The Official 2020 Color Debate Thread

I made an entire post about that point. The overwhelming majority of schools offer more secondary/tertiary color options because most primary colors are very garish. Even the schools that have the most options for their primary color are only 50/50 at best between primary and secondary/tertiary options. But while I’m at it. Let’s add some pro teams to the list:
This isn’t just about teams that feature gold. Look at the items in my old post. Most teams offer at least 50/50 in retail items for secondary vs primary color options. Why? Once again, because nobody(tic) wants to wear bright orange, gold/yellow, red, burgundy, on a regular basis.
Clemson and Texas both negate your argument, since their fans seem not to mind wearing garish shades of orange, both at games and for everyday wear.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Clemson and Texas both negate your argument, since their fans seem not to mind wearing garish shades of orange, both at games and for everyday wear.

There’s always exceptions to every “rule”. Lol. But, to add to schools that use a secondary color a lot, UNC comes to mind now. Navy is most assuredly a secondary color, but it used a lot. Even as a primary on uniforms a good deal.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
That Nike gold hate you have is beautiful

The Nike is my second favorite. Even though the in the photo the balance is all off. Probably due to so many things being close to the same shade (carpet, all the “golds”), the Under Armour looks pink, but in real life it’s the closest to what I think our gold should look like. Even with a bit of a sheen to it.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I made an entire post about that point. The overwhelming majority of schools offer more secondary/tertiary color options because most primary colors are very garish. Even the schools that have the most options for their primary color are only 50/50 at best between primary and secondary/tertiary options. But while I’m at it. Let’s add some pro teams to the list:
This isn’t just about teams that feature gold. Look at the items in my old post. Most teams offer at least 50/50 in retail items for secondary vs primary color options. Why? Once again, because nobody(tic) wants to wear bright orange, gold/yellow, red, burgundy, on a regular basis.
Could name just as many examples proving the other way around tbh. We are passing up an opportunity to have a unique looking brand but whatever it’s up to the GTAA, nothing I can do about it.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Pops up on eBay every now and then if you are looking for one

They do. And I buy them every time I see them if they are new/like new. Lol. I keep a stash of them. Had up to 15 or so at one time (bought 2 sleeves of 6 each, incorrectly stated these were 12 each sleeve before). Gave/give a bunch away. I keep 3-5 or so on hand still though. When I find nice gold things, I tend to horde them.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Could name just as many examples proving the other way around tbh. We are passing up an opportunity to have a unique looking brand but whatever it’s up to the GTAA, nothing I can do about it.
Can you? Then please be my guest and start naming them. Find me any school or pro team without black or navy blue as their primary color where the overwhelming majority of their retail items are in their primary color. From my searches, I’ve found 1 definite (UCLA), and 3 possibles (UNC, FSU, Washington) to have more “primary” colored merchandise than secondary colored gear. Clemson? Nope. Texas? Nope. Georgia? Nada. Tennessee? Nah. Alabama? No siree. Wisconsin? Nope.

Do all of these teams offer more of their “primary” color than what Tech does in gold? Of course. But, and this is a huuggee but because this is what the entire argument is about, their primary colors do not dominate their retail merchandise. Most of them offer just as much gear in white/gray/black as they do their primary colors. What’s really interesting is when an item is offered in multiple colors, the secondary color options end up being more popular than the primary colored option a lot of the time.

What I think you guys want is for Tech fans to wear gold to games. And I would agree. I think most Tech fans do wear white or gold to games, but not in the numbers of most other teams and their respective primary colors. However, Tech’s primary color is one of the least attractive on the market and is bound to sell worse than anything offered in navy or white. There’s still plenty of great looking gold stuff out there though, from both adidas and other manufacturers. It’s not rocket science to find gold GT stuff.

Can you? Then please be my guest and start naming them. Find me any school or pro team without black or navy blue as their primary color where the overwhelming majority of their retail items are in their primary color. From my searches, I’ve found 1 definite (UCLA), and 3 possibles (UNC, FSU, Washington) to have more “primary” colored merchandise than secondary colored gear. Clemson? Nope. Texas? Nope. Georgia? Nada. Tennessee? Nah. Alabama? No siree. Wisconsin? Nope.

Do all of these teams offer more of their “primary” color than what Tech does in gold? Of course. But, and this is a huuggee but because this is what the entire argument is about, their primary colors do not dominate their retail merchandise. Most of them offer just as much gear in white/gray/black as they do their primary colors. What’s really interesting is when an item is offered in multiple colors, the secondary color options end up being more popular than the primary colored option a lot of the time.

What I think you guys want is for Tech fans to wear gold to games. And I would agree. I think most Tech fans do wear white or gold to games, but not in the numbers of most other teams and their respective primary colors. However, Tech’s primary color is one of the least attractive on the market and is bound to sell worse than anything offered in navy or white. There’s still plenty of great looking gold stuff out there though, from both adidas and other manufacturers. It’s not rocket science to find gold GT stuff.
I don't care what options are available for mutt fans, Clemson fans, and Texas fans, by far the dominant color seen on the streets are the primary colors of those schools. And, at least for Georgia and Clemson, that is predominantly what is available on the shelves. At least it certainly is in Augusta.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck

Again, a very good post. Particularly the part I quoted above.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I don't care what options are available for mutt fans, Clemson fans, and Texas fans, by far the dominant color seen on the streets are the primary colors of those schools. And, at least for Georgia and Clemson, that is predominantly what is available on the shelves. At least it certainly is in Augusta.
:LOL:
You literally asked what other schools did. I informed you, now you say you don’t care. Also, your perception of most Georgia and Clemson fans wearing red or orange respectively is just that, your perspective. It doesn’t make it true. Want to know why you probably notice a lot of red or orange? Because it stands out. They are bright colors that humans are instinctively aware of, lol. I guarantee you that you probably see more people wearing white, gray, black, or purple UGA/Clem stuff, you just don’t notice it because well, that’s the point. The items listed on the Fanatics pages are the most popular items bought online, and probably in stores if they use in store data as well. I’m not sure why you’re so argumentative about the fact that most schools sell at least, if not more, secondary colored apparel than primary colored apparel. Or why you’re arguing about the fact that gold sells poorly and navy sells excellently. It makes sense for GT to sell navy gear, just like it makes sense for any other team to sell black/gray/white gear. It just so happens that Tech’s primary color is one of the least attractive to consumers, therefore it’s offered less. You can get mad about that fact all you want, but it’s not going to change.

Like I said before, there’s still plenty of great looking gold stuff out there. It’s not that hard to find.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Let’s also not over exaggerate the fact that Adidas did, in fact offer gold (sand) gear this year. Almost everything they offered in navy they offered in sand. This is just a quick pic of stuff stored in the spare bedroom, and not all of my sand Adidas gear, but this was all since the beginning of 2019 football season.

There’s also the gold Adidas GameMode hoodie offered, and a few other pieces in my main closet.

c2f0f1338f712fd3b675b3b9b5d7de48.jpg

And gold gear was pretty readily available this year from a multitude of vendors. Again, this isn’t all my stuff, but what’s here in this bedroom. My main closet has more, and there’s about 60 hats around here too. Photographed here was all this past sports season. Every bit of it.

cc16c29f4e58c70ef308f84bd7896b50.jpg

The whole “no Gold” argument is laughable to me as you displayed. If you want Gold apparel, it is there.

C8B04ED6-E962-4157-8BC1-6118DCB074E0.jpeg

Here is my Gold Adidas selection

I guess I should have worded my post "I don't care what other options ANYBODY SAYS are available ...." Sorry that wasn't clear to you. As far as my "perception" of what other fans wear, that's just hogwash. I see SOME black Georgia gear being worn by their fans, and VERY LITTLE white gear. I see SOME white gear being worn by Clemson fans, and VIRTUALLY ZERO purple gear. I don't know where you live, but in Augusta, that is fact, not perception. I am not arguing whether navy or gold sells better; I am saying that they should both be available, and currently that is seldom the case. If both are available, then I, and a good many of my Tech friends would buy gold, if anything at all. None of us would buy blue. That seems to be the sentiment of Tech friends in Augusta, but not necessarily my Tech friends outside Augusta.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess I should have worded my post "I don't care what other options ANYBODY SAYS are available ...." Sorry that wasn't clear to you. As far as my "perception" of what other fans wear, that's just hogwash. I see SOME black Georgia gear being worn by their fans, and VERY LITTLE white gear. I see SOME white gear being worn by Clemson fans, and VIRTUALLY ZERO purple gear. I don't know where you live, but in Augusta, that is fact, not perception. I am not arguing whether navy or gold sells better; I am saying that they should both be available, and currently that is seldom the case. If both are available, then I, and a good many of my Tech friends would buy gold, if anything at all. None of us would buy blue. That seems to be the sentiment of Tech friends in Augusta, but not necessarily my Tech friends outside Augusta.

I think the point that some of us are trying to convey is that gold is never going to be made in large quantities or even to the same level as other colors, whether it be for us, FSU, ND, the Saints, 49ers, or any other team with gold as a primary color. Apparel companies are simply not going to do it. They’ve proven that very matter of factly with the above examples that have WAY more fans than we do, and fans that spend way more than we do...I can state for a fact that most companies that license collegiate gear know that GT fans don’t buy a lot of gear...it’s why we get dropped from product offerings completely, or have far less options than other schools...I hear this straight from their mouths. When no other, far more popular gold team has much gold gear, there really is zero way we can expect close to 50/50 split between our primary colors. Maybe GT needs to embrace more of what the football team actually has traditionally done...wear more white. That’s our other primary color, even though it’s bland. If our football team has always primarily worn white home and away, maybe that needs to be “our thing” as fans. White GT gear is plentiful. It just doesn’t do much for most people. But, apparel companies feel far more safe making it, so maybe that’s where we need to be, since we picked two pretty uneventful colors (tan and white) as our primary colors.

And we do have gold. It’s not as much in numbers as white (again, a primary color for us) or navy, but we do have it. I buy about 90% of my gear in gd. When looked at it relative to all other teams with gold as a primary color, I’d say we have at least as much choice, if not more proportionately. I count about the same number of gold tops on NDs website for sale as I do our bookstore’s website. And ND will always, 100% sell more of anything than we will. Just simple numbers there.

I think the point that some of us are trying to convey is that gold is never going to be made in large quantities or even to the same level as other colors, whether it be for us, FSU, ND, the Saints, 49ers, or any other team with gold as a primary color. Apparel companies are simply not going to do it. They’ve proven that very matter of factly with the above examples that have WAY more fans than we do, and fans that spend way more than we do...I can state for a fact that most companies that license collegiate gear know that GT fans don’t buy a lot of gear...it’s why we get dropped from product offerings completely, or have far less options than other schools...I hear this straight from their mouths. When no other, far more popular gold team has much gold gear, there really is zero way we can expect close to 50/50 split between our primary colors. Maybe GT needs to embrace more of what the football team actually has traditionally done...wear more white. That’s our other primary color, even though it’s bland. If our football team has always primarily worn white home and away, maybe that needs to be “our thing” as fans. White GT gear is plentiful. It just doesn’t do much for most people. But, apparel companies feel far more safe making it, so maybe that’s where we need to be, since we picked two pretty uneventful colors (tan and white) as our primary colors.

And we do have gold. It’s not as much in numbers as white (again, a primary color for us) or navy, but we do have it. I buy about 90% of my gear in gd. When looked at it relative to all other teams with gold as a primary color, I’d say we have at least as much choice, if not more proportionately. I count about the same number of gold tops on NDs website for sale as I do our bookstore’s website. And ND will always, 100% sell more of anything than we will. Just simple numbers there.
I guess that's why the song is "Up With the White and Gold", and not ".... Gold and White ". LOL
BTW, are you posting from your phone or from a desktop/laptop. For some reason, this morning, I am only able to make posts from my phone, not my desktop, using either Firefox or Chrome.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
:LOL:
You literally asked what other schools did. I informed you, now you say you don’t care. Also, your perception of most Georgia and Clemson fans wearing red or orange respectively is just that, your perspective. It doesn’t make it true. Want to know why you probably notice a lot of red or orange? Because it stands out. They are bright colors that humans are instinctively aware of, lol. I guarantee you that you probably see more people wearing white, gray, black, or purple UGA/Clem stuff, you just don’t notice it because well, that’s the point. The items listed on the Fanatics pages are the most popular items bought online, and probably in stores if they use in store data as well. I’m not sure why you’re so argumentative about the fact that most schools sell at least, if not more, secondary colored apparel than primary colored apparel. Or why you’re arguing about the fact that gold sells poorly and navy sells excellently. It makes sense for GT to sell navy gear, just like it makes sense for any other team to sell black/gray/white gear. It just so happens that Tech’s primary color is one of the least attractive to consumers, therefore it’s offered less. You can get mad about that fact all you want, but it’s not going to change.

Like I said before, there’s still plenty of great looking gold stuff out there. It’s not that hard to find.
Gold and and white should be the main colors provided by Adidas. Doesn’t mean we can’t have any navy but gold and white should be the main 2. It’s even been stated by the GTAA. Nuff said

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Gold and and white should be the main colors provided by Adidas. Doesn’t mean we can’t have any navy but gold and white should be the main 2. It’s even been stated by the GTAA. Nuff said

Just out of curiosity, how much apparel do you buy a year, and where are you buying it? Because as we’ve seen, gold is available. At least as much as other gold schools. And how this works is...Adidas will only make it IF the retail accounts(Dicks SG, Barnes and Noble, fanatics, etc) are asking for it, i.e, it has to be selling for them. It’s no different than me as an Adidas account holder. I can literally call up, and if I request a large enough quantity to make it worth their time, they will make me any apparel item I ask for in any color I ask for. That’s how certain retailers will have “limited editions”. But again, it’s all about numbers for not only Adidas, but me as a buyer. If I want a specific tint pink shirt, cause I think I can sell “some”, but when I ask Adidas what i have to order to get that item, and they tell me 20,000 units...I have to decide if there’s that much demand. My numbers would show it’s not, and Adidas isn’t going to make them and eat the ones I can’t sell. So...that garment doesn’t get made.

This is why I keep saying that we have to buy gold when we see it. Dicks SG and fanatics.com (and all the sister sites) aren’t going to order gold if they don’t see sell thru or demand. And those two move the vast majority of all collegiate gear. And that’s who the apparel companies answer to...if they aren’t ordering it/asking for it, it’s not getting made. Period. That’s how it works. It’s well thru numbers. Again, we have to continually show that we want all the gold gear we can get our hands on. But if the largest accounts aren’t ordering it (Dicks and Fanatics stock more blue gear for GT for a reason), it’s simply not going to get made in high numbers. Our bookstore is getting the majority of gold gear, because the relatively small number of avid GT fans that attend games (and that group is really the only ones that care about gold specific GT gear) shop there on gameday.

It’s all really simple. Our AA cannot force Adidas to make gear they don’t have buyers (wholesale accounts...Dicks, Fanatics) for, unless the AA is going to guarantee to purchase that stock and distribute it themselves. Adidas can’t make the largest retailers take it if they aren’t ordering it. And for almost every blue Adidas GT thing fanatics carried this past season, Adidas made a gold equivalent. Yet fanatics carried little of the gold versions. There’s a reason for that.

This is so simple of a concept that I don’t understand how people have trouble with it. Maybe I get it because I do this as an almost everyday task.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Just out of curiosity, how much apparel do you buy a year, and where are you buying it? Because as we’ve seen, gold is available. At least as much as other gold schools. And how this works is...Adidas will only make it IF the retail accounts(Dicks SG, Barnes and Noble, fanatics, etc) are asking for it, i.e, it has to be selling for them. It’s no different than me as an Adidas account holder. I can literally call up, and if I request a large enough quantity to make it worth their time, they will make me any apparel item I ask for in any color I ask for. That’s how certain retailers will have “limited editions”. But again, it’s all about numbers for not only Adidas, but me as a buyer. If I want a specific tint pink shirt, cause I think I can sell “some”, but when I ask Adidas what i have to order to get that item, and they tell me 20,000 units...I have to decide if there’s that much demand. My numbers would show it’s not, and Adidas isn’t going to make them and eat the ones I can’t sell. So...that garment doesn’t get made.

This is why I keep saying that we have to buy gold when we see it. Dicks SG and fanatics.com (and all the sister sites) aren’t going to order gold if they don’t see sell thru or demand. And those two move the vast majority of all collegiate gear. And that’s who the apparel companies answer to...if they aren’t ordering it/asking for it, it’s not getting made. Period. That’s how it works. It’s well thru numbers. Again, we have to continually show that we want all the gold gear we can get our hands on. But if the largest accounts aren’t ordering it (Dicks and Fanatics stock more blue gear for GT for a reason), it’s simply not going to get made in high numbers. Our bookstore is getting the majority of gold gear, because the relatively small number of avid GT fans that attend games (and that group is really the only ones that care about gold specific GT gear) shop there on gameday.

It’s all really simple. Our AA cannot force Adidas to make gear they don’t have buyers (wholesale accounts...Dicks, Fanatics) for, unless the AA is going to guarantee to purchase that stock and distribute it themselves. Adidas can’t make the largest retailers take it if they aren’t ordering it. And for almost every blue Adidas GT thing fanatics carried this past season, Adidas made a gold equivalent. Yet fanatics carried little of the gold versions. There’s a reason for that.

This is so simple of a concept that I don’t understand how people have trouble with it. Maybe I get it because I do this as an almost everyday task.

I don't think people have trouble with the concept. I'm somewhat neutral on this discussion in that I happen to like both the gold gear and the blue gear and I'm not super passionate about needing lots more gold gear out there, though I like to have the option and if given the choice between blue and gold I'll usually opt for gold. But I'm curious how much this is chicken/egg? I think I'm hearing some folks lamenting the fact that it's difficult for us to prove that we would buy more gold stuff if there isn't more gold stuff being made and the retailers don't want to make more gold stuff available until they feel comfortable that more gold stuff would be bought.

To be honest, for me the issue is not just what is sold, but where it is sold. I almost never purchase clothing online, because of fitting problems; I prefer to try something on before I buy it, or at least hold it up so I can be sure it is neither too large nor too small. In Augusta, there is virtually no Tech gear sold anywhere. Dicks has some around Christmas time, but nothing the rest of the year. I realize that's due to the market; if the market for any school or organization of any kind is not substantial in a given area, then the retailers just aren't going to mess with it. Getting Tech back to the level of public interest it has had in the past might change that somewhat, but we're nowhere near that point right now in any sport other than golf. So that leaves me with the sole option of buying in Atlanta, and that only in the Fall. Unfortunately, the offerings in the bookstore are seldom what I want, so I am stuck wearing the same old shirts and caps I have had for years. That saves me money (LOL), but I would still like to have some more options.