The Search Reloaded

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
Reading all the comments from people against it, the line of this post coming from this font came in from Vegas at (-1200)

I'm good without the know-it-all attitude.

Just bringing up the fact that there are other factors outside of postseason appearances and obviously he is considered valid by someone who is paid to make these decisions.

You can't use Gregory as a comparison to someone like Kelsey just because they both were from mid-majors. It's about the individual situations and I don't see how he is as bad of an bad option as some of you are making him out to be.

GTsports1819

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm a relatively infrequent poster, but recent alum who follows Tech sports closely. Pretty disappointed with the way the search has gone so far, but holding out hope we can right the ship. Does anyone know why Kelvin Sampson isn't at least being mentioned? Fits the mold of a guy with Power 5 experience (OU, Indiana), has had success...was even able to take a pretty bad Houston program and get them to the NIT. He would likely not be expensive either. C. Martin could be good. What about Tinkle (the Oregon State coach)? Just throwing names around to see what people think of some other guys with Power 5 experience.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Sure, he's improved. But it's taken him 4 years to adjust to the Big South.

Not that I'm a huge fan of hiring him, but I don't think this is really accurate. He finished 2nd in conference his second year and won more games in each of his first 4 years than the two years prior to him arriving there, and won more conference games his last 3 years than in the two years prior. I'd say it took him one year to adjust and his first year he had nobody averaging over 5 ppg returning I believe. Also, the difference between him and gregory is that gregory took over a program poised to take the jump to the next level, as has happened under Miller, but floundered around. Kelsey took over the program and has now finished top 3 three straight years and should contend again next year returning 3/4 top players in terms of mpg. gregory was a bad hire because he couldn't do what the previous program needed him to do. Kelsey is just earlier in the process than you would want for a guy making that big a jump.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm good without the know-it-all attitude.

Just bringing up the fact that there are other factors outside of postseason appearances and obviously he is considered valid by someone who is paid to make these decisions.

You can't use Gregory as a comparison to someone like Kelsey just because they both were from mid-majors. It's about the individual situations and I don't see how he is as bad of an bad option as some of you are making him out to be.
I'm not sure how Kelsey's resume is better than Gregory's. Postseason experience? Gregory. Overall winning percentage at previous school? Gregory. Coaching tree? Gregory.

The only thing Kelsey has going for him is he's been an assistant coach in the ACC. That's not good enough criteria for me to want to make him the next head coach.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not sure how Kelsey's resume is better than Gregory's. Postseason experience? Gregory. Overall winning percentage at previous school? Gregory. Coaching tree? Gregory.

The only thing Kelsey has going for him is he's been an assistant coach in the ACC. That's not good enough criteria for me to want to make him the next head coach.

Refer to @lv20gt post

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
GT would never hire a guy with a show cause on his resume.

I'm a relatively infrequent poster, but recent alum who follows Tech sports closely. Pretty disappointed with the way the search has gone so far, but holding out hope we can right the ship. Does anyone know why Kelvin Sampson isn't at least being mentioned? Fits the mold of a guy with Power 5 experience (OU, Indiana), has had success...was even able to take a pretty bad Houston program and get them to the NIT. He would likely not be expensive either. C. Martin could be good. What about Tinkle (the Oregon State coach)? Just throwing names around to see what people think of some other guys with Power 5 experience.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You show your age by mentioning Sampson. You were too young to remember how much of a dumpster fire Indiana was when he left. Crean literally had 1 scholarship player when he took over and it wasn't a good one. One of the most storied programs in college basketball laid waste.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Not all that familiar with C.Martin so read some bio on him. Purdue grad, has the degree. And Purdue is long time member of AAU,
as is Cal his current employer. So he knows the environment. Academics should not scare him off.
Besides the college experience he has pro experience. Apparently really good recruiter.
At least he got the guy we were all praying GT would land.

If you can't out recruit him, hire him! (?)

GTsports1819

Georgia Tech Fan
Yeah I did not realize how many recruiting violations Sampson had racked up. I agree that should eliminate him from consideration. But what about Wayne Tinkle? Making about ~$1M at Oregon State and got them their first NCAA berth since 1990. He has a short track record there, but he has done relatively well for someone who did not inherit a lot of talent.

pmixmaster

Georgia Tech Fan
We know. Now you're just trolling. There's no reason for us to hire a middling coach who's fan base wants him gone. We've already done that.
touche that was a fishing post . your board reminds me alot of our hoops board the lobo lair . im reading some of these post and i must say your fans expectation vs reality are super skewed. at this point i highly doubt a big name coach is in line you couldnt even land a middle level name GT is in a similar psotion that the lobos will find themselves in next year and that is at the bottom looking up . when alford left the program was nationally know and relevant and we coould have snagged a great coach bit our ad botched the search and didnt even run a national campaign for the search he simply said next in line and hired a no HC exp coach at the d1 level and in two years hes managed to get his son ran out of town and a fan base that doesnt support a losing product now next year when he is fired we are gona garner no national intrest from a good coach much like you are experiencing i was certain that our ad would ax neal this year but instead he axed the womens coach to save face as his job was prob on the line. i was hoping wed get a good run at brad underwood or steve forbes but our ad didnt pull the trigger and now were stuck with a worthless coach and a fan basse that isnt showing up to games we were 400k short in ticket sales last year and prob will double this year due to the fans not supporting a losing coach sad to see both programs is dire straights I FEEL YOUR PAIN

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah I did not realize how many recruiting violations Sampson had racked up. I agree that should eliminate him from consideration. But what about Wayne Tinkle? Making about ~$1M at Oregon State and got them their first NCAA berth since 1990. He has a short track record there, but he has done relatively well for someone who did not inherit a lot of talent.
I like him, but I think he's more of a West region guy, so coming across country doesn't always translate. Also, he & his top assistant both have their sons in the program. He seems poised to get them rejuvenated though.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This makes a lot of sense. I'm sure nobody wanted to talk to us because they thought they'd get lowballed, given the buyouts and now some better names are thinking "I can go coach in the ACC and pillage ATL recruiting, while getting paid $2Mil+?" Maybe I should check in to this.

I sure hope that this is the case!

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
We don't have The Glove 2.0 though.