The Head Coach Hated Me

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
All of this may/may not be true about CPJ. It's interesting. At the end of the day, our biggest problem now is not attitude but that we just don't have the jimmy's and joe's. How many players have we had drafted recently or made it in the NFL as a free agent compared to Clemson? A kicker who is great and maybe a few others who are playing on the margin but that's about it. The 14 team may not have great players but they had Mason, Days, Laskey. Perkins, Smelter, Waller, DJ White, Milton plus others and almost forgot JT.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
NM

Attachments

• 18k1ih.jpeg
    18k1ih.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 38

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I will challenge anyone to find quotes of PJ talking about players in the way you heard Dabo does for instance. It permeates every bit of the program.

Throw back to GaSo in 2014...we almost lost because of the half time interaction with coach and players

“But absolutely, I have great relationships with these players and that's the best part of my job is the interaction with these guys. I love them,” Swinney said. “I love what I do, and I'm passionate about helping them be successful and figuring life out, helping them be prepared for what comes after Clemson."
What happened in the locker room lol?

From what I’ve gathered, CPJ is a caring guy but when it come to coaching it’s his way or the highway and it comes across as not caring because he seems almost strictly business. The reason I say he’s caring is because of many stories of people he has helped.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
So PJ just rides around practice in a golf cart talking to boosters and the press? I find that hard to believe for some reason. What press would that even be? He apparently hates them all...

If this is in reference to practices at Tech, then yeah, I found that weird since practices are closed to the media and have been since PJ got there.
Now, at Southern, PJ would spend the first 8 to 10 periods of practice, not always, but frequently, talking to the press or the boosters - because at Southern, back then, practice was wide open. Anybody could come. Once, it got to team stuff and beyond indos and groups, PJ got out there and was on it.

And I don't know about PJ not having a personal relationship with his players. I was there on the field when they had the halftime ceremony for the GSU athletic hall of fame and he was one of the inductees.
Sitting in the first row of the stands to be there ... Nesbitt.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I will challenge anyone to find quotes of PJ talking about players in the way you heard Dabo does for instance. It permeates every bit of the program.

Throw back to GaSo in 2014...we almost lost because of the half time interaction with coach and players

“But absolutely, I have great relationships with these players and that's the best part of my job is the interaction with these guys. I love them,” Swinney said. “I love what I do, and I'm passionate about helping them be successful and figuring life out, helping them be prepared for what comes after Clemson."
I’ve heard CPJ many times talk about how this is more than football and he wants to better guys and teach them to become men, and teach life lessons beyond football ect.

bikeseat

GT Athlete
Interesting to hear that nobody on the 2014 team liked CPJ when one its stars, Zach Laskey, left the private sector and probably took a pay cut to come back and work at Tech. Oh, Erin Joe is also a GA and he was a starter on that team.

You GA where you have connections. Business decisions only

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I
Right on it's all about contacts.

For brief period 15 years ago my son was GA at OU., but decided to go the hugh school route. The people he worked with are still his friends and have recently talked w him about being college co oline coach.

Players that come back as GA are great at pumping up the program to the recruits.

I would like to see more GT GA.

The program does try to get the players good intern positions.
It has let Will Bryan intern in summers AT GTAA in some sort of intense physical training area . Iirc he is a business major and he wants to do something like this when he graduates.

Agreed, but that doesn't mean we should deny it happening in our current locker room for the past decade (as some are).
And I am not denying that. But whether at Tech or at any other school, unless the coach or his staff are total bums, such behavior in the locker rooms is generally due to a lack of real team leadership. I think we had that kind of leadership in 2014 and probably some, if not all, of the years prior to 2014. But I sure haven't seen any semblance of real team leadership since then, either on or off the field.

heyhellowhatsup

Jolly Good Fellow
Certainly. All I’m saying is that if Joe hated Sewak and CPJ as much as you claim, he could’ve just stayed at FIU, under a coach (Butch Davis) who has a lot of connections and a team which had a winning record last season.