The Official 2020 Color Debate Thread

But do we know that it’s being “undermined?” Is there also not a possibility that the student giveaways are being driven what students are actually asking for?

I know it could be what if’s either way, if the students are ok with it and aren’t complaining in any way, is there reason to change it? Again, I’m 41 now, and navy was huge and popular when I was at Tech, so we now have been known as a “blue” team for 20+ years. Could be that we have a whole generation or two of GT fans and graduates that are ok with blue, and may actually prefer it, again, referencing how excited I would see fellow students get when our sports teams would wear blue when I was there.
And when I was there in the 60s, you never saw blue anywhere. Times sure do change.

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
But do we know that it’s being “undermined?” Is there also not a possibility that the student giveaways are being driven what students are actually asking for?

I know it could be what if’s either way, if the students are ok with it and aren’t complaining in any way, is there reason to change it? Again, I’m 41 now, and navy was huge and popular when I was at Tech, so we now have been known as a “blue” team for 20+ years. Could be that we have a whole generation or two of GT fans and graduates that are ok with blue, and may actually prefer it, again, referencing how excited I would see fellow students get when our sports teams would wear blue when I was there.

I think if Tech wants fans to wear one color to games, as any AA usually does, you actively promote that color. If that message is not important, then no, I don't think it's undermining, because you've decided you really don't care. I wish it were important, but that's just like, my opinion, so your point may stand.

I'm 40 so we're in the same wheelhouse. During the time I was at Tech (and the years I should have been if not for my crash and burn lol) we never wore blue in football. From 95 until the Peach Bowl in 2008, I think we only wore blue once (2006 ACCCG - which was actually a very very sharp uni that didn't diminish white/gold branding imo). That said, anyone who says it's hard to find gold gear now should have seen the situation then. Your choices were a Russell gold Polo or a Russell gold Polo. At least until the Chan gameday cheddar came out...gross.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
What kind of tread is on the bottom? Are they primarily for something like basketball, or are they good for hiking/trekking?

Air Force 1s are a basketball shoe turned casual/lifestyle shoe. Here is the sole

22489259d13cc25af422cebf30c127d7.jpg

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
I think if Tech wants fans to wear one color to games, as any AA usually does, you actively promote that color. If that message is not important, then no, I don't think it's undermining, because you've decided you really don't care. I wish it were important, but that's just like, my opinion, so your point may stand.

I'm 40 so we're in the same wheelhouse. During the time I was at Tech (and the years I should have been if not for my crash and burn lol) we never wore blue in football. From 95 until the Peach Bowl in 2008, I think we only wore blue once (2006 ACCCG - which was actually a very very sharp uni that didn't diminish white/gold branding imo). That said, anyone who says it's hard to find gold gear now should have seen the situation then. Your choices were a Russell gold Polo or a Russell gold Polo. At least until the Chan gameday cheddar came out...gross.

I will say that it is a bit odd that it is said to “wear gold” to games (football at least), and yet almost every giveaway is non-gold. There may be some disconnect there. But consistently student giveaways seem to be blue the majority of the time. I’d say that if they didn’t want it, at some point it would be voiced. But then again, when I was a student, I’d take anything free and not gripe! So I don’t know what it is. I prefer gold, but I’m open to anything gold, white, navy, black or charcoal as long as the GT is correct. Correct colors (no cheddar yellow, no stupid blue letter fill) and shape. Gold fill letters with either and white or navy outline (or no outline), or white fill letters with gold outline. The logo being wrong irritates me more than the color of the garment. I’ll turn down purchases instantly if the logo is junk.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Ok. You do you, boo.
Boo? Lol just saying when I mention the apparel and stuff I’m not thinking in terms of casual wear as much as you do it seems. I’m thinking in terms of what you should wear for your team and what colors your team is. That’s just my mindset

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
I will say that it is a bit odd that it is said to “wear gold” to games (football at least), and yet almost every giveaway is non-gold. There may be some disconnect there. But consistently student giveaways seem to be blue the majority of the time. I’d say that if they didn’t want it, at some point it would be voiced. But then again, when I was a student, I’d take anything free and not gripe! So I don’t know what it is. I prefer gold, but I’m open to anything gold, white, navy, black or charcoal as long as the GT is correct. Correct colors (no cheddar yellow, no stupid blue letter fill) and shape. Gold fill letters with either and white or navy outline (or no outline), or white fill letters with gold outline. The logo being wrong irritates me more than the color of the garment. I’ll turn down purchases instantly if the logo is junk.

For 20 years the logo was jacked up on Georgia state-issued Tech license plates... that alone makes me completely jaded on our AA doing anything remotely professional or consistent when it comes to branding. In the 90s there was also the round logo. What a mess.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
For 20 years the logo was jacked up on Georgia state-issued Tech license plates... that alone makes me completely jaded on our AA doing anything remotely professional or consistent when it comes to branding. In the 90s there was also the round logo. What a mess.
To this day the logo on the football helmets is an unofficial logo that doesn’t meet the branding standards. It more closely resembles the old license plate logo than the actual logo. What really doesn’t make sense is that any graphical depiction of a GT football helmet features the actual logo, and not the incorrect one used on physical helmets. I think we can all agree that GTAA’s branding and cohesion has been f’ed for a long time.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck

Round logo?

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
To this day the logo on the football helmets is an unofficial logo that doesn’t meet the branding standards. It more closely resembles the old license plate logo than the actual logo. What really doesn’t make sense is that any graphical depiction of a GT football helmet features the actual logo, and not the incorrect one used on physical helmets. I think we can all agree that GTAA’s branding and cohesion has been f’ed for a long time.

Very true, although the one on the license plate wasn't even a good representation of the helmet logo... the "T" was way out of proportion. I actually prefer the helmet logo and I wish we used it for everything.

Round logo (80s-90s)

90s-nwt-sweatshirt-georgia-tech-gt_1_b6f9b1cfee84853ccbdb04b6ae794b76.jpg

0.jpg

s-l300.jpg

lp-887.jpg

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks. Do you know of any similar shoe (in some kind of gold) that is good for hiking?

Only thing I can think of would be by Arc’teryx, which won’t be cheap. Search for the Norvan LD GTX. It’s end of season for Arc’teryx though, so they should be closing things out. The color is “Yukon”, as in Yukon gold. Going to be a darker gold, but a good color for an outdoor shoe. And GoreTex, so fully waterproof. All in all a good long term, hard wearing shoe.

Here is a photo:

f44e84e8cedcf78b2be223fd65a09d7f.jpg

Only thing I can think of would be by Arc’teryx, which won’t be cheap. Search for the Norvan LD GTX. It’s end of season for Arc’teryx though, so they should be closing things out. The color is “Yukon”, as in Yukon gold. Going to be a darker gold, but a good color for an outdoor shoe. And GoreTex, so fully waterproof. All in all a good long term, hard wearing shoe.

Here is a photo:

f44e84e8cedcf78b2be223fd65a09d7f.jpg
That looks pretty good. Are they sold at any major commercial outlets or only online? There's no way I would buy a shoe online.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
That looks pretty good. Are they sold at any major commercial outlets or only online? There's no way I would buy a shoe online.
Why not? Wearing size 16, I buy shoes exclusively online - if they don't fit you just ship them back. The only pair of shoes I own that I didn't buy online were some hiking boots that were an emergency replacement shoe before a big trip, in a brand that tends to run big, and REI just happened to have them in a 15 which fit well. Going into a store for shoes is almost guaranteed to be a waste of time for me.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck

Probably not. That’s a niche color for a shoe (gold), and Arc’teryx is a high end brand that’s not usually at a lot of big box stores, just because average people aren’t buying $200 shoes and $600 jackets that often. If you have any speciality/high end outdoors oriented stores around you (REI, etc), you might get lucky, but I wouldn’t count on it.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Why not? Wearing size 16, I buy shoes exclusively online - if they don't fit you just ship them back. The only pair of shoes I own that I didn't buy online were some hiking boots that were an emergency replacement shoe before a big trip, in a brand that tends to run big, and REI just happened to have them in a 15 which fit well. Going into a store for shoes is almost guaranteed to be a waste of time for me.

16?! Good grief. Guess we know where the “yeti” in your name comes from! Lol!

Probably not. That’s a niche color for a shoe (gold), and Arc’teryx is a high end brand that’s not usually at a lot of big box stores, just because average people aren’t buying $200 shoes and $600 jackets that often. If you have any speciality/high end outdoors oriented stores around you (REI, etc), you might get lucky, but I wouldn’t count on it.
Crap. I could go get fitted at a store who carries them, even if not in that color, and then order it online. But I just don't think I would come out good getting measured for another brand and then ordering that brand. However, if they cost in the $200.00 range, I doubt I would get them anyway. What are some more affordable brands of hiking shoes that I might consider that are carried in many stores, regardless of color? Hope you don't mind me trying to take advantage your obvious knowledge of sporting goods...LOL
I am not familiar with REI, so I don't know if there is one in Augusta or not.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Crap. I could go get fitted at a store who carries them, even if not in that color, and then order it online. But I just don't think I would come out good getting measured for another brand and then ordering that brand. However, if they cost in the $200.00 range, I doubt I would get them anyway. What are some more affordable brands of hiking shoes that I might consider that are carried in many stores, regardless of color? Hope you don't mind me trying to take advantage your obvious knowledge of sporting goods...LOL

I’d have to do some research on that. Affordable is relative...to some people, a shoe that is $200 but will last for many years is more affordable than one that is $120 but gets 2 years of use, max. On good things, I’m of the mindset of “buy once, cry once.” I’ll spend money on something that will last me/high quality, or just something that I’ll enjoy, for whatever reason I enjoy it (I have more than a few $800-$3000 custom pocket knives...lol).

Honestly, unless it’s a close out/clearance buy, most good shoes are going to be in the $150 and up range now, at least for anything looking decent and that anyone would actually want to wear. Again, you can find end of season sales on seasonal colorways for less than that, but it’s usually niche colors or a popular style where the size run has been pretty picked through.

You can look for Keen brand shoes, they are a really good outdoor shoe maker as well. They will be a little less costly than Arc’teryx, and maybe can find some styles on close out that get near or even under $100.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck

Right now, Moosejaw.com has that Arcteryx Norvan on sale for $116 (normally $175-$195). That’s a darn good price for Arc’teryx.

https://www.moosejaw.com/product/ar...-dFU-5pNwjdmRasgb--_wsKykWJTX6FRoCRdoQAvD_BwE