The Search Reloaded

gtdoceulaw

Jolly Good Fellow
DTM, I agree that #s 1 and 3 are the least desirable.

Also from the above list, a random name from non P5 conferences which I find intriguing is Joe Dooley at Florida Gulf Coast given his past experiences working under Bill Self at Kansas and currently keeping what Enfeld built going.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
@BigDaddyBuzz @GlennW @DaBiz Have you heard anything about going after Capel again? Thank you for your insights!

I think the Capel ship has sailed if it was even a real possibility and I say that because many people are saying he never was planning on leaving Duke and is just waiting to take over for when Coach K retires. The threat of coming to Tech was leverage for more money (once again)...

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the Capel ship has sailed if it was even a real possibility and I say that because many people are saying he never was planning on leaving Duke and is just waiting to take over for when Coach K retires. The threat of coming to Tech was leverage for more money (once again)...

Thanks! I can't say I blame him for staying at Duke.

It's not like he chose us over Vandy or something.......

6000652e4cbfb9a4f2dcd35272bd9aa4.jpg

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
I like him. He is from Providence so he may not be interested in looking at alternatives.

This does bring up a good point. A lot of the top options are coaching at their Alma Maters or hometowns:

Cooley, Drew, Mack, Capel. It's always extra hard to pull someone away from their school.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Something to remember: most coaches have clauses that allow them out of their contract for certain opportunities. Even though many of these coaches have just signed or have recently signed longer contracts, there are still out clauses in those contracts. So, let's not discount anyone just because they signed a deal. An ACC position might be on someone's "out" list.

I honestly think you can deal with a poor X's and O's coach if he can recruit. That's why the assistant coaches are very important. Cremins wasn't a good X and Os guy but he had a great staff to help with in game management.

Gregory did not have a very good staff and it showed.

Get me the guy who can recruit and then hire a good staff. That is the fastest way to get to success and stay there. I like Martin a lot for that reason. [Also Capel hasn't proved to be a great X and O guy either so I think they are comparable].
Sadly, his staff may actually have been better than him.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm probably in the Minority, but really not sure why people dislike the idea of Kelsey so much. I understand on the surface there may be better options, but when comparing him to some of the other mid-to-low major options, he stacks up very well. [Look at his improvement year to year along with his age].

Plus he knows how to recruit in the ACC and was one of the hottest assistant coaches at Xavier and Wake.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm probably in the Minority, but really not sure why people dislike the idea of Kelsey so much. I understand on the surface there may be better options, but when comparing him to some of the other mid-to-low major options, he stacks up very well. [Look at his improvement year to year along with his age].

Plus he knows how to recruit in the ACC and was one of the hottest assistant coaches at Xavier and Wake.
Sure, he's improved. But it's taken him 4 years to adjust to the Big South. What does that learning curve look like in the ACC? We already saw what can happen when you take a decent mid-major coach and put him in this league. He got put out after 5 years - are we willing to wait another 4-5 years before we start to experience marked success while our new coach adjusts and figures it out? I'm not.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

He's got to have some postseason appearances at a rate atleast similar to his predecessors.

Right now he appears average compared to the main coaches that have come out of there.

Also, how is it a given that he can recruit in the ACC? He's not gone against the HOFers and won yet.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

Reading all the comments from people against it, the line of this post coming from this font came in from Vegas at (-1200)