, I just don't see how the financials would work to make him a candidate.

If Marshall is entertaining offers from other schools it's likely that he is looking to see if he can get something other than a higher number for his base pay. It could be job security of a roll over contract ala Williams and Hewitt, or it could be more money for assistants. Hell it could even just be something as simple as going to a place where he think he could have a better chance at a championship that offers him a similar package to what he has. Despite the increase in parity between the major 5 conference and mid majors, mid majors aren't winning championships.

Now I'm not arguing that Marshall is going to come here. I think he's a pipe dream. But if he leaves WSU then I don't think it is about trying to get a pay raise.

Price is off our list.

What is he supposed to say until he is officially offered the job or he knows he isn't going to get the job so he is making it look like he is refusing before the search gets started. He's not ready anyways, we can get better. If we are going to go after former players, we should be looking at Craig Neal not Mark Price.