The Lew Effect

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
s3-news-tmp-111981-usain_bolt_0--2x1--940.jpg

Tyson-Gay.jpg

267041_1.jpg

The three fastest guys to ever run the 100m all look cut as f***.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Football is more than just speed. Also let's be real - Bolt would get jammed at the line on his first play in D1 football and be out for the season lol

I bet he also loses a considerable amount of his speed advantage as soon as he puts on 20lbs of football pads.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Based on post history, I’m far less defensive than you & some of your cohorts.

Maybe this will answer some of your questions

Good vid, thanks for posting. What I find reassuring is the variety of movement in the different exercises that work the same muscles. Also, the exercises that work entire muscle groups together and not in isolation. The human body rarely works it's muscles in isolation, especially on a football field. I find this video much more indicative of what gains we are likely making (even though it's not us in the vid) than a handful of before/after pics of guys flexing in the after pics and not in the before pics.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
In order to build strength, you have to push your muscles to the point of failure. After a certain level of strength, that requires the addition of weight. And if you are doing a complex exercise that engages many muscles, you can only push to failure whatever is weakest. For these reasons, it is necessary to lift weights with controlled movements in order to maximize strength gains. No one in their right mind would advocate for a training progress for D1 football players that involved no weight training. From this standpoint, we are clearly making gains that exceed the prior staff.

What we don't know from this data is how the other aspects of strength and conditioning are going. If they are out of balance, clearly our strength gains can be net loss, not just in loss of conditioning for other things, but also by restriction of movement from bulk.

All that said, I think it's pretty likely we are doing just fine with the rest of it, too. What definitely seems to be the case is that the new staff is creating greater motivation and effort in a system where goals are more unified and better integrated with nutrition. We might not be picking the goals optimally or even as well as the prior staff, but even in that setting this change in culture makes me think we are in much better shape right now.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
OMG really? We pulled an award winning football S&C coach back to ATL, the players seem to really enjoy what he’s doing and they seem to be getting stronger, and you find something to be concerned about with this? That’s what I call working overtime to find fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reading comprehension would serve you well. I never assigned fault. I asked a legitimate question based off an article written by a well respected S&C coach who trains collegiate and professional football players. I then went on to state that I was unsure if either side of this was right or wrong.

I can agree with that. Like I said, I remembered reading that article last year and posed the question. I am not sold that either side is right or wrong.

Maybe next time you should read the whole thread before assuming intentions?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Reading comprehension would serve you well. I never assigned fault. I asked a legitimate question based off an article written by a well respected S&C coach who trains collegiate and professional football players. I then went on to state that I was unsure if either side of this was right or wrong.

People are very sensitive to the slightest hint of criticism of the new staff even if none was intended.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer

Actually I read and comprehend just fine. I never said you were “assigning” any fault. I said that what you are posting, and I actually did read the whole thread, was looking for fault which is defined not only as assigning blame but “an unattractive or unsatisfactory feature”. It is this definition to which I was referring. And even after re-reading the thread and your comments it still appears in that post I quoted as if you’re trying to find something to criticize.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
People are very sensitive to the slightest hint of criticism of the new staff even if none was intended.

Actually this has nothing to do with who it is. I was, and still am, a huge fan and supporter of CPJ and his staff. The post in question felt, and still feels, as if it is searching for a way to be critical of something entirely positive.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer

Actually I read and comprehend just fine. I never said you were “assigning” any fault. I said that what you are posting, and I actually did read the whole thread, was looking for fault which is defined not only as assigning blame but “an unattractive or unsatisfactory feature”. It is this definition to which I was referring. And even after re-reading the thread and your comments it still appears in that post I quoted as if you’re trying to find something to criticize.

BTW If you say you weren't trying find error then I'll take your word for it. But be aware that it sure sounded like you were looking for a way to criticize something entirely positive.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Jojata, most of these guys dont attend the games and have no real info . (Augusta is a true fan.)

The content free posters have no idea about the Big B work out and what it means to the TEAM.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Yeah, the cutting is probably due to correct nutrition. I would venture to guess in keeping with the "NFL base" theme CGC has set, that Coach Lew and the Nutrition Lady are trying to get the players to a certain body fat percentage that reflects the NFL average body fat percentage for the player's position.
I’ve been yapping about stuff like this for years. Glad we’re finally doing something about it.

Thank you staff!!!!

slugboy

Staff member
Any reasoning why NFL teams didn't offer him the chance to work out? Or maybe they did offer him, he turned it down, and nothing ever went public about it?

He wants to play soccer for Jamaica

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk