The Search Reloaded

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If Cuonzo isn't a candidate, then doesn't that mean the info came from us? If it came from Cal it seems like we would get the usual public statement of I'm very happy at Cal and excited about next season, blah blah blah. The wording makes it seem like we aren't even considering him.
God, I hope we are not another Hewitt.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
So either:

A. Bobinski met with Cuonzo yesterday, and after meeting, Cuonzo decided Georgia Tech was not a destination he was comfortable with (possibly in an effort to push Cal for a contract, using Tech as leverage - tell me if you've heard that before)
B. Bobinski met with Cuonzo yesterday, and after meeting, Bobinski decided Cuonzo would not be a good fit for Georgia Tech
C. Bobinski wasn't even in Berkeley yesterday and never met with Cuonzo - instead met elsewhere with another unnamed coach
D. Goodman's sources are incorrect and there is still mutual interest between Georgia Tech and Cuonzo.

I find B to be unlikely (unless it has to do with the scandal at Martin's feet), so at this point it's either A, C, or D. Hoping for D (or even C), but feel like it's more A.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
What great news to wake up to! More egg on the face of our once proud program.

Is Fred Hoiberg really going to be fired? If so, will it be too late anyway for him to take a college job?

Vinson and Best would be interesting but Fred has no college experience and no head coaching experience, so could be a disaster. Russell Turner or Randy Bennett maybe our best bets or Kevin Keates

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
So either:

A. Bobinski met with Cuonzo yesterday, and after meeting, Cuonzo decided Georgia Tech was not a destination he was comfortable with (possibly in an effort to push Cal for a contract, using Tech as leverage - tell me if you've heard that before)
B. Bobinski met with Cuonzo yesterday, and after meeting, Bobinski decided Cuonzo would not be a good fit for Georgia Tech
C. Bobinski wasn't even in Berkeley yesterday and never met with Cuonzo - instead met elsewhere with another unnamed coach
D. Goodman's sources are incorrect and there is still mutual interest between Georgia Tech and Cuonzo.

I find B to be unlikely (unless it has to do with the scandal at Martin's feet), so at this point it's either A, C, or D. Hoping for D (or even C), but feel like it's more A.
C

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The US Supreme Court has famously tight lipped staffers so that nothing leaks out before an opinion is read in open court. That said, MBob is clearly in that league relative the information flow regarding this search. I don't think we have gotten anything from GTAA we have any confidence is accurate. KS hinted that MBob was interviewing a candidate Tuesday from somewhere up north. Ohio? Then we get news MBob is at the airport (which airport?) on his way to interview his top choice. Here we are, just short of two weeks after firing our coach, and we don't really know anything about what's happening.

Last edited:

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
So either:

Given that the only source who had Cuonzo linked with us was a SF newspaper, I think C is actually quite possible. Maybe Cuonzo's people leaked it to a local reporter to put some pressure on Cal to make a move on his contract. We are the only major opening right now. A GT source may have contacted Goodman to clarify. I choose to believe this is how it went down, but if the search drags on past tomorrow with no news, choice A seems more likely.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The US Supreme Court has famously tight lipped staffers so that nothing leaks out before an opinion is read in open court. That said, MBob is clearly in that league relative the information flow regarding this search. I don't think we have gotten anything of GTAA we have any confidence is accurate. KS hinted that MBob was interviewing a candidate Tuesday from somewhere up north. Ohio? Then we get news MBob is at the airport (which airport?) on his way to interview his top choice. Here we are, just short of two weeks after firing our coach, and we don't really know anything about what's happening.

Or, the people who clsim info from inside AA are not lying trolls.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
At this point who knows what the heck is going on. All I know is we are now 2 days behind in recruiting not just for 2017, and keeping our 2016 guys, but also grad transfers which we desperately need 1 or 2 for 2016. We need a new coach asap!

jacket fan in dairyland

Jolly Good Fellow
It seems to me that MBob and his search firm were NOT prepared for BD to go instead to Vandy. If Capel was also a serious candidate , he should have been kept on as option 2 , until BD was signed. That's the way normal interviews are conducted in business. Now if Capel removed his own name without any prompting from MBob , then that's a different story.
Obviously, an interested prospective coach should initiate contact to our AD , through the search firm. If Tech contacts the coach first, that's considered tampering, right? That's why the CM situation is puzzling to me. If CM initiated interest through the search firm that prompted MBob to fly to California ( is that even true ? ), then we have some sort of "catch" that would make a prospective coach at first seem interested , but then pull back. If that's what both CM and Capel did, I would propose they did that after they looked at our current roster and recruiting and were not interested in rebuilding the train wreck.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
What great news to wake up to! More egg on the face of our once proud program.

Is Fred Hoiberg really going to be fired? If so, will it be too late anyway for him to take a college job?

Vinson and Best would be interesting but Fred has no college experience and no head coaching experience, so could be a disaster. Russell Turner or Randy Bennett maybe our best bets or Kevin Keates

To be fair I don't think many outside of the program are as invested as we are to this so I doubt they have been paying attention to the internal flip flops. From the conversations I've had with others outside of the GT fan-base I don't think it looks as bad as we think... which could be the saving grace here.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
To be fair I don't think many outside of the program are as invested as we are to this so I doubt they have been paying attention to the internal flip flops. From the conversations I've had with others outside of the GT fan-base I don't think it looks as bad as we think... which could be the saving grace here.
Even within the fan base I don't think it looks terrible. Aside from die hards, I don't think people are following it too closely, and as long as we get a decent coach in the next few days most will not have even noticed or will forget about it in a few weeks.