The most disappointing stat from yesterday was...attendance.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Proof?

UT sells out their allotment for every game in Athens. As does Auburn, USC (east), Kentucky, Alabama, LSU, Arkansas, Ole Miss. Vandy is probably the only SEC team that doesnt sell all their visiting team allotment at Sanford Stadium.

P.S. FL plays UGA in Jacksonville, FL (outside of a year or two when they were remodeling the Gator Bowl in the 90's). The Gators have zero problem selling tix for that game against the Pups. They could probably build a 200,000 seat stadium and still sellout UGA/UF in Jax.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk

I used to live in Knoxville and my roommate was a Letterman there who works with the AD there. He told me that UGA is a tough sell for them because of the fan base. He did not quote stats. I'll ask.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
This is interesting to me. I'm 25, so I think I have a slightly different perspective than perhaps the average poster on here. I think a lot of it has to do with how rapidly the world is changing. Personally, I was born into a college football family, so I was indoctrinated into its allure at a very young age. To me, there's no better entertainment on Earth. But the GT student body is changing. It's not as Southern and not as American, both of which detract from the likelihood of being a college football fan. I don't think that's a bad thing, it's just the reality. Furthermore, GT is in a booming city with incredible amounts of things to do. What else are college kids in Athens or Clemson going to get up to? The game is all there is to do. In Atlanta, any number of exciting things are happening (especially on a holiday weekend) that may make a college kid or alum think twice about attending a noon scorcher against a bad team. Of course, that was true decades ago as well, but the advent of the internet has multiplied it. People my age are hyper aware of anything and everything that's going on in the city.

And frankly, I think this is a problem that impacts more than just college sports, but it's the most apparent in college sports because of declining student section attendance. I'm not sure I'm articulating my argument terribly well, but I think my point is that basically there's more out there in the world to do now than there used to be, and it's further galvanized by the internet. With more options comes more likelihood that people will opt for something else. Again, not something I understand. I think college football is the perfect game and I haven't missed a GT game (be it in person, on TV, or, push come to shove, on the radio) since I started college. But not everyone's like that. And I think sports across the board will see declining attendance as the years march on.

LOL there is substantial overlap between GT football fans and Dragon*Con attendees. This season ticket holder and his guests among them. Football takes priority for me easily, but some aren't so easily swayed into attending our least appealing home game during an event that happens just once a year. I would absolutely bet it's a legitimate drag on our attendance. Maybe not huge, but certainly a contributor to diminished attendance among the many other things you listed.

This is absolutely the case. Not only because of liberalism or secularism, but because of the job market. For a Computer Science graduate, it makes no sense to stay in the South. That's why I moved out west.

Or at least I did for awhile. I'm back now. This secular liberal still can't make a home of anywhere but the South. Can't say I know why. But I 100% understand why so many people move.
I think you make a lot of excellent points. To me, the solution is complicated - obviously - but we need some fresh thinking all the way around. I think TStan is a great start, and hopefully , with more resources ( $ ) CPJ can improve performance noticeably.soon. But my impression from afar is that we need a serious upgrade in our PR and game day environment planning. Stories about BDS still needing game day improvements , the annoyingly loud rap music for instance ( a personal pet peeve in all venues for me - but I'm old ), inoperative water fountains in scorching conditions , etc. Yes, these are details , but details matter. I have beaten the scheduling issue to death , but it is still a factor , IMO. We are a GREAT school , with cutting edge thinkers and innovators , except , it seems when it comes to our football program. As an idea , put student minds to work , evaluating BDS and recommending solutions as a class project. They have a real world problem , right in their own back yard, for many majors in the school. The project might require some students to actually attend the games , when they never had before.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Here's a thought on why SEC powers do not schedule home and home against formidable opponents. They sell out regardless so why would they make their schedule more difficult by scheduling harder opponents? There is no benefit for them financially. We on the other hand do not sell out without an opponent who can draw both their own fans and Tech fans who are just interested in the "big game". We need to find more decent opponents who are willing to schedule home and home where we can help them draw bigger crows and vice versa. I don't think we should be giving UCF and USF home and home series since they don't help us draw fans to games. Maybe we should consider offering them a home game in return for 2 at our place but this would make more sense if we could drop for FCS games.
Agree !!

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
As an idea , put student minds to work , evaluating BDS and recommending solutions as a class project. They have a real world problem , right in their own back yard, for many majors in the school. The project might require some students to actually attend the games , when they never had before.

This might be my favorite idea that I’ve read on this board and it would be an excellent capstone project. How do you feel about emailing TStan?

Speaking of TStan, do y’all think TStan, CPJ, or others involved in GT football purposefully read boards like this to get ideas or see what people are thinking? I’m guessing “no” but just curious what y’all think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think you make a lot of excellent points. To me, the solution is complicated - obviously - but we need some fresh thinking all the way around. I think TStan is a great start, and hopefully , with more resources ( $ ) CPJ can improve performance noticeably.soon. But my impression from afar is that we need a serious upgrade in our PR and game day environment planning. Stories about BDS still needing game day improvements , the annoyingly loud rap music for instance ( a personal pet peeve in all venues for me - but I'm old ), inoperative water fountains in scorching conditions , etc. Yes, these are details , but details matter. I have beaten the scheduling issue to death , but it is still a factor , IMO. We are a GREAT school , with cutting edge thinkers and innovators , except , it seems when it comes to our football program. As an idea , put student minds to work , evaluating BDS and recommending solutions as a class project. They have a real world problem , right in their own back yard, for many majors in the school. The project might require some students to actually attend the games , when they never had before.

I think the putting student minds at work has been done. IIRC Todd even mentioned it recently, maybe a Toddcast.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
This might be my favorite idea that I’ve read on this board and it would be an excellent capstone project. How do you feel about emailing TStan?

Speaking of TStan, do y’all think TStan, CPJ, or others involved in GT football purposefully read boards like this to get ideas or see what people are thinking? I’m guessing “no” but just curious what y’all think.

I will listen to the Podcasts if possible and email TStan.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I suspect they don't. While I agree there are some nuggets of wisdom here from time to time, I think it would require to much time separating the fly $@^t from the pepper. Not enough ROI on their time. (I bet they would probably get a good chuckle out of most of us morons and our armchair quarterbacking though.)

I wouldn’t trash it altogether but they play too much over the PA system, in my opinion. In addition, the Alcorn State band was playing at the same time as the recorded music which was intolerable in section 102.

The AS band was also playing during the Budweiser song, but I guess there's nothing that could or probably should be done about that.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the putting student minds at work has been done. IIRC Todd even mentioned it recently, maybe a Toddcast.
Expanding the footprint of the stadium was a senior design project prior to Stansbury's arrival. Prior administration didn't do a thing with it. Expanding the footprint is the only way to both expedite security and provide more concession areas and I'm thrilled they did it. Probably the most beneficial thing they did to improve game day experience thus far.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don't know if it's a decision by the band or band director or stadium personnel, but the band now only plays after scores and at the end of the 3rd quarter (Budweiser song). Instead we are lambasted with that blaring crappy music they play over the stadium PA system. Let the cheerleaders lead the cheers and the band entertain and exhort the fans to cheer and sing or whatever, and trash that crappy recorded music.

Band imo isn’t loud enough due to their size and location. I sit on the opposite side of stadium from them in section 101.

What I’d like to see is microphones in front of their section piping into the loud speaker system. Might not be feasible technology wise. But I’d rather have the band amplified than hear piped in music. I couldn’t hear the Budweiser song at all with Alcorn band playing at same time.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
I talked to an Auburn grad this weekend and he said he LOVES watching Georgia Tech play and wishes more teams ran the option like we do.
Agree. When I'm out of state, when people find out I'm a Tech fan, it's the other person who brings up CPJ and the option. And they always say they love it and make a point of catching our televised games. This from as far away as Canada.

Milwaukee

Banned
Agree. When I'm out of state, when people find out I'm a Tech fan, it's the other person who brings up CPJ and the option. And they always say they love it and make a point of catching our televised games. This from as far away as Canada.

I've shared this story before but I'll share again. I had a layover in Detroit and I'm sitting there with my head down on my laptop (wearing a GT Ping pullover) and I hear someone say something to the effect of "Boy I just love watching your coach and that triple option". I look up and it's Jim Beilein standing in front of me in a full body Michigan track suit. Thought it was very cool.

Band imo isn’t loud enough due to their size and location. I sit on the opposite side of stadium from them in section 101.

What I’d like to see is microphones in front of their section piping into the loud speaker system. Might not be feasible technology wise. But I’d rather have the band amplified than hear piped in music. I couldn’t hear the Budweiser song at all with Alcorn band playing at same time.
I called today to comment on the lack of sufficient (if any, in some cases) water refill stations, and I also mentioned the blaring PA music instead of the band. The response was that the players and recruits like the music on the PA system. I merely said that the use of the band and cheerleaders would do more to enhance the level of excitement in the stands over that played on the PA system. She understood and accepted my comment. Regarding the water refill stations, she said they would have more in place by the Clemson game.

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I believe the band has almost 400 members, that is plenty big enough. I would agree with the placement. The visiting band by virtue of where they are will certainly be easier to hear from the LW....especially on the south end.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
I called today to comment on the lack of sufficient (if any, in some cases) water refill stations, and I also mentioned the blaring PA music instead of the band. The response was that the players and recruits like the music on the PA system. I merely said that the use of the band and cheerleaders would do more to enhance the level of excitement in the stands over that played on the PA system. She understood and accepted my comment. Regarding the water refill stations, she said they would have more in place by the Clemson game.
I don't like the piped music but the primary problem is lack of coordination between the band and whoever is in charge of PA system. Communication between the 2 parties is clearly lacking.

Nixon_Corral

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree with what others have said that this is a quality idea. Even if it's been done before, there's nothing wrong with having a new batch of students approach it from a different angle. Certainly I would have loved to have had this as a capstone project when I was in school.

Fully agree that Stansbury is doing the necessary things to right the ship, including in the details you mentioned. I just wonder if fans will tolerate underperformance for much longer. I think a lot of us on fan forums such as these (and thus with a higher-than-average understanding of the difficulties Tech faces in athletics) want to give Johnson time to improve the program. We understand that Stansbury's initiatives (such as improving our recruiting staff and budget) will take time to bear fruit on the field. But I don't know if the screaming masses that constantly want him fired have the patience that we do. Personally, I'd rather give Johnson time to fix his own program than try to hire someone else to inherit the aforementioned mess.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
LOL!! No I was agreeing with your post and suggesting that you should drop the mic. You said exactly what I was thinking. My bad.

It's a 4.5 hour drive for me, and I stay with friends. I consider myself lucky to be able to go to all the home games. When friends ask me if I go to the road games too, I remind them that all the home games are road games for me. Unless we're playing at Doak Campbell.

Btw....this really buzz killed my fantasies of flying to our playoff games in a Gulfstream 5.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I agree with what others have said that this is a quality idea. Even if it's been done before, there's nothing wrong with having a new batch of students approach it from a different angle. Certainly I would have loved to have had this as a capstone project when I was in school.

Fully agree that Stansbury is doing the necessary things to right the ship, including in the details you mentioned. I just wonder if fans will tolerate underperformance for much longer. I think a lot of us on fan forums such as these (and thus with a higher-than-average understanding of the difficulties Tech faces in athletics) want to give Johnson time to improve the program. We understand that Stansbury's initiatives (such as improving our recruiting staff and budget) will take time to bear fruit on the field. But I don't know if the screaming masses that constantly want him fired have the patience that we do. Personally, I'd rather give Johnson time to fix his own program than try to hire someone else to inherit the aforementioned mess.
Imperative that we have at least a winning record THIS YEAR , and any bowl. Otherwise, that coaching seat will get VERY warm, IMO.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Proof?

UT sells out their allotment for every game in Athens. As does Auburn, USC (east), Kentucky, Alabama, LSU, Arkansas, Ole Miss. Vandy is probably the only SEC team that doesnt sell all their visiting team allotment at Sanford Stadium.

P.S. FL plays UGA in Jacksonville, FL (outside of a year or two when they were remodeling the Gator Bowl in the 90's). The Gators have zero problem selling tix for that game against the Pups. They could probably build a 200,000 seat stadium and still sellout UGA/UF in Jax.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk

Many a time back in the day, I would be at the old Gator Bowl for that game and there would be dang near as many people outside the stadium eating, drinking, having a good time as there were in the stadium. It never ceased to amaze me. That game was a sight to behold as the action outside the stadium rivaled what was going on inside the stadium.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
This is interesting to me. I'm 25, so I think I have a slightly different perspective than perhaps the average poster on here. I think a lot of it has to do with how rapidly the world is changing. Personally, I was born into a college football family, so I was indoctrinated into its allure at a very young age. To me, there's no better entertainment on Earth. But the GT student body is changing. It's not as Southern and not as American, both of which detract from the likelihood of being a college football fan. I don't think that's a bad thing, it's just the reality. Furthermore, GT is in a booming city with incredible amounts of things to do. What else are college kids in Athens or Clemson going to get up to? The game is all there is to do. In Atlanta, any number of exciting things are happening (especially on a holiday weekend) that may make a college kid or alum think twice about attending a noon scorcher against a bad team. Of course, that was true decades ago as well, but the advent of the internet has multiplied it. People my age are hyper aware of anything and everything that's going on in the city.

And frankly, I think this is a problem that impacts more than just college sports, but it's the most apparent in college sports because of declining student section attendance. I'm not sure I'm articulating my argument terribly well, but I think my point is that basically there's more out there in the world to do now than there used to be, and it's further galvanized by the internet. With more options comes more likelihood that people will opt for something else. Again, not something I understand. I think college football is the perfect game and I haven't missed a GT game (be it in person, on TV, or, push come to shove, on the radio) since I started college. But not everyone's like that. And I think sports across the board will see declining attendance as the years march on.

LOL there is substantial overlap between GT football fans and Dragon*Con attendees. This season ticket holder and his guests among them. Football takes priority for me easily, but some aren't so easily swayed into attending our least appealing home game during an event that happens just once a year. I would absolutely bet it's a legitimate drag on our attendance. Maybe not huge, but certainly a contributor to diminished attendance among the many other things you listed.

This is absolutely the case. Not only because of liberalism or secularism, but because of the job market. For a Computer Science graduate, it makes no sense to stay in the South. That's why I moved out west.

Or at least I did for awhile. I'm back now. This secular liberal still can't make a home of anywhere but the South. Can't say I know why. But I 100% understand why so many people move.

Dadgum carpet bagging Yankee liberal. WSB Welcome South Brother. Glad you are back and good to have you. I think you are right about a slow steady decline of interest in sports across the board. People have other interests and more options to spend their time and money. May not be such a bad thing when you consider the craziness going on pro sports especially pro football. I have just about quit watching anything other than Tech football and basketball. Sadly, I will watch Tech baseball before watching the Braves and the only team I will see in person is Tech.